New releases and meta data

Just been ripping the new Garbage CD, which was out last Friday. When I ripped it on my Star no metadata was added, tried updating metadata with app with no success. Yet, when I used Windows Media Player to rip onto MP3 for the car, metadata was found.

Does anyone know why Naim takes so long to add metadata to new releases?

BTW, I was pleasantly surprised some month back when I compared a Star rip to a Windows Media player rip at how much better the Naim WAV file sounded.

It’s not how long Naim take to add metadata because they don’t do that at all. The Star and Core use commercial metadata services, the main one of which is Rovi. There wasn’t any metadata there because the publisher of that recording hasn’t added it to the Rovi database yet (at least not against that pressing identity). Presumably Windows uses a different metadata service.

Best

David

1 Like

Given the number of releases of all the bands that there are globally it seems obvious that it is a major undertaking and some time will elapse before the various meta-data sources are updated. To lay the blame for this taking a while at Naim’s door seems a little…entitled?

No need to be snarky because I ask a question, hoping for an answer.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer.
I am right in now thinking, it is nothing to do with Naim’s unusual way of storing WAV metadata then?

It’s nothing to do with that at all!! How could it be?

This is not unique to Naim. I have ripped many CD on day of release and the cddb has not even known what it was. Roon has much the same issues. But this will auto populate at a time when the data does become available.

1 Like

I have no idea, I am not an IT person, hence my apparently stupid question and wonderings.

There are only a small handful of online metadata lookup services out there. Naim subscribe to three of them in order to retrieve metadata when you rip a CD, and there will always be the odd occasion when a new CD has not yet found it’s way onto a database. Give it a few weeks and it will probably be added. If not, you can always add it manually yourself.

1 Like

It was three, but it’s two currently, as Freedb has shut down now. Naim use Rovi and MusicBrainz.

Best

David

I had exactly the same problem with this album - saw that it had no metadata on my Core, so ripped it using DB Poweramp on the PC (from memory it used FreeDB as a source). As pointed out, there’s a small number of metadata sources, and it seems reasonable with the ones that Naim has chosen.

The bit that I’m grumpy about is that the current Core OS will record your manual metadata changes, but doesn’t reflect the changes in the file or folder names (which was one thing that the UnitiServe did well). This means that you end up with folders with random folder names and file names - making them useless for indexing by other services such as Roon. It’s a pretty major shortcoming which I hope is on a backlog for fixing soon.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.