New to 72/140-What do I need to know?

So, adding a hicap to a 72/140, what does it do?
Does it power the 72, the 140 or both?
Does it brings significant change or is it just taking a bit if load off the power supply in the 140?

1 Like

The Hicap powers the 72 with two regulated 24V supplies. It’s a significant performance increase.

4 Likes

The addition of hicap will open up more depth and realism of sonic quality, a bit like the difference between 2D and 3D.

4 Likes

Welcome to the world of naim power supplies :joy::joy:
I think most of us that came on the forum after buy naim amps started looking at power supplies even before listening to what they can do without them.

1 Like

Agreed - Normal, this is… :thinking:

So, not that I am going to, but I take it then a HCDR should sound better than an olive HC? But would just look silly and cost more.
Or, due to the age/design of the 72 would it make little difference?

That’s unfortunate and not great for near field. Wonder why the Nait 1 doesn’t have this prob. I otherwise am loving the 72/140 when it’s playing at good listening levels.

That makes quite a difference in hifi terms, however for musical enjoyment there is no difference for me.

1 Like

Try getting them serviced… :thinking:

Yeah… not super-excited to start shipping them around again so soon after receipt but I have a feeling that’s where we’ll end up anyway so may as well get it done. Will have to see how deep the queue is at Class A.

1 Like

I can tell you that a NAP140 can be done by Class A, on a while-you-wait basis, by prior arrangement - albeit you currently cannot wait on the premises. Not sure about a 72 - ask, you may be surprised… :astonished:

1 Like

That’s encouraging!

1 Like

The tape inputs. Can I use either of these as a regular input? Or, is there something special about the cards that sit behind them?

1 Like

No, they are inputs. They just happen to have outputs on other pins of the 5pin 180 degree DIN.

1 Like

Thanks. What I was hoping for.
But, if I wanted to drive a headphone amp I’d use one of these?

1 Like

Yes you would - I can do that. But - you need the appropriate lead to do so - one that connects to the output pins. Most don’t… :expressionless:

1 Like

Got it, thanks.

1 Like

Thanks. Already got my local dealer on this. 5M of NACA5 being preped.
What started out as a basic, simple second system is turning into an epic!

2 Likes

Wait until you hear what it sounds like :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Yep. Got to keep it simple. Thats what I wanted. If I don’t watch out I’ll accessorise it to death.
A service is on the cards. Being 22 years old no history of a visit to Salisbury of Sheffield its the obvious thing to do. And I go to Sheffield regularly, so they will most likely be heading north in Jan.