New TT or a new amp or new speakers? Help!

Don’t forget, @frenchrooster, for any means, the Musical Fidelity statement series, Nu-Vista 600 (220 W/ch 8 Ohms - 440 W/Ch. 4 Ohms, hibrid valves pre and ss amp, dual monophonic) or 800 (same specs but 330 W/Ch in 8 Ohms).

The mine one control the ProAc K6 with iron hand and velvet subtlety, and its valve pre is magical with ProAc without losing the speed and brilliant dynamics of the solid state; and, currently, as it begins to be discontinued, you can easily find a new brand one for a lower price than a new brand Supernait 3, a real bargain. You have to listen to it to understand how overrated and hyperpreciated most brands are.

3 Likes

I could have advised Musical Fidelity too, of course. Second hand Vitus Rh 101 , Jeff Rowland Continuum, and probably many others.

1 Like

This made me laugh. Perhaps not your intention. You are clearly passionate about HiFi and have an opinion (good). I mostly feel bemused, but fascinated nonetheless.

1 Like

My last comment was for Frenchrooster. Not sure it linked.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Bemusement is my waking state of mind for ninety percent of the time - I live for that ten percent clarity!

Was it a positive comment :grin:?

1 Like

Lol

It was

1 Like

With the Nu Vista, how long are the tubes meant to last and can the easily be replaced?

The tubes are named Nuvistors, a technology from the 50s that gave very good results in its day and that, due to supply problems ceased to be considered …, until MF decided to recover it in its statement series.

In addition to the fact that they are authentic tubes and provide that warmth in the pre so magical with certain speakers, the best thing is that they are tiny (just 2 inches high), do not heat up and do not emit heat, and MF guarantees its useful life (+ 100,000 hours) even beyond the life of the integrated itself, which, normally, first it would have to be recaped.

From MF:

"The Nu-Vista series is made with Nuvistor technology, developed in the 1950s. Nuvistor is an advanced metal-tube electron tube that is extremely durable, provides high performance and excellent sound and flexibility. This state-of-the-art circuitry guarantees excellent, clear, distortion-free sound and stable operation.

NUVISTOR-technology

The founder of Musical Fidelity, Anthony Michaelson, bought the last operational production line and practically set up his own Nuvistor production plant. The advent of transistors has pushed the use of electron tubes into the background in the production of audio and hi-fi products. The manufacturer writes 100,000 hours for nuvistors. The Nuvistor vacuum tube is most often thimble-shaped, made entirely of metal, and has a ceramic base. It requires special equipment and a production line. The entire structure is assembled and then placed in a metal casing, sealed, and processed in a simple vacuum chamber with simple robotic equipment. Nuvistors are among the best performing receiver tubes and have extremely low noise levels.

The amplifier has a triode design and, thanks to direct heating, can be used safely even at high temperatures. At the top and back are small openings through which you can see the four illuminated Nuvistor tubes, which turn red when turned on and then green when warmed up."

In my opinion, the only downside that the Nu-Vista 600 integrated has is that it is a beast of 50 cms x 50 cms x 25 cms and 35 Kg. weight. But you can not have everything, and if you have the space, and someone who can help you with the installation, I bet a premium pint that, if you like the sound (which I would have a hard time understanding that it could be otherwise), is more than able to get everything out of the Magico’s (it takes it all out of the K6, with extraordinary control and without any problem), you will not need to worry more about amplification in more than 20 years, and, as things are and come ahead, you will save a fortune (if you find a new brand one, they are so priced now that they are quoted more in the 2nd hand market than new brand).

Disclaimer: for the record, I do not perceive any money from MF nor do I have any conflict of interest; it’s just that I’m a very happy music lover-audiophile since I found this wonder after trying many things with the K6 without success (Exposure, Naim, McIntosh, Marantz…, even Pass Labs Int 60).

That is a very deep amp. What do you sit yours on shelving wise?

1 Like

2 Likes

Norstone Spider customized, :wink:.

@domwhist. Unfortunately, you don’t say what you are trying to achieve. However I can see the following:

• The Magicos are not exactly super-sensitive speakers, but not that much worse than Linn Kans of old and a bit better than LS3/5as. They’re not that bad a load.

• the Supernait 2 is perfectly capable of driving 4 ohm speakers. FWIW Its measurements are pretty much as per a 250-2. So no fundamental issue with the Magicos.

• the stuff about couple and decoupled motors sounds a bit like ‘guff’ to me. Coupled to what? Who cares how much a record player weighs. So don’t worry about it.

I’d recommend you ponder on what you think is wrong with the sound and take it from there.

If I were in your shoes, I’d likely not swap Magicos for PMC or Spendors. It feels random.

Does the record player sound bad and the CD Player good? In which case, sort the record player. The normal suspects can apply Linn, Rega, SME etc. The Dais is good too, but number of people who own a Dais/Naim/Magico system can likely be counted on the figures of no hands. Hence you’re going have to do the leg work.

Just saw some systems pics with the Magico A1: driven by Chord Ultima, big Macintosh, Accuphase E 800, Soulution stack or Vitus amps. All definitely in another league than a Supernait.

1 Like

Not as deep as MF’s earlier flagship, the SA470. I lusted after that at one time (in the days when energy was cheaper than now!). A class A amp, with serious power, weighing IIRC something like 80kg, it was about 70cm deep. Not something you put on a shelf, but on the floor - or ideally in place of your central heating boiler!

1 Like

Very smart.

1 Like

I don’t disagree about what you say in regard to the SN2, but there is certainly room for improvement amp wise that would not be lost on the speakers. I can’t help but think by resolving this element it will help me identify what is wrong with the sound/source, and help shape the future choice/character of turntable. Otherwise isn’t there a danger of opting for whichever of the many many TT and still feeling disappointed overall because of the amp constraining the sound. This is on the basis that the choice of amp is more forgiving than the source.