New to Forum, want to improve Sound Quality

Welcome to the forum.

You already have a system that’s probably in the top 0.5% of music systems in homes and unless you have unlimited cash you have to stop somewhere and just listen to the music.

Each upgrade also costs a lot more money for small improvements in SQ and this could be why you were disappointed in the 282/250 demo.

But hi-fi is as much of a hobby as listening to music, the P10 is a good suggestion and I would also suggest listening to the entry level LP12 as you might prefer Linn’s signature sound. The Linn also gives you the option of spending as much as you like on upgrades in the future.

2 Likes

Good to hear the dealer is being helpful - I think that’s your best option for now although you won’t be able to assess the room/speaker interaction at home. Good luck!

If to stay with 202/200, Hicap and NAPSC is a must.

1 Like

Thanks for all your help and comments guys, this looks to be a great forum.
I have moved furniture and speaker placement around in my living room to see if I can improve listening, reading the comment on the stability of the turntable I think I can do more here as it’s on top of a 4 tier quadrasphere ( not naim frame) so I am looking at a wall mounted option. I have also contacted a dealer to allow me to listen to the RP10.

Perhaps fortunately for you, Rega make a wall bracket that is absolutely perfect for their turntables. Note that the new Planar 8 and 10 need a special smaller shelf, different to that which fits your RP8. Note that it’s the P10 you should try, not the RP10.

1 Like

Thanks HH

Can you elaborate on the sound quality you are missing?
Are you lacking punch?
Lacking detail?
Does you system not sound full?
How is imaging, and soundstage?

If the 282 /250 wasn’t impressive or better, you may have a phono stage, cartridge, cable or some other issue at source?

Scott

2 Likes

There are several possibilities why the move from 202/HCDR/200 to 282/HCDR/250DR gives you a small or negligible difference in sound quality.

1. Setup issues which dampen the full capabilities of the components ie. room, placement of speakers, rack etc.
  2. Management of expectations as improvement in sound quality may appear to be minute to some people although it is regarded as significant to most people

Personally I would stick with the 202/200 if I didn’t hear a substantial sound improvement with the 282/250DR. I note that you have started to move the furniture and speakers around which is a good thing. Suboptimal placement of furniture and speakers can sometimes restrict or dampen the full performance of the system, resulting in minimal difference or improvement with equipment swaps.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome.

I think the Rega wall shelf for the RP8 is a good idea.

Is you Apheta worn out? If so, replace with a current Rega MC. I would also have a look at the Aura phonostage.

Lastly, I would find some speakers that match you 6 x 5m room.

Please let us know how it goes.

Regards,
C.

1 Like

This is where i struggle, I know I could be setting myself up to get some criticism but I struggle with the language to describe what I feel my problems are. I am an amateur brass player since I was 11 so over 4 decades, when playing in a group I can hear if someone is out of tune, or not playing together, but this is different.
The system as is with decent clean vinyl sounds ok but after playing so much vinyl during last year I wanted to see if I could make it even better. I understand better now that you have to spend a great deal of money to get a small Improvement so the best way I can answer your question is I wanted more detail, the 250DR did have a little more punch but my expectation was higher, I thought it was going to be a massive uplift with the 282, it was a small uplift so I am going back to basics looking at speaker placement, buying a rack to make sure my Turntable is solid and go from there, I am also going to test a more expensive TT and phonostage.

Chris M - yes I will add wall shelf for the turntable, I am going to test out the P10 and Aura, I also with your comment on my speakers,

1 Like

Ryder - I do think after reading all the comments on this group I have some setup issues, so checking everything out.

If the 200 is powering your current speakers well you probably aren’t going to notice a significant uplift with the 250. However the change from 202 to 282 is where the difference should have been more obvious. Did you try the 282 in to the 200 first? I still suspect the mismatch is some where between cartridge, speakers and speaker positioning. If the increase in listening volume gives you a screechy sort of induced fatigue after a while I’d be looking at the speakers more than the cart. If you think you are lacking in detail and clarity lean more towards the cart.

No criticism here, as you came for help from forum members and it looks as if you have some options and good feedback. I would agree with your last comment on set up, and stability of racking/system and turntable isolation. Also, how old is your cartridge? After these pandemic sheltering months, maybe it’s time to change? Losing some of its luster maybe? My brother is a high school band director, orchestra, jazz, and marching, he has a masters in music, 2nd largest high school band in the state he lives in. I get it, he can pick out a bad note in an orchestra in a heart beat. Good luck, keep us posted.

Scott

I wouldn’t agree with that. Sure, a 200 is well up to the job of driving a pair of X2s. They are not very demanding. Still, a 250 has a different character with more power and more low end clout. Try a 300 and that too will show a dramatic difference in its ability to grip and control the little X2s.
However, I’m sticking with the view I posted earlier that upgrading the speakers and finding a pair that work well in your room is where real gains can be made, and potentially far more cost effectively that these expensive amp upgrades.

Thanks for comments Gents.
I have decided to trade in the RP8 for a P10 atheta3, also traded the aria for the aura phonostage. Once it has settled in on its wall stand I will decide what to do next, I will let everyone know how I am getting on.

4 Likes

That’s a very good decision. With that wonderful TT combination in place you’ll be in a great position to decide whether you want to make further changes. Hopefully you won’t feel the need. Do report back on how you get on and do give it a few months to get used to the improved quality before making any further decisions.

I thought I would add an update.
New Turntable delivered today, very pleased. Much more detail than before, I have also noticed the pops and clicks seem really quiet? I am not sure if I am imagining this yet?
I am playing a 1964 Shirley Bassey album I bought from a charity shop for £1.99 to try out the mono button on the phonostage, very pleased

3 Likes

There’s a thread where you can “Show us your turntable” I don’t think anyone on this forum doesn’t like looking at photos of turntables :slight_smile:

1 Like

Upgrading the TT was a smart move but I think there’s a good reason why you didn’t really get to appreciate the improvement that the 282/250 was providing and that simply was that the X2s as good as they are were stifling it. When you get the opportunity try the S20s and you’ll be surprised at how good the 202/200 pairing is.

Enjoy your music.