New to the Naim forum and in need of streamer advice!

Using USB storage attached directly to a Naim streamer is a great way to get up and running, but not so good with a large library. For that you really want network storage and a server (UPnP or Roon).

A Synology or QNAP NAS is the tried and tested network storage. You may be happy with a basic server that’s bundled with it, if not you can try Asset or Minimserver. The latter is particularly popular when it comes to managing classical music collections. Asset is probably more user friendly.

If you use Roon it’s fine to use your Roon Core device for storage (built in or USB) or you can point it at other stores on your network if you prefer, or a mixture of both. Roon generally recommend a network connection rather than direct USB connection between Core and DAC/HiFi system, and with a Naim streamer this would be the only option.

1 Like

But how will he back up his 2k ripped cds? If he uses only a pc.

You can store as much as you want, as many CDs as you want, I have a 3 TB ssd for my local music libray, and everything is backed up to my QNAP. So I have 2 libraries, one primary and one backup.

Note that any networked drive (including MS OneDrive) is fine with Roon, but local SSD drive is recommended by the Roon users.

Roon will manage your own library and it will integrate seamlessly with Qobuz or Tidal

1 Like

Just buy a good DAC. Chord Qutest. Not terribly expensive, way way way better sounding than the Node. Get a really good Coax Digital cable and dog ne. Use the Node as the streamer until you decide if you want to get a better one. Such as a Naim or Aurrender, Auralic, etc.

I did not know that @frenchrooster had a good, black sense of humor! Apparently, this appears to be exclusive to the British trait. :slight_smile:

1 Like

But you said « you don’t need a Nas at all…. », so the reason of my post.
Or you wanted to say that a Roon Rock running Roon will store the cd rips and the back up can be done on an ssd ?

A NAS is only optional, you can indeed backup your music library anywhere, on your PC hard drive, on an iCloud drive, or any networked drive that is accessible from your home network. I use a QNAP storage as a backup because it existed before I started subscribing to Roon.

One of the main reasons that I use Roon because of meta data management, it’s a pain in the neck if you have 10,000+ CDs, even Asset dBpoweramp does not help.

1 Like

You can backup it anywhere as well, but I think @anon23425299 meant that the actual music store can be on the same computer where you are running the Roon server, instead of on a separate NAS. This can be a Roon Nucleus or Rock with a second internal hard disk for the music store, it can be on a generic server that performs Roon duties additionally, but it can also be simply a disk in your regular PC/laptop (and in this case you can have the “remote” UI app on the same PC as well) - you don’t have to buy anything to try it.

For the music store it can but does not have to be an SSD. (It should ideally be an SSD for the disk where Roon is installed).

2 Likes

Ok guys, all is clear now. For myself, as I have not a big library, maybe 1k albums, I do the back up on usb sticks. All my music is on 2 usb sticks for now.

I have an old WD NAS, which came with Twonky (bought for file storage/sharing). It worked . . . sort of. It’s been a while, but as I recall it didn’t handle multiple disc albums properly. There were other issues too. As I recall I could not install Minim on it. Can’t recall about Asset. I am now relying on a low power laptop with a JRiver server.

My 2 cents, going Synology NAS (or any other brands) is a lot of fun, but if you are not IT tech savvy (like me), either make sure you have a IT guy who can help if needed, or stick to the minimum functionality for your local music setup.

It’s easy to get exited and get all your files being centralized for all your computers and devices in the house, data backed up, manage accesses to make sure your kids won’t delete or move your music or financial files by mistake, make everything available online from anywhere, etc.

But if you are not careful/knowledgeable, you can create serious major security breaches in your data system, or simply loose yourself your own access. LAN, WAN, IP, ports, protocols, etc, plenty of hoursssss of internet reading to understand the beast if you are not initiated like me.

I’m sure frenchrooster is saving a LOT of time with the USB stick. …music listening time maybe? :wink:

1 Like

I use a WD nas with my ND555 and it works great…I put a linear psu on to power the WD and that has really improved siynd quality…

I just hate using computers involved in my music listening. When I download an album, I just save it on an usb stick. It’s very quick. I have no Nas. My server is a Melco.
The other advantage is when going to hear some gear at dealers places. I bring my usb stick.

You must have a lot of USB sticks :thinking:

Only 3. One with my 400 cds rips. And two for the hires albums ( around 1000 ).

1 Like

I used Roon for a similar consolidation exercise of my CD ripped library, I also run an automated backup schedule directly within Roon to DropBox to ensure a mirror of the rips exists offsite.
I found it a good way to manage the metadata of my CD rips and of course as needs and interests dictate integrates directly with Qobuz and Tidal for further discovery and listening gains.
I run Roon on a repurposed old Mac Mini Server, getting a bit long in the tooth now but for a basic Roon setup works fine.
It also means your library is accessible from a wide range of devices, I stream to Sonos and even a Google Nest Hub in the kitchen.

2 Likes

Just checking this says what you mean - Roon only backs up the Roon database, not your music files, so it’s not going to copy your rips off-site.

1 Like

Roon Database backup, audio file backup done in parallel using Dropbox app.

1 Like

Cool. I’ve seen threads in the Roon community where people have dug themselves into big trouble by not understanding what Roon is actually backing up…

For anyone not familiar with Roon, it might be worth noting too that edits in Roon are maintained in the database, and are not written to the tags in your files.

When I started this I promised to update, so here goes.

NDX 2 purchased, set up with no obvious glitches. Trial and error got it linked back to my WD NAS and then TWONKY and it all works. So, thanks to those initial posters for their advice and reassurance!

Now to set sights on a UNITI Core with a big SSD to take the place of the WD, but it will probably be a while…

Thanks again for the encouragement that simplicity is the best starting point.

4 Likes