New to the Forum naim preamp question

Not sure anyone noticed, but Uniti is based on Nait 5i, which basically is a poweramp with volume control, ie no preamp…

With your existing LP12 that has Radikal and Urika, the sensible option would be a good second hand Klimax DSM. This has XLR out for the ATC speakers and will allow future paths for Urika 2 if you should wish.
I demo’d Linn Akurate DSM with active ATCs and it was really good. The Klimax is in another level and would be a superb 1 box solution.
Sadly I feel a Naim solution is not really a sensible option with the 272 being non current with the old streaming platform, also the temptation to add a £4k or £7k power supply will always be there. Any other Naim route is going to be multiple boxes and not what you expressed to wanting in your post.
As with anything though, you will only discover what suits you by auditioning. Good luck with your search and keep us updated on how the auditions go and what you choose.

1 Like

In the context of what your thinking I’d be looking at either a used klimax DSM but at least an akurat DSM. I’m not a massive Linn fan but there latest/last gen stuff is killer if box count matters. if I was starting from scratch and spending decent money then the klimax dsm and some actives would be absolutely on my radar…

Oh and welcome to the forum…

2 Likes

Surely the Atom HE must be worth a demo, acting as a pre-amp to the ATCs and adding the necessary iRadio, with the options of other streaming services.
It might not quite be to the standard of a separate pre + streamer (I have no idea), but it does seem to meet the OP’s requirements.
I’d suggest going to give it a listen!

2 Likes

OP has Naim Uniti 2 which has digital volume control like the other previous generation of Uniti’s and not a potentiometer like the 5i

Thanks for the welcomes and further replies from listening to your advice, well reading it anyway, my thoughts are initially distilling as follows

1. ATC CA2 into ACT 40a’s keeping LP12 and Uniti2 (radio) as sources
  2. Linn DSM either Akurate or Klimax into 40a’s keeping LP12
  3. Naim Atom HE into 40a’s keeping LP12
    4.A another Streamer ino 40a’s keeping LP12
    I will update when shop demo is done with my findings.
1 Like

Morning @MattF and @seakayaker. I’m saving up for the ATC active 40’s so yes, do please report back when your games begin :smile:. It’d Be good to know your thoughts…

Morning PEFGis
Oh dear I joined this forum for advice not to be asked to give it :scream: now the pressure is on!

1 Like

Can ask anyone currently using ACT 40a’s for a big favour. Would they be able to measure the width of the actual cabinet at its widest point and also the bases at their widest point.

The ACT website quotes 370mm ish for the width but I read somewhere an owner saying they were 270mm ish. 100mm is a big discrepancy and will make a difference in room placement which I would like to think about now rather than later. I am wondering if the base size accounts for the difference.
Many thanks, MattF
Any help much appreciated.

Hi Matt. The actual cabinet is just under 270mm at its widest. But the speakers sit on a metal frame which has outrider feet and they are about 370mm at the widest.

Roger

1 Like

PeakMan
Many thanks for the clarification, from the photos that was my thoughts and you confirming them means room reorganisation is not required. Happy wife = happy hifi upgrade.
Blimey I used to plan days long operations involving 100 + men that were less complex than this attempted upgrade!

I’d go Linn DSM, Akurate or if funds allow a Klimax/Organik. This + ATC active speakers is my considered path in an effort to simplify setup as far as possible whilst ensuring a meaningful and capable performance level.
Most of the available Akurate DSM’s can be upgraded from a Katalyst DAC to Organik as well.
Whilst the Atom HE is a great solution, it’s primarily focused on Headphone use cases and for the money, and given the importance of the preamp, you can get better.
I’d avoid “waiting” for what replaces the NAC 272, there’s folks on here that are years in to that and may have some more years ahead of them still, even then it may not be all you’re looking for, namely, it’ll only be “really good” once you’ve added another £5k PSU to it.
There’s plenty of folks on here with DSM’s (I’ve got a Selekt DSM even) that can advise on suitability, certainly what I’ve heard of a DSM digital source / preamp + active ATC’s is very good and worth a listen to see how it meets your needs.

2 Likes

That is not correct. Only previous generation Klimax units can be upgraded to Organik. There has been now word from Linn if this will filter down to Akurate. The Katalyst DAC is still remarkably good though.

1 Like

Appreciate the correction!

2 Likes

True on the Katalyst spec, I’ve got that DAC in my Selekt and very happy with what it does.
You can also configure the Selekt with an XLR/RCA preamp output module as well, I thought about doing this to drive front channel active speakers and using amp modules for other surround channels.
I’m using it currently as a 2 channel amp with internal power amp module to passive PMC speakers in my office, amazing flexibility in setup for a one box solution. Mine is configured for 5.1 with internal power amp modules today, you can even mix and match module types and DAC’s. You can even configure it for bi/tri amp output to speakers and support Exakt to powered speakers or Urika II in an LP12. It even has a MM/MC input built in.
You can’t do that with a Nova.

3 Likes

In option 1, I’d swap out the Uniti for a decent streamer or you’d be hobbling it’s performance. A Naim ND5XS2 could do it and even with an NDX2 it would be cheaper than Option 2 with Akurate.

Roger

If you connect a Naim ND to a pair of active speakers how do you control the volume?

In option 1 you’d have the ATC preamp to do it.

Ahhh, well in that case. Anyone here using one?
They have a very “Flash Gordon” design.
Hadn’t even thought of that option.
I’m still keen on the DSM path personally.
The ATC CA2 preamp + ND does stack up favourably financially, would be interesting to hear/compare to a DSM equivalent.

…the cost of the active 40’s are beyond my reach and I have settled in with my ProAc D30RS speakers for the past few years and they most likely will last throughout my retirement years!