NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

So I’ve been running my unit all night and finally played a track I go back to a lot to test with Radiohead’s “Paranoid Android”. I’m starting to get a feel of what the Naim house sound and the Prat that’s talked about. You first hear the bass and the rhythm and then the rich mids. The highs are not as clear and airy as some other systems unless this changes in the next 24 hours. But what this does amazingly well is it’s gets the weight of the music right. And everything has nice texture to it. At about 4 minutes into that song you hear the humming backing vocals and even they have weight. You can feel it vibrating. Don’t think I’ve hear it like that before. With this unit you really feel the music.

This is like complete opposite of what I got from the Hugo 2. With that, you hear the music and pick everything out. Everything is crystal clear but it’s missing something. You don’t feel it and you’re not immersed in it. The Chord Dave fixed all that and has the detail and immersion but less weight than the Naim. And without the HF filter on, was too analytical with the Focal Utopia’s.

The Naim started in the other direction and needed time to open up. It was like everything was just a touch too thick. At this point I’d say the Dave had better depth but I’m not through burning in yet but man, this Radiohead album is sounding better than I remember it and don’t think anyone can accuse the Focal Utopia’s of not having enough bass. Keep in mind, all my listening is also with the Danacable Reference Lazuli cable, and that improves the Utopia’s even more.

6 Likes

I also have a Utopia with the Danacable. My headphone amp is a Violectric V281.
Some time ago, I discussed the need for Naim to develop a new headphone amp with my long time friend and Naim dealer. He told me one was coming but no details or schedule.
Well, the Atom HE is that amp and he assured me I wouldn’t be disappointed in it. He’s never set me wrong.
So why would I want to replace the V281 which has to be on everyone’s short list of HP amps?
Here are my reasons:
Awesome package. Naim has knocked it out of the park with this device.
My Naim dealer assures me I would not be disappointed in it.
Better compatibility with the Utopia.
Volume control through Roon.
Naim sound.
Wireless.
All in one with Streamer/DAC. Not tied to my main system.

It may not have the SQ of the V281 but I’m betting it will offer a more pleasant experience.

My new Atom HE arrives Tuesday.

6 Likes

I can’t tell how nice having software volume control is. And also the fact that roon wakes up the device once you start playing a track. You don’t even need the Naim remote if you don’t want to use it. But let’s say your posting on this thread and want to change the track, you can do that thru the Naim remote. No need to go back to roon. If you do use Spotify, the volume rocker on the phone or tablet also controls the volume. What’s nice about all this is it’s not software digital volume but device volume that’s actually digitally controlled analog. So no comprises.

And as far as sound, I’m usually skeptical when I hear something needs burn in (other than tubes). Robb Watts always claimed his Chord products just needed brain burn in. I tried to force myself to like the Hugo 2 over time but never got there. With the HE, I’m finding burn in to be true. No longer sounding closed in and the richness and textures are great. It does sound different from what I was used to, so think I also needed to warm up to what it’s presenting.

4 Likes

I have not heard this Atom HE but heard the Hugo 2 and Dave in audio systems, with speakers.
I had the same feeling as you. With Chord, everything is crystal clear and you have more details. A lot of people think it’s a proof of superiority of these modern dacs vs old Naim dacs.
It’s crystal clear, yes, but something is missing. You miss the organic, textured , articulated and involving sound that Naim can procure.
A lot of people are materialistic audiophile. They want to extract the least details in the album and they think that the goal is achieved.

5 Likes

Sorry to get back to you but you say there is no comparison can you explain in what way please? I am torn on the Atom HE and Atom due to restrictions with speaker size. I am thinking Atom and Iotas (demo Friday) listened near field or HE with my Grado 325e with a view to adding powered speakers at a later date. Am I going to realise the full potential of the HE with the Grado or do I need to upgrade? I’ve entered a worm hole here I feel😐

That I really don’t know. I don’t know those headphones at all. But in the reviews I read that folks were ecstatic about using Focal Utopias with the HE. So there is LOTS of upgrade room. So I would say the HE will show the full potential of your Grado’s but they won’t reach the full potential of the HE. Which is not a bad position to be in at all.

Really interested in your impressions.
My NDS/V281 is awesome, so if the Atom HE is getting close then wow.

Perfect answer thanks👍🏼

1 Like

Like you with your NDS, I have a great source with my ND555. That may be the deciding factor rather than the actual headphone amp.
My Atom HE is in Phoenix so I’ll have it tomorrow.

I used to the own the 225e, RS-1, and the super rare PS-1 and I would think the HE is overkill for the 325 as for the price you pay. I’m not sure I’d even pay that much to amp the RS-1. But if you’re paying for the HE feature set and easy of use, then might be worth the cost. I just don’t know if the 325 will show the full potential of the HE but I guess the HE will show the full potential of the 325, so that’s a good thing.

Grado sells a wooden amp that’s just a cheap $35 cmoy amp inside. I had one at one point and it actually sound pretty good with the Grados. So they are really efficient headphones and don’t really need expensive amps to sound their best.

So if your fine with spending over $3000 to amp the Grados but know that most any other headphone you get down that road will also sound amazing, go for it.

So the HE has been running in for quite a few hours and also got the Shunyata Venom HC cable this morning. The HE has been improving over the weekend the whole time. Adding the new power cable just gave this extra clearly audible boost in resolution and bass floor.

I am in love with this little unit. It is everything I hoped it would be.

I think this is a no brainer purchase in many cases.

Initially I was wondering why would Naim put this feature into the Atom. The DAC had me a little worried but over headphones it kicks my Star out of the park. Doing this slots this unit into a price range that is not overly prohibitive while giving a sound that one will have to spend a hell of a lot of extra cash to achieve over speakers in the living room.

4 Likes

My local dealer mentioned they were selling a lot of the HE … even with people originally eyeing other models.

I don’t know what Naim did to the bass. But there’s a fullness to the sound and a dynamic attack I don’t recall my Utopia to have had with my other sources. Makes for an almost cinematic experience.

2 Likes

I agree. I cannot imagine what it sounds like on your headphones. This side it is making my paltry HD660s headphones do things they have not done before either. The kind of things that make me sigh, sit back and listening to just one more track… until it’s early morning.

My best estimate of what this will cause at Naim is:

1 Like

Have used balanced out with the DanaCable?
I can’t get it to work. Single ended out is fine.

Looks like i need to get an adaptor to adopt 4-pin XLR to 4.4mm Penaconn.

It works fine for me. Make sure you push all the way in. I’ve had no issues at all. If it doesn’t work you should return the unit. No reason you need an adapter.

The Atom doesn’t support the normal 4-pin XLR connector. It supports a new connection developed by Sony called a 4.4mm Pentacomm. As the name implies it has 5 pins. Headphone cables support the older 4-pin XLR connection.

There are adaptors for the problem.

What headphone cable are you using?

It support XLR , 4.4 pentacon and 6.3mm. XLR is round the back as there is no room at the front for it. Lilley the extra room for having no hdmi allows space for it.

The HE has 4 pin XLR - around in the back, if I’m not mistaken.

Yes you are right. I just screwed up. I was trying that. I’ll do as you recommend.

Luckily I have a 10 ft cable because you can lose about 10-12” by having to connect it in the back. I have not compared single ended using stock cable but heard all the headphone outputs were volume matched. Usually balance is louder than other outputs because it puts out more power. Don’t think there’s been any confirmation on how much power the balanced output has.