New Naim system, lots of noise

Well, considering you appear to genuinely want to help Ill answer these questions since I had in fact left them out.

What does “mains that wasn’t clean” referring to? No, I do use a power conditioner of any sort. I have in the past, including ones that provide readouts of your power going in and out and my power is very stable and cleaner than most.

The listening room has dedicated power lines running from the Fuse Panel on their own breakers, but the entire house is obviously also run off that fuse panel, that is why I shut off every breaker in the entire house except for the one line feeding the system to eliminate any noise coming back from any other electronics, lights, fridge, washer, dimmers and literally everything else. You did not ask but it will matter, that the house is 10 years old, brand new custom built.

The entire system is on a dedicated stand, each one on its own shelf. The two power supplies are off to the side on their own shelf.

What do you mean by “cable dressing” and “Naim’s methodology”? The wiring diagrams that Naim provides online are quite clear and they were followed exactly. The cables are directional so I followed that as well. All of the power cables are routed neatly and away from the signal cables. Signal cables are not touching. Speaker cables are Super Lumina 3M banana.

Every piece was purchased brand new, factory sealed, so I have the full 5 year warranty.

Why am I talking to other Dealers??? Same reason that when I have a serious health concern I get the opinion of more than one doctor.

My relationship with my Dealer is much better than most, probably because I spend money and don’t bother him with small things I can do myself.

4 Likes

Such as your brand new system not working properly. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’d be curious if the noise is constantly a problem or only at times. Even though it is a lot of boxes (almost the same system as mine), my first test might be to install units that are known to be trouble free (dealer demos?) to determine if it is an equipment problem or something specific to your situation/property. If the problem persists I’d next try completely disconnecting everything but the system and see if that fixes the problem (or maybe all breakers except for the hi-fi room). If it does, start plugging things back in - small things first (like the refrigerator/freezer :smiley:) Adding , things until the problem occurs)

Maybe it is working properly, maybe its not. I will find out

But if all you have to offer is “Go to your Dealer”, then Ive heard you loud and clear. Unless you have anything else to offer you might as well stop posting in my thread.

Thanks Benjy, although everything you’ve touched on has either already been tried or discussed in this thread. The noise is constant, no matter what I do, as soon as you unmute the preamp.

There are many posts in this forum about correct cable dressing.

Just do a search for “cable dressing” and there is plenty of advice.

Naim equipment is excellent and it does no harm setting it up correctly to get the best out of it.

Naim cables like to be set up in a certain way, as stated, to get the best out of it.

Indeed, in the factory, they even have a “SNAIC SHAKER” to de-stress the Snaic.

Failing that, your dealer should be able to give advice on how to set things up.

DG…

Naim kit does not buzz, click or pop either of itself or through the speakers. There is something wrong somewhere. If the kit is new only the dealer should try to isolate the problem. You say you have a good relationship with dealer. Get him/her over to your place.

,is the Naim employee doing some “SNAIC SHAKER” blind testing?

1 Like

Guys:
MCnut has indicated he is an experienced long-term audiophile who is familiar with cable routing and issues of cable interference. His noise issues seem to be well beyond those variables, I am looking forward to hearing the outcome once his dealer is involved. My simple Naim system: Nova + Core into Harbeth HL5 XD’s is very quiet. I suspect a faulty component.

1 Like

No, he’s doing the “Snaic n Vac to put the freshness back”.

1 Like

Yet he states, he does not know about cable dressing.

DG…

Naim does ‘pop’ through the speakers when the relays ‘kick-in’ and off but this is normal…

1 Like

My apologies. Of course that is correct.

1 Like

DiggyGun:
I can’t speak for the OP, but as a fellow North American, albeit further north, I wouldn’t use the term ‘cable dressing’, although I assure you I do make an effort to place cables carefully. I was introduced to the term when I bought an LP12 and was advised on “dressing” the phono cable. I’m suggesting that our trans-Atlantic vocabulary may differ in this respect.

I think it means the same either side of the pond.

DG…

The only way to do it…

DG…

1 Like

There’s no possibility doing proper free hanging burndy cable dressing if you don’t accept starting on level 2-3 upwards and leave the bottom levels for cookie storage. I have no clue what Naim thought about this but :man_shrugging:

Again, Dave is on point. I did assume that “cable dressing” really meant cable routing and/or orientation. That has been considered from the start, as it is with any other system Ive owned. However, if some one is suggesting that I should do something unusual with the cables like twisting two pairs together 3 times then no. I have not done that and it would be absurd to me.

Well, it is absurd. But this is the Naim forum and anything goes, it can get quite anal.

Not sure where you are located, but if near nyc perhaps Richard would let you pm me, I’d be willing to have you try some or all of your system in mine and see if the noise is still there. I have 282 h/c dr and 250 dr, so you should be able to just substitute. You’d be welcome to try (unless you are a serial killer, in which case - NEVER MIND).

1 Like