New System built around a Naim Atom, Need Guidance!

I think I’m going to have to find a way to go check some of these options out. Most hifi shops are doing appointment only, maybe I can call ahead, tell them my situation and get in and out. Thanks to all.

Given your restraints on budget I would also look at Amphion and Dynaudio

They both have a professional audio side , where the emphasis is on hearing what the artist recorded .

Dynaudio are much liked on this forum, Amphion don’t feature as reguarly

Please keep us updated

Demoed the Evoke as well which I really enjoyed.

1 Like

I questioned people about the evoke when they first came out- got few responses, but the general consensus was “nice” but not as engaging (prat) as hoped for. I was only asking from curiosity as no plans to change my harbeths. I would also suggest looking at totem - haven’t listened in awhile but was impressed in the past and also thought they offered good value - they also have a large selection of models. Also around long enough that buying used might be possible

Okay, I went and listened to speakers, and I ordered some Dynaudio Special 40s! And I’m glad I went, the shop was really cool about keeping the place cleared out. I listened to some B&Ws, Dynaudios, and a couple of others, but the Specials really stole the show.

So, now I’m looking for some suggestions for speaker stands, an RCA cable to run from the phono preamp to the Atom, and a power conditioner. Oh, and I’ll be building my speaker cables, so I need some ideas on spools of cable and good banana plugs that aren’t too wide and/or bulky.

Thanks everybody!

4 Likes

If I may ask, which phono preamp did you go for?

1 Like

I’m bummed I didn’t get in here before you bought, but oh well. A store that features the Atom had it paired with the Special 40s for a long time, and that was really a good combination. I know you will like it.

I’ve used my Atom with three different speakers in my house–the KEF LS50, the Neat Motive SX2 and the Klipsch Forte IIIs. It’s good with all of them, and although it’s really a perfect fit with the Neats (which rumor has it are voiced using Naim amps), the one it’s best with for me are the Klipsch. They are uber efficient which means the Atom will drive them (if desired) to a concert level, even in a very big space (which I have them in), but they also play really well at lower volumes without losing much like many speakers do when you turn the volume down. It’s a really dynamic combo that doesn’t leave much on the table. My suggestion was going to either bumping up to the Neat Motive SX1 or the Klipsch Forte IIIs (which are pretty easy to find on the used market for around $2,500).

Enjoy the Special 40s (I came really close to pulling the trigger on pair of Special 25s a long time ago), and of course best wishes on your health battle. Hope music helps the recovery!

2 Likes

I went with the Clearaudio Nano v2.

1 Like

Congrats on your new system. I picked up an Atom recently for my office and have been looking hard at the Special 40’s as a potential pairing. I’ll be auditioning a pair this weekend.

I’ve found a handful of discussions/reviews where folks have floated opinions for and against, but none of them seemed to have actually heard this setup. The ‘against’ folks usually cite the 40wpc output of the Atom as too weak, while others insist it will power the S40s just fine (or at least say that low wattage amps seem to do well with them).

For background, my office is quite small (11’x11’) and my listening habits are not dissimilar to yours. Wide range of music, moderate to low, family-friendly volumes.

So to get to my point - I’m really keen to hear more about your first-hand impressions if you have some to share. Of course, other opinions on this setup would also be very welcome. Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Here’s the short version:

The Atom and the Specials are a perfect pairing. The speakers sound amazing in my large space, and the Atom has no issue powering them. The Clearaudio Concept also sounds amazing with this system. Overall, I am very happy with the choices I made.

5 Likes

I was expecting to use my Atom as a pre-amp to my Primare A30.1, which is rated at 120w into 8 ohms or 200w in 4 ohm speakers which is what I have.

To my astonishment, such a set-up rendered my Primare a waste of time, space and remotes. Seriously. I couldn’t tell the difference.

The Primare is now snugly stored in the media centre awaiting a suitable installation.

Any demonstration given.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.