NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

For those of you that purchased the HE, what were you using to drive your headphones/earphones before?

What else did you consider buying instead of HE?

I’m wondering what those coming from dedicated headphone amps feel like they gained or lost in switching to HE.

Thanks!

I was using a Chord Hugo and after that the regular Atom. The HE sounds much better than the Atom (duh) and I like it better than the Chord Hugo due to more PRaT and musicality. I must admit though that the Hugo handled DSD better.

1 Like

I purchased it exclusively for my headphones, but I could use it as a steaming unit for my focal solo 6be using the balanced outputs. When my unit arrives again maybe I will try it.

1 Like

DSD is not that great on Naim, I convert it to pcm in roon before sending it to a Naim streamer, and that results the best.

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Edit: tried it just now and sounds excellent. More open compared to playing native DSD directly into the Atom HE. I resample to 352.8 Hz. :+1:t2:

BR,
Richard

Didn’t use a dedicated headphone amp before I purchased the Atom HE, I used a Chord DAVE. I considered the Chord Hugo/2Go as an alternative to the Atom HE. In comparison to the DAVE I didn’t feel I lost anything really, different presentation/emphasis, happy with both although don’t use the DAVE much for headphone duties as in main listening room and Atom in the living room.

1 Like

I was using the Dave/mscaler. I may have lost the precise timing and life-like presentation, but gained more enjoyment with better weight and foot tapping groove. I also gained a better integrated system that works better with roon. I have one remote to control playback and volume.

I also have the Focal Arche as 2nd headphone setup but prefer Naim HE is every aspect except Arche has slightly more air to it at the expense of weight.

1 Like

I also have the Focal Arche as well as the Atom HE and i use it mainly on my PC. It is a very nice amp and would be better if it was not so buggy.

1 Like

Hello, just to update, my Uniti was confirmed as having a problem with noisier transformer, I will receive a new one when available.

8 Likes

That’s good and bad, good you’re getting a replacement but bad it had a problem to start with.

2 Likes

Hi, was you transformer humming ? Did you take a video of that ?because mine seems to also hum a bit too much and some other owners told me that their unit were dead silent, so I would like to compare.

I did not made a vídeo but I found a similiar issue on YouTube, mine was a little more louder it could be listened more than 7 meters away.

1 Like

Getting a different fridge cured such a hum for us.

1 Like

Wow no it’s not that much on mine, i noticed yesterday evening because the room was nearly dead silent. When so, I can ear it from 2 meters away, but I’m very sensitive to unwanted noise.
What bothers me is that I asked several owners of the Atom if they have this problem and they said theirs were dead silent.

I will let you know when my new one arrives.

Oh jeez no, have nothing like that on mine. When I said I have some hum on both units I did not mean THIS.

1 Like

The new Uniti Atom HE arrived, and this one is as expected, sillent when on. I Will let the new unit burn in for a week.

8 Likes

Great ! :+1:

It’s completely dead silent, even when you are really close (like your ear near the power input) ?

1 Like

It has a very little hum, but very little, similiar of what I remember from my NDX2. but this time fades a few cm away. The other one was noisy real noisy, but it was defective.

1 Like

The good thing of these HE’s is that they are quite readily available.

3 Likes