New or Pre-loved

Why ?
We don’t even know the partnering equipment.
By the time you get an hicapDR, good ancillaries and maybe speakers it’s worth moving to something like 282,250 etc.

202 absolutely needs a hicap. Better to go for both preowned and 282/200 would be my choice.

Perhaps this is a naive question but do other brands need recapping and servicing? I’d never heard of it before

Anything using Capacitors does. Guitar amps, for instance. Any sort of amp or power supply - or virtually anything.

The difference is that Naim recognise this - and do something about it…!

Up to you, whether you choose to believe this or not.

2 Likes

I have no hesitation in believing that a refresh of electronic parts make a difference having experienced it. I do have a doubt though as to when it should become necessary rather than just a ‘nice to have’. I haven’t seen anyone willing to give a measurable metric as to when this point occurs, either in sounds heard (or not heard) by monitoring equipment, or by measurement of the electronic components themselves. Is this really something beyond the wit of man?

I believe there are people on this Forum, who can attest to Naim amps - particular the older CB/Olive ones, going ‘off song’, after 8 years or more - and being remarkably restored, once serviced.

YMMV.

Naim work on the basis that maintaining optimum performance over the lifetime of the kit is basically what your trying to achieve. For sure, much of the kit will go for many years working fine, but after a certain time capacitors and components go out of spec and no longer perform optimally - not just Naim either. For some kit, such as the regulated amps, due to the design (essentially one amp regulating another) you must have it working optimally otherwise performance goes off pretty steeply. This is pretty unique to Naim as they are one of the only makers of fully regulated power amps.

3 Likes

For those who don’t know, the regulated amps are the 250 and above (and the original 200, from many years ago).

The others - 120, 160, 180, 200 (new), 110, 140, 100, 90, etc - are conventional - and are not regulated amps.

1 Like

Thanks Richard. This wasn’t a dig at Naim but just my logical brain trying to understand the tipping point.

For the ignorant, can anyone expand on what regulated mean? Of course I may not understand the answer, but worth a try

2 Likes

It’s a very good thing when it comes to power amps, but very rare and difficult to do well, and something of a Naim speciality. In layman’s terms, a regulated amp is effectively two power amps where one acts as regulator for the other. It means that the power amp’s performance is rigidly regulated so as things get tough it doesn’t let performance slide a bit to make its life easier.

4 Likes

OK, I will try…

A ‘normal’ power amp will have an un-regulated power supply - so the actual power supply voltage may well vary.

In Naim-world, we are familiar with Regulated Power Supplies, such as the HiCap or Super cap, etc. - which are used to power Pre-amps, and other items.

In a 250 (or similar), the power supplies for the amp are regulated - effectively its another amplifier. Pictures of 250’s will show 2 pairs of board - 2 are the amps, 2 are the regulated power supplies.

Thats getting close to the limits of my knowledge. The idea is that the resulting amp is more capable of driving awkward loads, that a normal un-regulated amp would be. Greater control, if you will…

2 Likes

My TT and its minions are all new, but my system is otherwise entirely pre-loved. I have a system which would have been unthinkably expensive for me if I hadn’t built it up over the years from second hand boxes.

Don’t be afraid of the older stuff. An 82 will knock a 202 out of the park, and a 52 will leave a 282 gasping in the weeds.

Someone with chime in to tell you that this is A Subject Of Great Controversy on the forum, but that’s the price of free advice.

2 Likes

I fully concur with this sentiment. My system is nearly all pre-loved. And with a bit of luck, will become more so, next year (fingers crossed - no details - might spook it…).

Thanks for the explanation @Richard.Dane and @IanRobertM

1 Like

Where were you when I had a perfectly good 202/200 just sitting after , I up-graded to 282/250dr? :laughing:. I ended up using them as a down payment on a new ndx-2. I understand the purpose of this board and the rules, so no way we could have done some sort of deal. It is a very good combination, fwiw, I never had a naps-c on that system and unless you can find one very cheap , I feel it can be left out ( I n ever did a comparison, but the sound was always very good).

Well thanks for the information .So I think a pre loved 202 and a new 200, as a pre loved 200 might need a service.I forgot to say that I have Allae speaker and I will not be changing for a long time .Thanks again.

Why not preloved 200? You could check the year of manufacture from the serial number (and check service history with Naim if older than 10 years).

Could save you a fair amount and you would get most/all of it back if you decided to move further up the ladder.

2 Likes

If you intend buying s/h at a dealer I’d certainly be listening to other options than just a bare 202/200.

1 Like

Personally, I think it’s amazing that Naim gear lasts so long and I don’t think it is unreasonable to have to service it every (quite a) few years. I can’t think of any other electrical equipment in one”s home that comes close.

6 Likes