New to the NAIM brand - £4k budget

Update - 6-8 weeks turned out to be three weeks and It’s just arrived on my doorstep :clap:

Time to get unboxing.

3 Likes

Good choice. I personally find the qed anniversary cables to be a tad shrill so definitely change them when you get the opportunity.

1 Like

Am going to trial some WH Phantoms when it’s run in.

Had this playing most of the weekend and after years of interest in HiFi I can now honestly say I have a sound to be proud of.

Historically music (primarily Tidal) has sounded a bit flabby with not enough detail and clarity. The NEAT Iota Alphas and Qutest DAC have helped massively but this SN3 brings something else to the table.

Music is so much more engaging and ‘real’ sounding - even the other-half comments on how good it sounds.

I’m after a streamer next and whilst I know the ND5XS2 is the one to go for I keep seeing the original NDX for c.£1k which is tempting bearing in mind I only need it as a transport.

Thanks again to all who helped on this thread, the NAIM signature sound / style is definitely for me.

3 Likes

A cheap NDX might be a good option with low risk if you want to move it on afterwards. I had one with SN3 for a few months (p/x’d it to help fund big speaker upgrade and now have atomninstead) and have previously had NDS and ND5XS and it was plenty good enough for me in my second system.

1 Like

Just a consideration the CXN is a cracking streamer, and the V2 even better… so you might want to look at the v2 if you like current CXN… I am sure your new Naim amp would make most of it.

Possibly a used NDX, but certainly a NDX2 is more in keeping in with the features of the CXN … though of course if you want the full Naim ecosystem and integrated automation then a ND5XS2 is worth looking at, but obviously you will loose the display features of the CXN and USB DAC streaming.

1 Like

They (CXN) are great streamers for the money especially for the spec you get. Mines been flawless since I had it.

I’m going around in circles a bit re a streamer as I only really want to upgrade as I’m a bit OCD with what’s in my rack (my CXN is silver) so want a NAIM to keep the brand synergy.

The NDX sounds good on paper but I keep hearing stories about network issues and Tidal buffering. The lack of screen is not a major issue for me.

Ok if screen no issue, and a Tidal user and you want to scratch that Naim itch, then I certainly would try the ND5XS2

2 Likes

Seconding @Simon-in-Suffolk. My two years with a ND5 XS2 was wonderful.

1 Like

I have heard the same stories, too. However, my NDX works fine as a transport into an nDAC/555PS and I have never experienced any buffering issues with Tidal. In the past, I have had network problems with various devices. Those problems disappeared when I removed all powerline devices and installed a mesh wifi system.

My NDX has always been connected to my home network via ethernet and I am completely happy with it. I had an NDX2 on home demo and did not find that the sound quality improvement justified the price.

Take your time and shop carefully for a low-cost NDX. If you don’t like it, you can move it on with little or no loss.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback on the NDX. Wired works for me as its fairly near to my router.

There is one on the bay at the moment - a 2018 model with a fair chunk of the warranty remaining which I’ve got my eye on. Will keep my eye on what price it’s at toward the end of the action.

One Q please - Radio Paradise is AAC 320 on the NDX isn’t it? No way to get FLAC.

NDX is old platform and price should reflect that.

1 Like

There is no native support for FLAC iRadio on the 1st gen. streamers. There are various ways to do it though using Minimserver although to my ears that was only a marginal improvement on the 320 streams, whereas the native FLAC streams on the new platform sound very good. Other options are Roon (at a price) or an iOS device connected to the USB input.

1 Like

Just read this, I bought Supernait 3 since December last year, so after 3 months I feel it’s settled in, running a pair of Spendor SP2/3R(Audioquest rocket 33 Speaker cable). It’s my first naim so really impressed, Spendor are generally very laid back, now it’s become alive. I must say it makes Spotify sounds better for sure.
Prior to supernait 3, I owned Moon and Plinius, they are all good amps, but those brands are way too expensive when it comes to upgrade.
I’m still using my Esoteric SA50 SACD/CD player, most of the time using the DAC for streaming, on the paper the DAC chip is outdated but the analogue output is done very well, it still sounds very musical, but I am curious how it compares to the new DAC and streamer, what interconnect cable are you using?

I’m using QED Graphite RCA cables which sound perfectly fine. However, I may change them for some Mark Grants purely as they will match the Mark Grant BNC cables I own.

I’m perfectly happy with the setup but will add some Witch Hat Phantom cables over the next month now the Amp is a bit more run-in.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.