New PC for Roon

Hi all - I am changing my pc … with home working I decided that I could rationalise my PC’s … I have an old monster gaming rig … that gets hot and noisey … and a little NUC i7 which runs Roon and everyday computing… I have discovered I am using the NUC more and more it is reasonably powerful… that got me thinking…so I have decided to ditch the old gamer pc and the hot noisy little nuc … for a mini pc Asrock X300 with a beasty little APU the 4750g pro…fitted with a really good quiet cooler (IS-47K)

Has anyone had experience of Roon running on differing pc’s … is there a sound quality difference? I could always keep the nuc and just use it for music…

All I can tell you is that I noticed a small but significant sound quality improvement moving from a QNAP fanless NAS to a Roon Nucleus+ in favour of the latter

When I first started using Roon, I tried it on Windows 10, a Mac Mini and finally a NUC running ROCK.
I wouldn’t be able to tell you which was which if I hadn’t connected them myself. No difference for me.

Personally and perhaps only me, I would not seek to use my daily driver pc as a server.

1 Like

Compared Roon core on MacBook vs Synology NAS - I couldn’t tell any difference in sound quality

1 Like

I can’t say about the sound, I doubt differences, but I can say that running Roon Rock on a dedicated NUC (I am using a fanless “cirrus7 nimbini media edition”) is great, it just sits there and does its thing, no hassle with updates or anything, and music works even if the main computer breaks

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.