New System Ideas

This is my humble TV set up, it’s served me well for many years and sounds good to my ears.

I intend to leave the amp and speakers as they are and move the turntable and CD player into the other room that I am preparing for the new equipment.

Can’t wait to listen to some of the recommendations you’ve given me. I tend to be quite impulsive usually so don’t think I’ll wait too long before making my mind up, I’ll know it when I hear it!!

2 Likes

Looking forward to hearing how the audition works out. If you demo streamers you may want to hear both the ND5 XS2 and the NDX 2 on the front end of both systems since you are going to be at the dealer location.

Good luck with your decision…

Is it necessary to connect either streamer via Ethernet or can wi fi work with regard to sound quality

I have always only connected my streamers, ND5 XS, NDX AND NDX 2, using ethernet. There are members who only use wi-fi and report completed satisfaction as well. I have never did a direct comparison.

I will admit that I am bias, possibly due to my age and work experience, and simply believe that a direct connection is the most stable.

Ask the dealer to demo both with wi-fi and ethernet cable while your in the demo room.

I use wifi for my Nova and it works fine .

Can I ask a question? I presume your blu-ray and TV are connected to the amplifier?

If so , do you have a Digital To Analogue input on either the CD player or amplifier ?

If not , I would suggest a Star , that would offer you , amplification and be able to offer you an upgrade on the sound being produced by your blu-ray and TV?

best wishes

You have 2,500 records that you will gain so much pleasure from if you buy a really good record player. You will hear things you’ve never heard compared with the last record player you used.

As a fan of records, I’d go for a top class record player and plan to keep it for a long time. Speakers lose a lot of value when bought new, so I’d look to get a pair of speakers you can keep a long time too.

I reckon:

• buy record player new
  • buy speakers new

Both of these deserve listening tests and you can only get that from a dealer.

• second hand Supernait 2 + Stageline

Supernait is a great amplifier. Try to buy one less than 5 years old or, if an older one, a unit that’s been serviced within the last few years.

I wouldn’t get a brand new Supernait unless it’s on a very good deal, I’d be reluctant to buy anything in the current ‘classic’ range with as yet unknown new kit due to arrive later in the year. But a used Supernait with a used Stageline would be a great amplifier and phono stage, and easy to upgrade in future if you so desire (and easier to sell and don’t lose value as much as speakers).

Regards, Ian

1 Like

Yes my tv and blu ray are connected to the amplifier, not sure about the dac. I stream via chrome cast and get decent sound with Spotify premium. I did sample tidal when I bought my muso on a 3 month free trial and found it to be excellent. I plan on keeping the TV set up as it is and plan on starting from scratch in another room to build a stereo only system. I presume that any streamer I eventually go for will be better with tidal or can you get decent sound via Spotify premium? Thanks

@vinylMessi

You could also consider Qobuz as the streaming service.

DG…

Can you clarify the room size

I presume it’s not 7’ wide!

@vinylMessi

Given the number of records that you own and the importance of vinyl, have a chat with Peter Swain at Cymbiosis in Leicester.

A number of forum members, including myself use them and he is a Guru for the Linn LP12.

People are upgrading their LP12s all the time and, he can put together a very good deck for a good price using pre-owned / ex-demo / new components.

Well worth a chat.

DG…

3 Likes

Yes the roo size is 15 ft x 7ft 6 inches quite long and narrow, will this be a big problem?

Mmm

Just a thought… What about a really good headphone amplifier and headphones?

I am fortunate to have a big open room space. I can’t speak therefore from experience but I’d imagine managing the room would be a challenge at that size. Lots of opportunity for echo and stuff that others control using room treatment which is a whole other rabbit warren to negotiate

I’m starting to think this is going to be a lot more tricky than first expected with so many options and different paths to go down. The room size might ultimately play a big part in what I hope to achieve. Does anyone have similar room sizes to this and if so any ideas?

1 Like

P8 and pre owned sn3 takes you to 6k spent or thereabouts. Add in 500 pounds for a Bluesound node and you have very good sources and amp. That leaves a little more for speakers. Given your room size and description you will need to speak to a dealer for demo and matching the speakers to both your room and the amps capabilities. I have a preference for Spendor so would always start there, but pmc seem to be a good match with Naim as a comparison. If the sn3 works well and you have any funds left ( around 1k) then a better dac to add to the Node will be worth spending on. Obviously this depends on you making the commitment to either rip your cds on the computer, or sign up to a high quality streaming service.

It is a contentious view on here particularly, but I think heavily investing in a system to support old technology is a mistake. Yes, make use of what you have, but think forward to high resolution streaming. It is the future.

2 Likes

One of the downsides of asking on a forum is that you get so many suggestions that you can become like a rabbit in the headlights. A long thin room isn’t ideal but you can still get 150cm between the speakers and 30cm each side. Whatever you do, try them at home first.

For what it’s worth, I bought a whole new system recently. It’s a Nova with PMC twenty5.21i speakers on PMC stands. Retail price is £7,600. If you want vinyl in that room, either use your existing TT or get a Rega 8. If you want to rip the CDs you don’t need a Core, just rip them on your computer to a NAS. It’s easy to do and once you retire you’ll have plenty of time. Or just plug in your existing CDP.

I really wouldn’t get carried away with thoughts of a 282/250, which needs a very good source to sound at its best. You’d be doubling your budget.

If I keep my CD player would it match up with say a sn3 I’m not too bothered about ripping my cds if I don’t need to

Hello, this is my TV and blu-ray player. I feed them into a Naim streamer which means that I take to digital signal to a dedicated audio component and I don’t rely on the on-board audio from my blu-ray or tv, I use the steamer as a DAC
The signal is then fed into my audio system , which is on the other side of the room .

I should say there are some good comments on the thread , all of which would lead you to happier listening, I am trying to suggest ways to have better listening when you are viewing

Hope all goes well,

Ian

Based on comments so far I’m thinking that sn3 based system might be the way forward. So many of you think it man enough to do good sources justice. I really do fancy maximising my record collection so will demo RP8 maybe with stage line that will take me to around£7k approx. Leaving &3k for speakers and possibly a streamer. As HH said I am starting to feel like a rabbit in the headlights. Problems are there to solved though it’s a marathon not a sprint

3 Likes

I think my system is more or less at your budget point.

Technics 1200G - 3.5
DV 10x5 - 0.5
Graham Slee Accession - 1.0
Hugo mk1 - 0.5
Primare NP5 - 0.5
Naim XS3 - 2.5
Neat SX3 - 1.5
Naim CD5 - 0.5

Approximate prices, I acquired a few items for less. I think you could think about going “up” on the TT from a P8 to P10 and “down” on the amp from a SN, if you want to optimise around vinyl.

Are stands and cables in the budget?

Might also be worth fixing the speakers first, given the room dimensions, these small but beautifully made Sonus Fabers look incredible for example

I hadn’t really factored in cost of cables what would be a sensible spend based on my budget. Do dealers tend to give you discount on cables etc based on your spend? I know when I bought my MF Spendor system years ago Lintone audio gave me 10% of my spend back to purchase these!