NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

Same streaming platform, but otherwise very different products for different audiences and set-ups. Too many variables to say ‘what is better’, as so much would depend on partnering products. As ever, I would urge a demo with your choice of speakers etc.

1 Like

Some more information about the amp (apologies if it’s already posted and I missed the info. above) here.

Hi @Naim.Marketing I wondered why there were so many headphones in the naim HQ demo room when I was there before the first lockdown last year! I was too busy listening to the S1 !

Congratulations to the team on a great new naim product during a very stressful time for any manufacturer. I look forward to hearing one in the near future.

3 Likes

4.4mm used on DAPs and most new headlamps. It’s a great little connector for balanced. Use it all the time on my DAP.

Is this replacing the Focal Arche headphone amp ? Does it have a dedicated XLR balance socket so you could use like the Utopia headphones or would you need adaptors ?

It’s an alternative to Arche, which is just a headphone amp - Uniti Atom Headphone Edition is an entire streaming system. And yes, it has XLR balanced output - perfect for Utopia, which is one of the (many) headphones we used to test the product when developing it.

I like the idea/look of this a lot. I listen to classical music or the radio in bed before going to sleep but have a bit of a mullet (ipad/Sony Z1R over ear) at mo as I use the cans with my nova. This box could cure my issues with that. If the guys at Signals have a demo I might try and have a listen. More money going Naims way …

2 Likes

You can also take advantage of the Pentaconn connector using the Sony’s balanced cable too.

1 Like

Good call, I forgot about that, thank you.

1 Like

A new nice kimber kable as well maybe

When will this be available to buy ?

Dealers whom pre-ordered have got early stock now. More to follow as we ramp up production.

2 Likes

I have only just noticed that the Nova ‘lost’ the digital output that its predecessor, the SuperUniti had.

Sadly my knowledge of streaming devices is limited. Thanks for the clarification.

So streaming these music services can only be done via the Naim app on a phone/tablet etc., or by utilising AirPlay etc., not directly using just the streaming device? This means an additional phone or tablet is fairly essential for full functionality?

Please excuse my ignorance, I must do some research.

Cheers!

Yes, you need a phone or tablet as your controller. Some services are integrated into the Naim App ecosystem - including Qobuz, TIDAL and Spotify Connect - with many others available via Chromecast Built-in (Deezer, Soundcloud, others!), Apple AirPlay 2 (Apple Music). And even more streaming possibilties via Roon!

1 Like

Looking at the functionalities, the Atom HE seems to merge the now discontinued DAC V1, Headline and NAC-n 172XS (everyone in here seems to forget that this product ever existed…). The price is pretty consistent with what a 172 with better headphone amp would cost.

Looking through my crystal ball, I still expect the new design to “trickle up” to the rest of the boxes, but most likely with a complete rethinking of the range and increased levels of integration at the lower end. So in one year from now we can probably wave goodbye to the slim-line boxes, the lower end of the classic range (202/200) and external power supplies for the entry & mid level. It already seems that the FlatCap/HiCap improvement in the latest NAITs is becoming marginal and SN3 is comparable to 202/200, so I would expect the range to get simplified.

I am still curious to see which way Naim will go with 272 replacement… Maybe one “Nova HE” (without power supply upgrade option) and a “572” without an internal supply? It seems to me that 272 was too good for its own sake (at the given price), so I expect Naim to “rationalize” the cost-performance ratio with this trick.

Of course I might be completely off the mark and Naim will surprise us with something completely new that we haven’t thought of… As far as I am concerned, I am still waiting for a shoebox digital transport with NP800 (Core Plus?) to feed my trusty old nDAC… Till then, Allo DigiOne Signature it is (already with Tidal Connect via Volumio).

Finally, I notice that you refer to the Uniti preamps as being “digital”. I understand that the analogue inputs are digitized to enable multi-room etc., but isn’t their volume control in the analogue domain?

4 Likes

No, the volume is digital, and a very good implementation, much as it was with the V1 as well as the rest of the Uniti range. Otherwise it wouldn’t be controllable via the app or Roon.

I’ll be curious how it stacks up to the V1 (with a very good streamer attached via USB) both in the headphone and preamp modes. I would love to simplify to one box - alas the simplification process would end up being a somewhat complicated one (for me)!

Is there a mute button on the front of the Atom? Sadly, that’s the favorite feature of the V1 for the rest of my family… :smirk:

There’s a pause/play button on the front - same effect :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well for what it is worth, already contacted my local dealer. Getting some stock in June I believe. Then I am going to try this puppy out!

2 Likes

I think it is “digitally controlled”, without a potentiometer, but in the analogue domain nevertheless. From this link: https://www.qobuz.com/lu-fr/info/hi-fi%2Fbancs-d-essai%2Fnaim-dac-v1-preparez-vous-a-rouler174193 and after Google Translate:

To be honest, I was a little while wondering what these four Analog Devices ADG1208 integrated circuits (analog multiplexers, located in the left part of the photo) were doing in this DAC-V1 near the floor of pre-amplification …

Yes, but it is of course … the volume control! And it is a luxury solution (although a relay version is even superior to it, but also in cost) which is called “volume control by switching resistors” and which offers identical attenuations on each channel (at one-thirtieth), which the best of stereo potentiometers cannot. The switching command is carried out by counting or counting the pulses generated by the optical encoder which makes it possible to adjust the volume.

The Naim Statement of course works only in the analogue domain and features a similar (but more advanced) logic in the volume control:

The class-A preamplifier also features vertical layout and disconnects unused inputs to lower the noise floor. It has a unique dual-action volume control: volume is established by a resistor divider; however, this is only when the volume is set; when the volume control is turned, reed relays disconnect the resistor ladder and the new level is set by a Cirrus Logic volume-control chip; as soon as the volume control is released, the Cirrus chip is disconnected and the better-sounding resistor ladder immediately assumes the new setting. I tried this out and could not detect any glitches that might result from this process. It was seamless.

Pure “digital” volume control affects the digital signal before the DAC conversion and as far as I know is not bit-perfect and has pretty poor performance in most implementations. So I tend to believe that also in Uniti the volume control remains in the analogue domain.

2 Likes