New Uniti Nova

Clare. What do you think between the Nova and the ND5XS2 and Nait XS3 as compared to the Nova? I could go either way. I have the Atom with the Nova backordered. So I could switch, the difference is insignificant. Is any aspect of the Nova superior or vise versa? Is the Nova more…complete, inasmuch as it wouldn’t need or improve with other toys (such as powerline…)

Performance is on a par, but there are pros and cons to each. For example:

Nova has a screen - ND5 XS2 does not
Nait XS3 has a built-in phono stage - Nova does not
Separates path gives you more flexible upgrade options… but is two boxes, not one. (And if you stack those boxes to save space, you’re going to impair performance - Nova is a smarter solution for space-limited situations)

2 Likes

I would just add to Claire’s comments that the Nova has a little more power than the XS3 which might give it the edge with more demanding speakers. That aside, my preference would be for the separates, but only if you have the space for two boxes without stacking them.

2 Likes

Thank you for this information
I have a Nova on back order (10 week Wait) and was considering the ND5 XS2 and XS3 alternative but I definitely have a space limited situation so will stay with the Nova.

1 Like

I had the same decision to make, and went with the Nova for exactly the same reason. Love it.

2 Likes

Well. I do like the screen. But I also have room for them side by side. Also don’t have or plan on getting a turntable. I stream everything (lost all my physical copies of music in a hurricane.) As for speakers I have the Focal Chora 816s. Would either be similar as far as further upgrades wanted? (power source…) You have a Nova Clare? What do you have yours plugged into? Are you using the supplied cord? These are things I don’t know…

Yes, I have a Nova - no cable upgrades; all as in box. Uniti + Chora is a gorgeous visual and sonic match (the trim on the Chora line matches the Uniti trim, FYI!) - you’ll be very happy indeed, with room for future speaker updates should you wish. My Nova drives Focal Kanta 2s happily (and loudly!)

1 Like

So you used the supplied cord. Awesome. I like the Choras, and yeah, they are beautiful. I wonder about speaker upgrades tho. I bought these without hearing them (I got them on a unadvertised special deal 2 for 1!) So I jumped. My listening room is smallish tho…

…lol…the delay in shipment is giving me time to question!

Choras are perfect for a smaller room - you’re going to love the combo :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried a Nova last year and didn’t really like it. Partly the sound and partly the ergonomics. My dealer was very clear that the ND5XS2 and Nait XS3 is significantly better, though I did not try them back to back. A lot depends on which approach you like - more traditional and discreet or more blingy and lifestyle. As you have an Atom, a Nova is simply a bigger, uglier version, and you’ll have no trouble adjusting. I like to be able to press a mute button on the box, something you cannot be with a Nova.

The fancy wires thing isn’t really an issue - the stock leads are perfectly fine.

If you did go the XS route, note that you can connect them with system automation and control the volume with the app. But you don’t get a remote with the ND5XS2. You’d still have a remote with the Nait though.

There is also the question of which gives you the most joy to look at and use. You need something you are happy interacting with.

Well…I personally think the Atom is beautiful. As for the muting, at the unit it’s always fun to touch the dial…lol…the significant sound difference would be the thing. As for the one box, I do prefer that. Less crap. If it’s as good. Is it true Naim (and dealers) give 100% purchase price when trading up (within a time frame?) So if I did decide…

1 Like

I’m assuming your penultimate sentence is down entirely to today’s date.

In your dreams.

1 Like

Uh…what?

I think that HH is referring to your last sentence about the 100% purchase price upon trading up …

Hm…I did read that, but I’m not sure where. I am currently doing so with my Atom. So…it is possible I have found the best dealer in the world! lol…as I said I bought the Focal Chora 816s 2 for the price of 1. He offered me the 806s or the 816s. I would have gotten the 826s had they offered them. But the deal on the Chora 816s swung me from a Mu-so version 2 to the Atom. Sky by Gramophone is the dealer. In Maryland, USA. Good people.

You can of course add a power amp to the Nova that (depending on speaker choice) can prove a worthwhile upgrade as does the addition of a Powerline. A 250DR on my Nova has proven to provide a sizeable uplift in SQ especially following the latest firmware release…

1 Like

Yes you could but that then means you have an amplifier not utilised still in the Nova. If I was going down the pre power route would want a replacement for the 272. The Nova is just great as an all in one except for the CD player where I have a CD5 XS. I wish Naim would do a CD player in the Nova uniti livery even as a half box to go with my Core. I am personally sceptical about power lines and the perceived improvement they bring. Although never listened to the Nova with one on.

I would suggest an open mind and having a listen before a statement like that.

2 Likes

It’s not a general or wide-spread thing or a Naim thing but it’s up to the dealer and your relationship. I have a good and long one with mine for example and occasionally have received this benefit (or very close to). Obviously well cared for and within a few months.

1 Like

Opinions on this for the Nova? Necessary? Other better options
Furman Elite 15i Linear Filtering AC Power Source | SKY by Gramophone