New Speakers: Proac DB3 or DB1

Why not contact the Canadian or even US distributor. Tell them your dilemma and see if they will courier the speakers to you and let you try them for a week. You’ll never know unless you ask.

How big is your room? Mine is 18m2 and the 10s are fine. But in a bigger room you’d likely want something larger.

My room is 9’ x 19’ with a large opening on one side. Listening area is confined to one end firing across (not down the length) the room.
I don’t listen very loud except when I’m in the adjacent kitchen area. I’d like to have good low volume dynamics. So I need a speaker/amp combination that delivers at low volume without being boomy.

My room is 12’ wide and 15’ long, plus bay. The speakers fire across. A good thing about the Tabs is that they are sealed. They are only 10cm from the wall, and the speakers themselves only 16cm deep. Driven by the SN3 the bass and scale are most surprising. In your narrow space they might be just right. Some of the bigger ones need space behind and if you are not careful you’ll find them in the middle of the room.

1 Like

That’s exactly one of the compromises I have to deal with. Due to the narrow depth of my listening area I need speakers that can play well relatively close to front wall. So far the Totem Sky and some Proacs have been the two best choices for that. Others have sounded thick/muddy/boomy etc or were just too small to fill the space (Dali Menuet comes to mind)
I’m running an XS 2 (70w) so I don’t have the same grunt as your SN3. Speakers need to be responsive enough.

I did contact the distributor a while back but he was in the process of establishing a relationship with a local (not so local) dealer and didn’t want to do anything that might jeopardize the affair.
I’ll need to get off my butt and drive a few hours to see what can be auditioned.
A few years ago I had a Proac dealer within walking distance from where I live and another 15 minutes away by car. They both dropped the brand after enduring too many poor North American distributorship frustrations.

why not the SM100?

regards,
David

I pulled the trigger, a pair of D2D are now on order. I’m anxiously awaiting delivery, but they may be a couple of months coming, ah well…

4 Likes

Congratulations! Post a photo and comment on your thoughts once they arrive. Look forward to hearing your thoughts once you had a chance to give them a listen.

They are worth the wait! Congratulations.

Thanks. I’m hopeful these will be an end game for me in the speaker department. I’m currently making a pair of stands for them, steel square tubing and rock maple plates. The stands are 22" in height, which will bring the tweeter to ear level when seated. I should be able to get them up over 60lbs when filled, hopefully this will be enough mass for the D2s? I’ll post a photo when the Proacs arrive!

2 Likes

Have your speakers arrived? I’m curious as to how long the backorder is nowadays with Covid.

Fwiw I’ve been a ProAc user for 20+ years and even a dealer at one point. I’ve owned both the Dome and Ribbon. I’ve owned Response 2 , 2S, 3, 3.5, D25, D30R and currently D20R the Ribbon is substantially better then the Dome. There’s a reason that all the K series, the older Carbon series are only offered with the Ribbon. I will say that if the ProAc dome was say a Dynaudio Esotar, a ScanSpeak Revelator that would be another story. the ProAc dome is ok but the Ribbon is much better. And all this about “dispersion” is BS. I frequently have music playing while I’m cooking in the kitchen, it sounds great.

3 Likes

@Scotty2 If you can change to D2R you’ll be very glad you did. JM not so Humble opinion

I’ve never had any issues with dispersion, either ones I could live with as I do have a soft spot for the Tablets10 and they are domed… The Ribbons do take their own sweet time “breaking” in however. I’m 8 months in and last week they opened up even more. I thought there was something wrong for a minute or two.

Still awaiting arrival of the speakers, may be another couple of months. I don’t think I can change to the ribbon version as my local audio dealer has ordered these specifically for me (his first foray into Proac). It’s too bad I can’t demo to compare the two tweeters. I’ve gone back and forth a thousand times and concluded the dome tweeter was the safer option as I have read about dispersion issues with the ribbon vs dome. Once again “tough buying speakers based on reviews and comments”, at home demo is the best approach, just not possible in this case.

1 Like

No worries. I’m sure you’ll be very happy once you have them.

Actually if it’s a couple more months I’m sure the dealer could change it. To be honest the reason it’s going to take so long is almost no one is buying the dome version and the cabinet is a bit different. I’ll bet if you switched to Ribbons you’d have them in a couple weeks not months. But I could be wrong… not🙃 and one last thing, this from an old timer. If for some unforeseen reason you have to sell the D2 Dome, you will get hammered on resale, and it’ll be way harder to sell. Just my opinion based on 45 years in the Audio Biz. Btw I had a beautiful pair of D2 in special Birds Eye Maple driven by Ayon Spirit class A KT88’s. Replaced by D30R, ribbons won by at least a furlough!

2 Likes

I recently switched from Blu-tak to ‘Blak-tak’ under my DB3s. Blu-tak tends to go a bit squidgy here in the tropics. The black version is a firmer compound, comes in pre-cut squares and better retains its shape under load.

At the risk of coming over slightly OCD (I believe I’m among friends here), I think the black version sounds a tad better :grimacing:

And after discovering this thread, I’m also thinking those D2Rs look awfully nice. Surely wouldn’t do any harm just to have a quick demo…

2 Likes

For what it’s worth I use the patafix that came with my Solid Steel stands under my D2Rs. I also use a much smaller blob than you might think. Three blobs per stand and about the size of a petit pois pea and the speakers are firmly attached.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.