New ND5XS2 arrived today

Just realised reading back through I may have contradicted myself somewhat!
My ND5 is now well run in having been in regular
use for many months from new.
When I first had mine when new I DID leave it playing 24/7 for a few weeks so even though it would have been set to standby after 60 minutes, it never did as I always had it playing Internet radio with the volume low or muted on my amp. I ran it continuously like that for a good few weeks so it was playing something all the time even when I wasnā€™t listening or in the room, beyond that it settled down and sounded more relaxed and less ā€œdigitalā€
I had a HiCap on my SN2 but Iā€™m running it in to my SN3 which replaced the 2 without and it sounds ok so far, amp is new so itā€™s a bit bright and lean but gradually now running the new amp in too.
Hope that makes sense, apologies if I wasnā€™t clear on my previous comments anyway!

1 Like

Got it, thanks. Next steps for me is a HiCap for the SN2 and new speakers once I decide on how to explain that to my wifeā€¦I donā€™t understand her shoes, purses and jewelry and she doesnā€™t understand my stuff. Itā€™s been that way for 31 years now so Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll figure this one out as well.
Brgds.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve not had any problems streaming Qobuz notwithstanding the increased global broadband demand.

Thanks Gromit

Hi @Mr.M - Iā€™m running the same ND5XS2 into my XS3 ad want to add the HiCap DR to my system (though due to funds, will be looking for a new second-hand one), iā€™d be keen to hear your thoughts re the sound as the XS3 settle inā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve updated my system in the past few days so itā€™s now Supernait 3 + NDX2 and Iā€™ve traded in my ND5 and HiCap as part of that process.
Still need to settle in both boxes as both new, but my aim is to run as a two box system for long enough to settle them in and see where I take it from there.
Iā€™ll almost certainly add in a HiCap and XPS eventually to end with a 4 box system but even as a 2 box setup Iā€™m pretty happy with how itā€™s sounding.
Of the NAITā€™s I used a HiCap on I would say itā€™s a worthwhile addition.

1 Like

Yup, same here. Wi-Fi all good here also and Iā€™ve done the Cisco switch, cascade, Vodka in, Bluejeans out malarkey madness, err, no thanks. The Wi-Fi solution is a much neater and sounds better for me also. The switches add too much bass and smooth things out too much for my liking. Like adding too much corn flower, making the music sound thick and stodgy! :grin:

1 Like

Like a sliding scale of gravy thickness from
lightly tinged water to something you could get a spoon to stand upright in!
True enough on the wired route, a lot of demos Iā€™ve heard of very expensive wired Ethernet kit from the likes of Melco personally left me feeling puzzled.
Itā€™s fair to say you do need to do a little optimisation on the Wi-Fi network to get the best out of it but my ND5 and now NDX2 sound absolutely fine to me over Wi-Fi and Iā€™ve had 0 issues with connectivity or dropouts. Both wired and wireless should work well without needing a lot of expensive kit or networking knowledge, I say use the one that suits your home environment best and donā€™t over complicate the things Naim spent a lot of R&D time and money simplifying and optimising.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m a believer in ā€œbits are bitsā€ concerning the audio signal even if I can detect subtle differences in ethernet cabling variations and switches. To my ears, which are excessively critical, there isnā€™t enough difference sound-wise between wifi and hardwired to warrant an absolute and clear preference. I am fully and unequivocally convinced, however, that my hardwired solution guarantees me much greater reliability and control with data delivery. This is paramount to me because I despise signal dropouts, inconsistency, stuttering, and data rate variations. It is like taking a road trip with an unreliable automobile, I simply prefer to avoid a breakdown. Iā€™m happy with mine and to each his own, be it wifi or hardwired. I faintly recall that itā€™s all about the music!
Brgds.

2 Likes

Give wireless a try. In my LAN, wireless connections are more reliable than wired. For audio and video streaming, latency figures matter more than bandwidth and latency might be lower on wireless connections, these days. But above all ā€¦ enjoy the new ND5XS2! Congratulations!

2 Likes

Hi nbpf,
Have been wireless for years and years, starting from the Squeezebox days. Once we got fiber a year ago, the family went crazy with all kinds of wifi connected IoT devices. I own a portion of that guilt. I went to considerable effort to discreetly hardwire 7 devices in the house including the streamers and Apple TVs. These devices are receiving upwards of 900 mbps of stable data over Cat6a cabling and it all works a charm. Itā€™ll be a cold day in hell before I revert to wifi for my streamers. Some folks are content to parade about with their pants well below their waist or dye their hair green. Iā€™m content to use my hardwires since I worked like a dog to install them! It all sounds fine to me! Hopefully, I wonā€™t be accused of xenophobic racism against wifiā€¦Iā€™d have to leave the forum!

1 Like

Informed choices there!
If you can hard wire end points easily and clearly have done already thatā€™s preferable naturally.
Thereā€™s a risk of this quickly snowballing into one of those networking type discussions!
Howā€™s the ND5 settling down now itā€™s had a few miles on the clock?

2 Likes

Hi David,

I wouldnā€™t get too hooked up on others opinions. Itā€™s what suits you that counts. I was just merely commenting from my own experiences, from which I did end up finding myself in a bit of a mess when I got caught up in the ā€˜maniaā€™ thread. I allowed it to spoil my journey. Anyway, congratulations on your purchase, I canā€™t praise the ND5 XS 2 enough. Itā€™s a stunning source component!

Happy Listening! :slightly_smiling_face:

@Mr.M Well, so far so good with the ND5. Fortunately, I wasnā€™t expecting a toe-curling big-O and that didnā€™t happen. I can detect the synergy with the SN2 and it does sound good on the right recordings. Lots of control and drive. Able to do more listening than component-scrutining and thatā€™s what the (n)aim was. Still want to receive the replacement Hi-line that had arrived defective and add a HiCap for good measure. 3 boxes should be enough to procure enjoyment for a while. Definitely donā€™t regret the purchase even if it remains a modest system by some standards. Thanks.

2 Likes

@Stephen_Tate Hi Stephen, yes I followed your adventure with its ups and downs. You took a bit of heat on that one indeed. The thing is, youā€™re right, this is all very subjective and we need to identify a place to stop and just enjoy the music. I wonā€™t question any longer my audio signal delivery configuration. It just works and if it ainā€™t broken, I wonā€™t seek to fix it!
Brgds.

1 Like

I ran exactly that setup up until quite recently @anon64018693. SN2 + HiCap DR + ND5 XS2 + Hi-Line.
In my case I already had everyrhing apart from the ND5. I had a gen 1 ND5 a while back and whilst I found it OK it was no where near as capable as the gen 2 you now have.
The HiCap is a worthy addition and will just make a lot of things click in to place certainly on bottom end cohesion and reducing the muddle in the midrange soundstage to an extent.
Iā€™ve since made some changes and moved to a SN3 and NDX2 but in doing so parted company with my friend the HiCap. It wasnā€™t an easy loss, I know what it can do having used it on an XS-2, SN1, XS 2 and SN2 over various system phases.
Iā€™ve found the SN3 is quite similar to the SN2 in many respects but seems to have an improvement to the soundstage dimensionality , grip and timing are more defined especially in the mids to upper mids which have a habit of getting congested at times on the SN2.
In your case adding a HiCap is a worthy addition and one youā€™re sure to enjoy. The ND5 will take a few weeks from new to settle down I found, the firmware has also improved through the last year and Iā€™m finding myself using the Naim app a bit more than usual having gone on a discovery journey with Roon.
Keep the updates coming on your experiences always nice to hear of others journeys with similar systems.

1 Like

@Mr.M Thanks for the feedback. Do look forward to a HiCap indeed but the economic apocalypse has me watching my sheckles rather closely now. The Minister of Finance with whom I am betrothed is fundamentally opposed to eating cheap pasta exclusively for the next month. But hey, a bit of salt, pepper, olive oil and pesto sauce would be fine meā€¦

Thereā€™s a broken cable or device somewhere if wireless is more reliable. Also impossible for latency to be lower unless there is something massively wrong.

This is a time to troubleshoot your network, not recommend it. :wink:

1 Like

If it helps, thereā€™s deals to be done out there, this was the case for me with the NDX2 which pre-plague was way down the road on my system journey, maybe out in to the years given I only bought my ND5 XS2 new a year ago!
Thereā€™s currently no new stock feeding the distributor network so if you can help move demo kit on or do a trade in youā€™ll find dealers somewhat more willing to ā€œdo a dealā€ than normal.
If a dealer thatā€™s local or even in country has a HiCap sat on a shelf in a demo room gathering dust, make a reasonable offer with a take it or leave it approach.

1 Like

Well said David! The test that convinced me with the new streaming boards is to unplug the Ethernet connection or WiFi after 30 seconds or so into a track and the music kept playing thanks to the stream being buffered. This led me to stop tinkering and just listen to music.

2 Likes