NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

Have you tried on other power outlets in the house? Is it on a circuit with something like a TV or a fridge?

But fwiw both my Atom HE units hum quite audibly when connected to certain power outlets in the house. It does not bother me as I have pretty long headphone cables.

1 Like

My HE is entirely hum-free. It took ages to burn in - much more than 50 hrs. For quite a while it would surprise me with another little improvement, opening out further.

Sometimes it helps just to lift and resettle a unit. Or move it a few cm left / right / backwards / forwards.

1 Like

I have no hum, but burn in for 50 hours, I agree with Michaelb - then try different positions.

The Unit is great, I will let it play for more 24 hours and then listen. Love it.

The surprise was the transformer noise, next week I will buy a DC Blocker from IFi to see if the transformer noise reduces. The noise is listenable 5 meters away from the unit so I was surprised by it, is on the same outlet of my NDX 2 and using the NDX 2 cable.

In the UK it comes with a Naim Powerline-Lite supplied. Might be worth trying other electrical sockets in your house just to see if the hum goes. Try moving it away from your main system. There is also a switch on the back for the floating Earth. See this forum thread:
https://community.naimaudio.com/t/uniti-atom-grounding-switch/1491

Same here, my Atom HE is dead silent. I do have an AudioQuest Niagrara 1200 in front of it.

1 Like

Also have it connected to a Niagara 1200, if the DC Blocker does not reduce this buzz the Atom will be forgotten on a shelve, the buzz is loud enough that bothers me.

The NDX 2 also have a small buzz but have to be almost with my ear next to the box to hear it, this uniti is loud enough that I hear it present in the whole living roon. For the price it costs is not very encouraging.

Did you try it plugged in elsewhere. That is, away from sockets that power the rest of your system?

Hello,

Yes I connected in tree of my rooms, also disconnected all devices in the living room, and only connected the uniti directed to the wall, and then to the niagara 1200 with only the Uniti atom.

I have a lot of audio devices, the uniti is the only that produces this kind of noise, if it was my only device I would take it for granted as normal, but is not, the noise is too much from the power supply to bug me and my wife.

The NDX 2 had a small very small buzz Sometimes that only when very close to the unit was noted, the uniti is not necessary to go close just need to enter the room to know is connected. In stand by is silent.

Buzz is similar to this video Naim Nait XS noisy transformer problem - YouTube

Contact your dealer if your Atom H E is new and see if they will swop it for another. They don’t all buzz. Naim Support may offer some advice.

4 Likes

I agree. It’s obviously a problem and @sonwleo shouldn’t have to endure something that will make them unhappy. It could well be a problem with just that unit and I’m sure their dealer will be able to come up with something to check whether a replacement Atom HE will perform perfectly.

1 Like

It’s always a bit of grey area. Perhaps your Atom is a bit noisier than others, but it may also be affected by the electrical environment in your home, or by the incoming mains quality. Perhaps your dealer can try it in his demo room and compare it to another one.

4 Likes

I only hear a bit of noise when it first starts up. You hear a click and little bit of warm up sound and then dead silent.

I will contact the dealer on Monday and also try a DC Blocker. The unit is running to burn in, and tomorrow I will listen to it to see what changed after 50 hours of playback.

I must admit that is a beautiful piece of hardware.

1 Like

I finally have my IE900. Has anyone tried them with the HE? Can you answer any of the questions I posted above?

Thanks!

Finely having a listening to the Atom HE and the focal utopia.

After 50 hours the sound is better than out of the box new, cleaner and simply better.

I do not like the combination of the IFi power cable with it, is not bad but as I have better power cables, I am trying now with an audioquest tornado appears to result better, Wi-Fi is great and works without issues, this transforms the uniti in a one cable solution for me.

I have some audioquest network cables here, cinamon, vodka and diamond, will have to see what beneficial trades they add on this specific unit. To use it with a network cable have to change the unit to another location that at the moment is not what I intended to.

If the DC Blocker removes the buzz I will be an happy costumer. Anyway for the price Naim should have implemented a circuit to prevent this kind of transformer behavior.

Has anybody tested the ability to deal with moving super high resolution through Wi-Fi, I have a couple of albums with 24/352 and would be interested to understand if that’s possible.

I have no problems streaming DSD 128 or DXD 24.352 over Wi-Fi to the Atom HE, but my network is strong in all places at my home.

1 Like

Yes. I play PGGB files from Roon to the Atom HE with no problems at all via WiFi. The files are 768/32 converted by Roon to 384/32.

To begin with I used to connect via Ethernet cable but the WiFi sounds no different and connection is rock solid even at the max but rates etc so I now use WiFi only.

1 Like