New on the Forum and some advice re turntables

For years I only ever used a carbon/felt brush. Recently I bought a Knosti manual cleaner. As wasn’t sure about a vacuum based machine. It does a good job, but the rationale of using a bath of fluid that you reuse isn’t as good, I think, as a vacuum machine that uses a smaller amount of fresh fluid per disc. Anyway, it’s a cheaper option, between a brush and a vacuum machine.

I had found the Pro-ject VC-S on Amazon and wasn’t sure if it looked a bit Heath Robinson but interested to hear it does a good job. Hadn’t heard of a Knosti so will have a look at this too.
Has anyone looked at a Spincare cleaner?
I read somewhere about washing and a window vac but not sure that is such a good idea. Looks like vinyl could be an expensive pastime!
Thanks for the recommendations

The project machine is a solid investment, just budget for some ear defenders whatever you end up with as they typically sound like a cheap wet and dry hoover in use.
Not a job for late at night as I discovered with my kids being woken up and wife tutting at me :slight_smile:
Oddly enough I own both a Rega 3 and 6 and in line with other comments, you’ve made the best choice going with the better deck, they last for decades and need very little in the way of looking after apart from an occasional dusting and cartridge refresh occasionally, enjoy the journey, lots and lots of
fun to be had building up a vinyl collection.

If the dealer comes round sets it up and you like it, please buy from him.

I am always willing to pay list price in return for good personal service

2 Likes

I have a Spincare cleaner. It is an inexpensive option and has improved the playability of some of my worse records with a significant reduction in surface noise. As evidenced by the amount of crud at the bottom of the tank after use it removes a lot of dirt.

It’s well made and compact. The included drying rack is nice and the way it stows in the bottom of the machine is clever.

Using it is a simple but laborious and time consuming task. A limiting factor is the drying time, further limited by the 10 disc capacity of the drying rack. Realistically I would say that 20 discs is about as many as you can clean in a batch before losing the will to live! By the time you have the machine, drying rack, cloths, and so forth on the table it takes up a fair bit of space.

I certainly don’t regret the purchase and will probably end up using it for my dirtiest discs and my 7” singles. (You can accommodate these by repositioning the little rollers very easily)

For speed and convenience I will probably end up getting the Pro-Ject VC-E. Both my HiFi dealer and friendly local record shop have told me that it’s a good bit of kit.

1 Like

I like it…!!! Not expensive and simple to use. I have very few records (which were bought used) which actually need cleaning, so a Spincare could be the answer for me…!! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ian the dealer bought round the demo P6 and everything necessary to connect it to my Star. He did this on a Saturday afternoon when he wasn’t working in his showroom. He’s a really nice guy as well so when he wants his demo deck back I will be asking him to bring round a P6 Ania Pro. If it is even better than the standard Ania it should be a treat

1 Like

I am liking the sound of the Spincare. Once I have built up a decent collection of vinyl it looks like the sensible option is to go with the Project. Vinyl looks like another rabbit hole to disappear down.

2 Likes

Spincare and Knosti are functionally the same, bath of fluid, brushes in the bath, your finger to rotate each record slowly. I do 10 at a time in a batch, long enough before I want to spin one on the TT :slight_smile:

If you go on the Spincare website it seems to be offering a 15% discount too

Yes I think the Spincare is going to be on the Christmas list.

P6 with Ania Pro now ordered. Dealer did me a good deal with the Phono MC and it came in at about the same as RRP as the standard Ania. Three weeks lead time but he is letting me keep the Demo P6 a bit longer

4 Likes

For dust removal before playing I use a Goldring/Milty Estatic brush.
always use it in the same direction and with just the weight of the brush pressing on the record.
The wet cleaners come in handy if you buy a lot of used vinyl.

1 Like

Buying a turntable while not owning a decent collection of vinyl is a high cost to benefit proposition.

That is a fair point - well made. However people are always asking what’s on the Christmas list - well now I have a few answers for them without is being too expensive, one at a time.
Plus, SWMBO has never before said that sounds great in relation to my hifi purchases - normally not interested but this time she says keep it. She Who Must be Obeyed (in this instance!)

2 Likes

We all have to start somewhere and now you have started, you will probably find its your new go to when buying new music

I have an original Decca Brush -

s-l500

Excellent for a quick clean - and can also clean your stylus…!

And for difficult cases, a Watts Manual Parastat -

VINTAGE-THE-PARASTAT-GRAMOPHONE-RECORD-CLEANING-MACHINE-Manual

Original fluid has run out - but similar blue/green fluids can be found , on line.

Works well, on used LP’s… :thinking:
Shifts the muck & kills the static.

2 Likes

blimey - looks older than me.

yes absolutely correct. We have just come back from seeing the great Curtis Stigers at Ronnie Scott’s. SWMBO’s instructions are buy his album on vinyl

A related question.
Being a vinyl novice I have noticed that static builds up to the extent that when you pick the record off the deck the platter mat sticks to the record and comes off the platter as well. I get that static builds up but how and why, and what can I do to stop it. The disc isn’t charged when I put it on the deck but is after listening to it. There is probably loads of answers on t’web but seems like there is a wealth of experience on here that can offer a better answer - thanks in advance

Run the LP through a record cleaning machine. The static will disappear.

2 Likes