New tonearm

Looks like the Stanley ‘Cubix’ would do that for a very reasonable 50 quid or so.

Or just Christmas red led reflecting

I think its difficult to argue against the sme or rega arms looking to be very good matches. However, it would seem remiss of me not to throw my latest purchase into the hat, which is proving to be a bit of a revelation for me. Vertere’s latest arm the sg pta, which comes in two forms, one with “custom” internal wiring and one that comes with their hb “hand built” internal wiring. I have just replace my tabrizi with the hb version and am absolutely loving it! I believe it has the same geometry as your current arm and adjustable vta. For me it’s not a elegant as the two options above, but looks stunning in it’s own way and is very well engineered. Btw, I don’t know if this is normal, but the prices of these arms don’t include the tone arm cable. Vertere provide a number of options.

4 Likes

I would recommend taking a look at Audiomods, I run a classic on my Orbe SE. It works very well.

1 Like

Thank you.

I love the comment about the Vertere, ‘it looks stunning in its own way’! I like my Rega.

5 Likes

I agree that an Origin Live tonearm would be a good fit with Rega

2 Likes

So do I.

1 Like

A bit left field perhaps, but I’m personally very excited to try the Korf Audio arm at some point. I love that they’ve blogged about their design process, listing many attempts, failures, and measurements which support their claims. (For the anti-measurement crowd, they themselves say “Measurements are not performance”, see for example their Fourth Time Lucky post)

I think especially with tonearms there’s always a big risk because they’re so dependent on the the cartridge that it’s very hard to determine whether the arm is just better in genral, or the arm just works better with the particular cartridge.

1 Like

Graham,

I thought that would have a few heads scratching!! Yes, it’s a fluid stabilised laser alignment tool and was one of my slightly mad but good ideas. Basically a nice cheap device (about £25) which suspends a laser in some kind of fluid which thus always ensures the laser is absolutely horizontal no matter the orientation of the cube! It makes levelling anything a doddle although worth noting that the laser isn’t a super thin beam so I also use it in tandem with various VTA gauges from SME and Elvon.

Here’s the one I bought (no longer available but plenty similar available):

Tonearm-Cartridge-Azimuth-Alignment-Measuring

The only slightly annoying things is because I keep it with my hi-fi set-up tools I always forget to use it when doing any genuine DIY!! So for example the other day I put two guitar hangars up on the wall side by side and managed to drill the holes at very slightly different heights!! If I’d only used the laser even I wouldn’t have messed it up!!

I must say the laser beams are astonishingly bright, so bright that you half expect to be able to saw limbs clean off with it like some kind of Star Wars blaster!! So far nobody has been injured and it adds a bit of Industrial Light and Magic to any Gyrodec!!

Jonathan

5 Likes

Thank you, Jonathan for that explanation.

Just to let you know that today I purchased my new Rega RB 3000.Thanks everybody.
Thank you @hungryhalibut.It’s arriving on January,of course.I decided to get this one.So happy…

4 Likes

Good choice, Fabio. It’s a lovely arm and doesn’t look like a bath mixer. And it’s British too, so it helps our exports.

1 Like

A nice piece of kit.
You’ll not be disappointed.
It looks good, feels good and best of all sounds great.

1 Like

It seems you are an BB 58 happy owner too…

Congrats Fabio - a fine tonearm by all accounts, enjoy the music!

Jonathan

1 Like

Thank you so much Jonathan.

Me, er no 58. BB bronze, Pelagos and BB steel and gold on leather strap.
But I do like Tudor.

I see.I like Pelagos too.

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: