NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

Is it a bit cheaper with the power amp missing?

It has AptX HD Bluetooth. Seriously, between that, AirPlay 2, Chromecast built-in, UPnP, Roon, and Qobuz, TIDAL and Spotify covered directly, that should cover vast majority of connectivity options

2 Likes

Not with all the extra features and re-engineering involved

2 Likes

Not quite. It is still an iPad in a way but e.g. has a keyboard (option?) and really serve different use cases

@Naim.Marketing

This is some interesting news indeed. Been looking for a solution of getting the kind of headphone quality I get with my Star upstairs in my office. It may be exactly what I am looking for.

So a few questions:

• Will this equal or outperform the headphone amp on my Star?
  • I actually considered getting a normal Atom for this purpose. I assume this will outperform that on headphones by a large margin?
  • I assume it slots into multi room and will be able to play vinyl that is connected to my Star?
  • Question from total ignorance to see if this fits at all into my future succession planning. How close would adding a good power amp get to a NDX2 / Supernait 3 combo?

Appreciate your time in answering these.

1 Like

Yes to outperforming ANY Uniti headphone output - this is a whole new headphone amp design.

And yes, works in a multi-room setup - same as other Naim streaming products.

Re product comparisons - demo at your dealer!

5 Likes

The 272 is still listed as current on the Naim product page.

Where does this leave the standard Atom, as I see the price is the same and this new Atom seems to have lost the HDMI input?

No, I still use my Star for ripping, currently using it as a preamp streamer and it works surprisingly well now the power amp is not used. I might well go to my dealer and listen to the Atom HE side by side with the Star through a 250DR and find out what I think at some point in the future, once the dem Atom HE has burnt in properly. If the Atom sounds a good margin better than the Star then I might buy rather than wait for the 272 replacement. I had thought about getting a second hand 272 but the prices being asked are OTT I think and a few people have questioned whether it is a good move as the streamer is the old generation, so what I would gain on the preamp I would lose on the streamer section of the 272.

1 Like

Ha! …was just looking for the same screenshot!

And I hate to say I told everyone so - but I did tell everyone so!

2 Likes

Standard Atom remains as a one-stop box. You now just have another option in the Uniti range.

Not sure if officially discontinued, but only device still on the old platform. This forum is full of threads where the consensus is that the old platform isn’t worth investing in. And at dealers it’s being discounted / had a price drop. Usually a sign replacement is imminent.

Of course all speculation, but I’d say the signs are pretty strong.

We stopped making new 272 units last year - an official update did go out to every dealer worldwide.

6 Likes

Let me/us know, as the same thought has crossed my mind. Although I have to think carefully whether I’d be happy to lose both HDMI and a 2nd analogue input.

The only 272’s I have seen advertised this year have been ex dem or refurbished ones.

When to expect 272 II ?

We don’t discuss our product roadmap, sorry!

2 Likes

The HDMI issue had crossed my mind, the second analogue input is less of an issue for me as I only use 1 currently.

Speaking of which, I noticed the other day that that had disappeared from the 2nd gen Mu-so and Qb. Seems a strange regression as the device have otherwise been improved vs gen1, plus it’s a 1.5k device from a company priding itself on sound quality. Are there any plans to add that or another high quality codec like LDAC in the future?

Mu-so 2nd Gen products gained Chromecast built-in, though (and so much more).

Can’t discuss future product specs, sorry!

1 Like