NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

Thanks for the comparison. Headphones are my main listening so I’ll stick with the NDS/V281.

1 Like

I was interested to see how the Atom HE compared to the v281. Not that I’ll be changing…

Likewise. I’m using a V280 connected via Chord Sarum T DIN-RCA to an ND555. Headphones are Sennheiser HD800S. I shall be sticking with that. Like MaxiMe, headphones (for various reasons) are now my main form of listening. Nevertheless, the Atom HE is clearly a brilliant product and if I were starting out again it would probably be top of my list.

2 Likes

I went back to compare the Naim Uniti Atom HE against the Focal Arche again. Not sure if it just needed burn in or I’ve gotten used to the sound but finding the Naim to be much better. Most notably in the texture, especially in the low end. And the amount of decay. Vocals are more natural and hear more detail within them. Soundstage and impact are very close. The Naim feels like it wraps around you a little bit more and is more immersive.

7 Likes

Any new reviews or feedback? :slight_smile:

Here you go - ‘Outstanding Product’ award from Hi-Fi News: full review →

10 Likes

Not another Everard/Miller luv in……just teasin
@andreweverard

1 Like

Have some of the many happy Atom HE owners tried tried the Atom HE as a pre-amp with a power amp and speakers? I, and probably many others, would be interested to hear their comments

I have a “spare” Nap 250DR that would be my initial choice although it might be overkill so I may go for active speakers or a smaller power amp later.I would be using the Atom HE in a second system with headphones but the pre-amp output also appeals

6 Likes

Yes this would interest me too, I note that the reviews i have read so far don’t really talk about this mode of operation.

Of course the Atom HE is a headphone amp and clearly marketed as such, but you can’t leave us without a 272 replacement, then add a self powered preamp feature to a new product and not tell us all how wonderful it is. Please!

3 Likes

I replaced a standard Atom with an Atom HE on my computer desk. I bought some Focal Clear MGs at the same time, as my main aim was to get better headphone music listening. To allow my Mac Mini to use it, I added a NAP100 I had spare to go with my PMC twenty.21s. However, I have some Acoustic Energy AE1 Active speakers on order. There’s a definite improvement from my previous set-up - greater clarity, but the PMC’s are not at their best I think for near-field low volume listening, so I’m hoping the AE1’s will improve things further as well as simplyfing my set-up.

1 Like

Roog - one or two reviewers have spoken favourably of the ability to use the Atom HE with a power amp. A UK dealer has said he was impressed with the Atom HE paired with a power amp and speakers. I am also waiting for the 272 replacement but until it comes I am tempted to try the Atom HE

Paul - thanks for your interest and I look forward to hearing how you get on with the AE Actives as I have also wondered about using either them or a power amp and Kef LS50s or similar

There are some reviews around about this combo. Sounds very " real world" , the AE1s look really nice speakers

Yep, this one from the US tests exactly that combo - i’ve linked to it before, but as we’re discussing it specifically…

2 Likes

Indeed, @Secrethills it could well be worth a listen. I have a few options which I would like to try, but the whole Covid thing has put me off venturing into a HiFi shop and the general uncertainty has put me off spending my savings, just in case, in case of what I don’t know, I just know, “just in case!” .

1 Like

Many dealers will now come to you and demo , they have adapted.

Audio T have been brilliant to deal with over Lockdown

This is good to know @Ian2001, I have tried to engage with my two local HiFi shops, I get the feeling that they are too busy to bother with me! Nice problem to have I suppose.

One thing which generally puts me off taking the next step is the absence of DSP, both for headphone use and for room correction. Whilst DSP may not be the last word in High Fidelity, my room is not the last word in acoustic perfection either and whilst room treatment is not on the cards, subtle DSP might be.

Roon offers DSP options - worth demo’ing with that enabled (can always sign up for a free trial) to see if it works for you.

1 Like

Thanks Clare, I had heard that Roon offers DSP for room correction and I guess it is suitable for headphone EQ. too. I am however not persuaded to buy into Roon at this time in part due to the additional cost but also the need for another ‘computer’ running all the time to host it.

I do like the idea of being able to run DSP room correction from what I would recognise as a piece of HiFi hardware.

2 Likes

DSP hardware will be working hard compared to something like a UPnP server, or possibly a streaming board, so I strongly suspect that it’s best decoupled from the HiFi system if you run it at all. Running Roon as a network server achieves this.
FWIW Naim said that they looked at built in DSP during the development of the 272 and decided against it due to the effects on sound quality.

You can buy an intel nuc kit pretty cheap and setup a roon rock server. Once done, it’s pretty much forget about it. And if ever need to reset can even just do that thru the app. And the Naim has worked flawlessly just using wireless with it. Just moved unit to another part of the house and was good to go in under a minute. When I had the Chord Dave and Mscaler, would spend over a half hour trying to reconnect everything.