New on the Forum and some advice re turntables

Agreed; do not worry about this one iota. Find a turntable that meets your pricepoint and that’s an appropriate match for the Star (not a toy nor a decked-out LP12) and just enjoy.

2 Likes

Did you make cassette tape recordings with Dolby back in the 1970’s and 80’s? It’s somewhat similar.

Certain frequencies are artificially boosted and others diminished when a record is cut. Upon playback, the hi fi (the phono stage) undoes that and reduces the boosted frequencies and boosts the cut ones to end up somewhat close to “even.” Some believe that this is responsible for some of what we hear as the ‘vinyl sound.’ In any event, all of this will have been done prior to the signal reaching your Uniti Star. That signal is digitized within the Star but should still sound “like vinyl.”

Especially on this forum, we over complicate matters -especially for the Newbie, whom we should be welcoming rather than confusing

3 Likes

One persons complication is another person’s helpful fact. I regret none of it.

1 Like

I don’t mind if things get over-complicated , sometimes that’s how we learn, I do not like it when people get get “Facebookish” with each other, i.e over aggressive about seemingly trivial variances of opinion

2 Likes

Ian2001, I have read plenty of differing thoughts on cables and inputs - the think is the Star has so many inputs that I am intrigued to try as many of them as possible. In reality, as a one box solution there probably isn’t any real need for most of them in my set up. probably will just end up being the RCA inputs for a turntable.

Actually, someone gave me a Marantz CD 63 KI Signature player yesterday and I currently have that hooked up to the RCA’s just to hear what it sounds like - I always wanted one of these back in the day but although it is good I don’t think it sounds as smooth or has such a good soundstage as the player in the Star but I think a separate vintage system might be looked at now (if the wife doesn’t put her foot down too hard)

1 Like

Thanks Bart - yes used to have a nice Denon DRS610 cassette player that I regret giving away along with my old Marantz CD52 but thanks for the explanation - every day is a school day.

1 Like

Frenchrooster and Geoff_2403 - thanks for the advice on the input. I think I am going to look at a P6 if the dealer round my way gets any back in stock. I think that would give me some leeway what upgraditus strikes.

Have to say I am enjoying the forum and appreciate everyones thoughts

3 Likes

It can, but there’s now also the SL-100C which doesn’t have the phono (and a slightly cheaper cart). Might be worth the savings if an external phono is to be used anyway. The money saved can be put towards upgrading the cart or a better phono stage.

I would choose one of these (or the GR if the OP can stretch) over the Rega.

1 Like

Interesting - just had a look on line at the Sl-100C and the 1500 mentioned above. certainly looks nice and gets good reviews.
However this leads to more confusion between belt drive and direct drive and which is best. I suspect the direct drive Technics is more convenient as it can play 3 different speeds (not that I have any 78’s) but I always thought belt drive was the way to go to avoid motor noise/rumble - maybe things have moved on on the direct drive front?

No real answer as to which is “better.” There are very good examples of each on the market, at various price points. Belt drive tt are still obviously very much in vogue and being manufactured widely still. Direct drive never supplanted it despite thoughts 40 years ago that it would or might. But there are very good direct drive tables being made too.

In your price point I suspect you can’t go wrong either way.

I guess people wouldn’t buy the Technics TT if they weren’t any good, I will have to give one a try. Thanks for your thoughts

2 Likes

An old friend has the forerunner of the P6 with a Dynavector cartridge and Stageline and he loves it.

1 Like

Sorry to resurrect this thread after a while however I finally got round to listening to a Rega P3 and P6 - return to the office and new grandchild got in the way!
Anyhow, the P3 was equipped with an Exact Cartridge and listening to that was good but moving onto the P6 equipped with an Ania cartridge was like night and day difference. ~everything was better, better soundstage, better bass, better everything. My son who was with me really noticed a major difference and said the P6 was the one.
So now the question in my mind is, is the Ania Pro a major step up from the Ania and does it make any sense given that I am a complete novice and the difference in price would buy a lot of records. Unfortunately I couldn’t audition the Ania Pro so have no idea.
Many thanks in advance

If it were me I would buy the P6. Building a record collection is the work of a lifetime so no rush imo.

1 Like

The 6 is a lovely deck and if the budget will stretch I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. The general consensus is that the Pro is worth the extra, though don’t forget you will also need the Fono MC phono stage, which costs £250.

I wondered much the same about the A/D conversion , currently listening to a thirty year old NAT03 into a Nova and it’s pretty good.

…in the area that matters, listening to music,there is no such thing as being a novice. If it sounds better to you, it is better.
Enjoy your adventures in vinyl, many of us here do.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, @Greybeard , you have zero or very little actual Vinyl…?

If so, I would recommend you do not spend too much on a ‘Record Player’, at this point. A Rega P3 would seem ideal. Plus whatever you need to make it work/connect to your system.

You can keep further leaps up the Vinyl ladder, to when you have, say, 100LP’s… :thinking:

Just my view - YMMV, as always.

1 Like

Except that he already listened and heard how much better P6 is. If he buys the P3 he may never stop thinking about that. Some of us are wired that way.

I’ve listened to very expensive hi fi gear but can wall that off in my mind as not happening due to cost. But that’s different, at least to me.