New - Show Us Your Woodworking

Yes she does now, I had managed to construct the last 2 things successfully including a very complicated bed. However this time not being able to read Chinese has brought me undone.

That and a couple of beers.

4 Likes

Mine is a Shearwater 16 hybrid (ply hull, strip deck). I have also used it plenty, although we have other boats too. I loved building it, never done anything like it before.

It might be coming to Mull next month weather dependent. I do find the lack of skeg/rudder an issue if it is a ‘lively’ day.

Bruce

1 Like

When I eventually get round to tidying up the kayak I plan on installing a small skeg. If I’m not carrying much in the kayak it sits quite high on the water so the fine ends aren’t really helping to track it.

I had the same experience building it. Easier than building things like a boat etc, a quite forgiving process because there is less reliance on shaping a piece exactly correctly, if you get a bit wrong you can just use it elsewhere.

That is absolutely amazing work. The sliding front especially. Wow!

2 Likes

Thanks very much. Yours, as well! Beautiful!
I’m afraid I can’t take any more photos now that I’m back home, but I can tell you that I kind of dreaded rounding the corners to match the curve of the tambour. In the end, it was much ado about nothing. I copied the radius with compass/divider onto a piece of 6mm MDF, cut close on a bandsaw and sanded and spokeshaved it to fit. Then transferred that to the top and bottom pieces, bandsawed it close and used a router with a guide bushing with the template to smooth it. I’ve attached a detail photo.

8 Likes

Yeah a doddle then!

I really like the colours/wood choices, and the retro feel.

Bruce

A grade B in woodwork ‘o’ level hasn’t prepared me for this thread :joy: some impressive stuff. I would like to be able to do some good wood work but am a bit too clumsy. I will stick to the pizzas and coffee :yum:

2 Likes

Bruce, I’m happy to oblige, but not sure what your specific question about the corners is. Are you asking about how I did the curve on the top and bottom or the tambour wrapping around the curve?
Here’s a YT link to see the tambour action - Tambour cabinet for my daughter and son-in-law. Walnut, cherry with cork veneer. - YouTube

Too much mass in that cabinet to support a turntable … encourages
PXL_20220801_162059980
feedback. . Either get a light stiff frame or put a box on the cabinet filled with sand to prevent acoustic vibrations.

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. Understood. However, they had picture frames with photos in front of the speakers in their previous setup, so I doubt they’re concerned with feedback. They just enjoy their music.

Thx. I just want to enjoy my music more. LOL.

Wow. That is a work of art. And practical.
There is something special about combining timber and HiFi.
I made these speaker stands from some left over solid redgum floorboards.

They have been superseded by floorstanders and now serve as pot plant stands.

5 Likes

get the LP12 a Mana Acoustics stand

Diy rack and shelves not a great picture!

1 Like

Sorry but it does my head in, especially first thing in the morning

3 Likes

My attempt at a modular HiFi rack; made from American Black Walnut (Whole Stave).

8 Likes

Today i moved an old Post Office sorting frame from the garden shed, it has been there for past 20 years but to my disappointment has rotted out the lower sections.

Also signs of woodworm, which could be ongoing active going by the fine dust coming out the holes during the vibrating effects of the jigsaw - i removed the rotten lower section completely which has most of the holes in.

The objective is to reuse this sorting frame in the new shed, most of it is solid enough and serviceable but i’m unsure about the woodworm. It would be easy to plank it off to the tip but thinking giving the outer parts a belt sanding, and soaking the whole thing a with liquid woodworm treatment and seeing how it goes over time…

Anyone like to shave some advice?

1 Like

Certainly worth a try with treatment, the price of wood these days would make it difficult to justify building from new.

1 Like

I had a woodworm.issue in my garage roof! Several liberal applications of woodworm treatment seems to have fixed it.

Second time around i put it in one of those pump up sprayers rather than brushing it on. Much better as it didnt run down my arm!

3 Likes

Yes it’s probably not a nice liquid to get on your skin.
Various makes of woodworm treatment is available in a small 500ml spray bottle. This wouldn’t be enough for doing roof timbers, but may suit me fine with my vintage sorting frame.
All the woodworm holes seem to be in the rear panel which is ply, and fixed on the back with over 60 very rusty slot screws, could spend hours changing the rear panel for new ply, but i think the whole thing may fall to bits if removed.

Easier to nuke the little munchers :smiling_imp:

4 Likes