New Versus Old Forum?

I find it OK and have largely forgotten about the previous forum. Although posting pictures is a lot easier, my old iPad seems unable to load pictures from its photo stream. Likewise, although the reply feature is much better, avoiding those long multiple quotations, I have been unable to quote from a post on any i-device as all it picks up is the first word.

I do wish it were possible to make direct contact with other members to share contact details etc. without these being visible to the world.

Regarding content, I guess that’s up to us, the users, but I don’t find it so engaging as it used to be.

1 Like

The quoting from an Idevice is easy when you know how. What you do is go to the post you want to quote. Press on the text until you get the circle and the choice of select or select all. Press select. It will now highlight a single word. You can then drag either end of the selected text to include as many words as you want. You can drag the front as well as the end of the highlighted bit. When all the text you want is highlighted, you take your finger off and then press the quote button that has magically appeared to the right of your screen.

It will then give you a new post and the quoted bit appears with “quote” at both ends. You can start to type anywhere after the last “quote”. Don’t delete anything of the quoted part and make sure you have a space between the last quote and what you type.

You can also do it by starting your post and then going through the quote procedure I explained above. This is handy for replying to someone to give context rather than the whole stream and also allows you to put multiple quotes in one post if you want.

I hope this helps.
Best

David

Yes, David, I would agree that in most aplications that works. However, on this forum I find the ‘quote’ box is too close to the blue markers and it immediately assumes I wish to quite the one word highlighted. Even when I am able to drag to a paragraph, and select the ‘quote’ box, it still only picks up the one word.

As an example, this, believe it or not, is a quote of the whole first paragraph of your post!

It’s very odd. Is this one idevice or more than one?

Playing around here, yes the quote box is close to the right hand marker in the quote, but I find if you ignore it and drag the marker to where you want without taking your finger off then touch quite as a separate action, it does work as I described. But if you allow your finger to come off the screen while moving the markers then it assumes you want to post now and does the quote.
Best
David

Just tried it for the first time…

1 Like

You should get another Badge now then!

Let’s see if I get a badge too!

You did! I can see it.
Best

David

1 Like

I do think the forum is far superior to the previous one… apart from the ridiculous badges…:grimacing:

Unfortunately with heavy work commitments and a mother recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s my time now is somewhat limited …

Wenger - hope Mum does as well as can be hoped for.

Regards,

Lindsay

2 Likes

Wenger my sympathies, as Lindsay said I hope she’s as well as is possible.

2 Likes

Wenger yes I have been there too, a few years ago now. It’s very difficult, shot through with ridiculous moments of absurd humour, which you have to embrace because they help to keep you sane, which is what your mother needs of you.
Best

David

1 Like

Thanks for the comments…
Lindsay, David, Eoink

one certainly needs to have a sense of humour…:grin:
It’s a strange disease…parent becomes child…ect ect

As a fellow Gooner and forum member I wish you all the very best mate and as terrible a time this is for you and your mother at least she has you.

1 Like

This new forum is way better. No more paging through discussions, they continue as long as is needed. That’s much better. The notifications are a big +ve, as too is the ability to jump to the last post or my last read post in a thread. Adding pictures is a doddle. Replying with either a quote or better still the Reply To This Post option makes for a much tidier process and less cluttered discussion. I like the white space layout too. V neat.

The only real downside is the housekeeping notices at the top of every page. Without fail I open the forum, go to scroll down and find myself scrolling the admin content. I might have read it once, tbh I’m not interested in being told on every visit that the forum complies with the relevant law; it should be off by default once a user indicates that he / she has read it, with a checkbox in Settings. Maybe there is such a thing already. The admin looks ugly, always makes me scroll the wrong thing and dominates the top of every page. Get rid of it pls.

I think i prefer the old forum layout. One thing i don’t like about this new one is when i want to go back a page it goes off site and i have to start again.

It shouldn’t do this. What browser are you using?

Can you post a screenshot so I can see what you’re seeing here?

Sure thing Richard. I see this on every visit; Chrome on my work laptop & home PC both fully patched W10 devices, and in Safari on the iPad (< 1 yr old, the base model whatever that might be)

Just spied the X in its top right. It’s gone. There yer go eh? :slight_smile: I see it so often I don’t see it, then on closer inspection there’s a close option. Tssk. :slight_smile:

1 Like