New Right to Repair legislation

I noted the latest laptop from Apple was thicker than the previous. the talk is the previous chief designer Jony Ive demanded very thin machines which forced them to the terrible butterfly keyboard-design. I have one of those, you need to have a can of pressurized air always available to clean it. now its back to the old design.

3 Likes

btwā€¦

In the first instance, the rules will only apply to companies producing dishwashers, washing machines, washer-dryers, dryers, fridges, freezers, televisions and ā€œother electronic displaysā€ for home use. Laptops, tablets and smartphones are notably excluded from this latter category.

For appliances used by businesses, the rules also cover electric motors, vending machines, retail fridges and freezers, power transformers, welding equipment and light sources. Further products may be added to the requirements in the coming years.

1 Like

Ok thanks, have you a link to the legislation?

I searched for

ā€˜right to repair uk rulesā€™

1 Like

I bought my wife our Dualit 4 slice for her return from hospital after giving birth to our first-born (I know, I know)ā€¦

Heā€™s 23 nowā€¦ he makes lovely toast with it.

G

3 Likes

It happens. My dad once bought my mum an iron for her birthday, ā€œBut you said you wanted a new oneā€¦ā€

Those fateful words are still etched in my distant memory from about 40 years ago. Iā€™m not sure heā€™s quite out of trouble yet.

2 Likes

Have just returned from Tesco with a new kettle, old one failed this morning. Oddly forgot to check the fuse until I got the new one home but it wasnā€™t that.

I actually bought the same plastic Breville model that only lasted 18 months and failed today, primarily as it was ok when it worked, but largely because a few metal ones either from Morphy Richards or Russell Hobbs imparted a horrible taste to the water. The base/connector design is slightly different so I couldnā€™t even try the old kettle with the new base (same model but ā€˜continuing improvementsā€™ noted on the box), looks far cheaper with exposed connections rather than sealed which are opened by putting the kettle on it.

Any recommendatios for a high-end kettle?

I have a kitchen aid one, looks lovely but I am not sure it boils water better than a cheaper kettle.

1 Like

Yes they all do the same job. It was an ā€˜emergencyā€™ purchase to be honest, as was the previous one, so I was happy buying a model I vaguely knew.

There are a few foibles with kettles though, the main one being ease of pouring and this one does well but has a removable lid - I prefer ones which are on hinges but those mechanisms can fail.

I bought my first wife a washing machine one Christmas.

I am on my third.

Wife, not washing machine.

2 Likes

So the washing machine has lasted all that time? :smiley:

Reminded of John Wayne in North to Alaska:

ā€˜Ahh, women! I never met one yet that was half as reliable as a horse!ā€™

1 Like

I do like my Dualit Classic, although it hasnā€™t been 100% reliable. It does boil quickly and quietly, and seems to be solidly built.
Having said that, I have a cheap ordinary plastic kettle in the loft. It worked flawlessly for 20 years, but didnā€™t look very nice and I was tempted by a nicer looking, fast boiling steel kettleā€¦and anotherā€¦and now yet another - each one of them has died, and the trusty old fallback kettle has been bought back into service to tide us over. I sometimes wonder why I bother.
I do wonder if the fast boil 3kW units are inherently less reliable than the old fashioned, lower powered coiled elements you get in cheaper kettles, as they are the ones that have proved unreliable in my experience.

1 Like

That looks quite nice actually, would match our Dualit toaster though I rarely eat toast these days.

Yes, I think they are nicely designed and they donā€™t look plain weird just for the sake of standing out from the crowd, which to my eyes is the case with a lot of this sort of stuff.
Part of the appeal when I bought it was the notion that you could easily take it apart with just a screwdriver and repair it by just buying the parts. I was more than a little miffed when I discovered that the number of internal parts actually available to purchase is precisely zero.

1 Like

I realise weā€™re going off tangent here, however on the subject of toasters, the Sage 4 slice we got last year is an excellent bit of kit. Certainly the most efficient, useful and well designed toaster Iā€™ve ever had.

I was tempted by their kettle allowing different temperatures for different teas.

We have the standard glass Sage kettle, smaller than usual, makes enough for two large mugs of tea each time.

Quite neat it is too, though needs descaling frequently as you can see the scale build up and it has no scale filter. Though I guess because you can see the scale, itā€™s a useful reminder to descale it!

1 Like

Good Evening All,

Iā€™m not sure what a couple of posters above are on about viz a viz spares for Dualit toasters.

Ours stopped working several years ago and I set about dismantling it to find out what was wrong.

The wire feeding one of the elements had ā€˜shearedā€™. I was able to re-attach it but ordered a kit of parts to effect a ā€˜properā€™ repair which consisted of assorted screws/ washers and a length of suitable wire.

As the toaster is still working the ordered parts are pinned to the kitchen notice board in a plastic bag should they become necessary in the futureā€¦

Regards

Richard

1 Like

Kettles, not toasters.

If that was a Christmas present, how did that go down?

1 Like