New System Ideas

P8 and pre owned sn3 takes you to 6k spent or thereabouts. Add in 500 pounds for a Bluesound node and you have very good sources and amp. That leaves a little more for speakers. Given your room size and description you will need to speak to a dealer for demo and matching the speakers to both your room and the amps capabilities. I have a preference for Spendor so would always start there, but pmc seem to be a good match with Naim as a comparison. If the sn3 works well and you have any funds left ( around 1k) then a better dac to add to the Node will be worth spending on. Obviously this depends on you making the commitment to either rip your cds on the computer, or sign up to a high quality streaming service.

It is a contentious view on here particularly, but I think heavily investing in a system to support old technology is a mistake. Yes, make use of what you have, but think forward to high resolution streaming. It is the future.

2 Likes

One of the downsides of asking on a forum is that you get so many suggestions that you can become like a rabbit in the headlights. A long thin room isn’t ideal but you can still get 150cm between the speakers and 30cm each side. Whatever you do, try them at home first.

For what it’s worth, I bought a whole new system recently. It’s a Nova with PMC twenty5.21i speakers on PMC stands. Retail price is £7,600. If you want vinyl in that room, either use your existing TT or get a Rega 8. If you want to rip the CDs you don’t need a Core, just rip them on your computer to a NAS. It’s easy to do and once you retire you’ll have plenty of time. Or just plug in your existing CDP.

I really wouldn’t get carried away with thoughts of a 282/250, which needs a very good source to sound at its best. You’d be doubling your budget.

If I keep my CD player would it match up with say a sn3 I’m not too bothered about ripping my cds if I don’t need to

Hello, this is my TV and blu-ray player. I feed them into a Naim streamer which means that I take to digital signal to a dedicated audio component and I don’t rely on the on-board audio from my blu-ray or tv, I use the steamer as a DAC
The signal is then fed into my audio system , which is on the other side of the room .

I should say there are some good comments on the thread , all of which would lead you to happier listening, I am trying to suggest ways to have better listening when you are viewing

Hope all goes well,

Ian

Based on comments so far I’m thinking that sn3 based system might be the way forward. So many of you think it man enough to do good sources justice. I really do fancy maximising my record collection so will demo RP8 maybe with stage line that will take me to around£7k approx. Leaving &3k for speakers and possibly a streamer. As HH said I am starting to feel like a rabbit in the headlights. Problems are there to solved though it’s a marathon not a sprint

3 Likes

I think my system is more or less at your budget point.

Technics 1200G - 3.5
DV 10x5 - 0.5
Graham Slee Accession - 1.0
Hugo mk1 - 0.5
Primare NP5 - 0.5
Naim XS3 - 2.5
Neat SX3 - 1.5
Naim CD5 - 0.5

Approximate prices, I acquired a few items for less. I think you could think about going “up” on the TT from a P8 to P10 and “down” on the amp from a SN, if you want to optimise around vinyl.

Are stands and cables in the budget?

Might also be worth fixing the speakers first, given the room dimensions, these small but beautifully made Sonus Fabers look incredible for example

I hadn’t really factored in cost of cables what would be a sensible spend based on my budget. Do dealers tend to give you discount on cables etc based on your spend? I know when I bought my MF Spendor system years ago Lintone audio gave me 10% of my spend back to purchase these!

Yes I’m sure it will be fine, but ——

I’m not familiar with the amp and cd you have so looked them up. I think the sn3 will be a downgrade from everything I read about the A5 kit?
Have you listened and compared?
I’d be tempted to keep the A5 as the main system and upgrade the tt source and speakers if you are unhappy with what you have.

If you want a system for the bedroom then look at sn2 rather than 3.

If you want to replace the main system with Naim then I think you will need to look at a hicap/nac82/nap 250 level to match the A5.

I’d hope if you went to a dealer with 10k that they’d find it in their hearts to help with cables :slight_smile:

Good points raised by Bruss though, I hadn’t looked into the quality of the gear you’re replacing.

Very surprised you think sn3 would be a downgrade when you compare the cost. The A5 amp was £1500 back in 2005 even with inflation the sn3 is considerably more expensive.

I must say the amp has served me very well but I’m striving for something better in the log run. What I notice is that when there is a lot going on in a certain track it starts to unravel and sounds a tad harsh.

Having said all of that I haven’t heard the sn3 just assuming it would be quite a bit better?

Fair enough. Naim kit never sounds harsh to my ears but speakers are often where the harshness comes from. I guess it is also possible that the A5 electronics have diminished over the years as does Naim electronics, hence Naim continues to service older kit. Don’t misunderstand me. The sn3 is a very good piece of kit but the separates from the 82 and up level will outshine it. Also if you go for the P8 would you not want a mc cartridge? If so the sn3 will need a phono stage. Again it may be better to go for a serviced sn2 plus a good phono stage. So many variations but you have a good set up to compare against.

Rega P8 bare 1,870 1,870
Gold Note ph5 949 949
Hana SL 639 639
Hicap DR 1000 800
NAC 282 2800 1100
NAP 250DR 2500 1500
Speakers ?
Proac response dt8 2800 2800
Spendor A4
12558 9658

All spent for you
(Alternatives are 82 and non dr 250 and hicap)

:smile:

1 Like

Naim Supernait 2 : 1,5 k
Naim Ndx2 : 3k
Naim Xpsdr : 2k
Rega Aria phono: 500 GBP
Rega Rp8 / Apheta 2: 2k
Proac Tablette signature : 1k
Total second hand : 10k.

3 Likes

Hard to argue against that list 8)

Nice list, but good luck trying to find a secondhand NDX2 for 3K in the UK, unless its been dropped and kicked around a bit!

1 Like

OK, I’m a new guy here, and new to Naim with a SN3, but I’ve never seen such brand loyalty. Good thing Naim doesn’t make a Turntable or there would be no discussion of the Rega 'table.

You guys do realize there are plenty of really good phonostages, network streamers, etc that don’t have the Naim logo on them… right?

I have looked through the system pictures here and it does seem many of you are totally dedicated to Naim products. I’ve never seen anything like this in my 60+ years of HiFi audio system buying.

I bought a used Sn2, Dac-V1, stageline and a pair of used Dynaudio Special40’s with stands(€2000 + €2000). Together with my Thorens, Node and cd player it does the trick very well.

There is/was a Naim turntable and it is/was a cracker.

I’ve been a Naim customer for 30 plus years. I have product in my rack that goes back to the last century

My CD player was bought in 2002, I had it serviced last year and it sings like new

1 Like

Fancy that, on a Naim forum. Who’d ‘ve thunk it.

3 Likes

Go hang out in a NAIM dealers demo room and give a listen to their complete product line. The loyalty part fell into place for me because of great service, price, ability to home demo products prior to purchase, warranty, and resale /trade in value of products. …and it all sounds mighty sweet.

2 Likes