New Versus Old Forum?

OK thanks. I know that there have been some reported issues with Chrome, but certainly Safari should be fine (it’s what i use too). Are you closing down the dialog box? Once you close down the welcome dialog box it shouldn’t come back - certainly not during any particular logged-on session.

1 Like

I found the format of the old forum fine but posting pics on the new one is definitely an improvement. Like others, I’m not sure about the badges. The only real irritant I have with the new forum is the way it gradually consumes more and more of my MacBook Pro’s resources until the point at which I get a warning from my operating system suggesting I should shut it down and reload. I find I have to do this every few days or so. Not a big deal in the wider scheme of things but its the only application I use that seems to have this characteristic.

1 Like

What’s the “problem” with these badges ?

I know they exist, but I never see them unless I deliberately go looking for them to see what all the fuss is about. Ignore them and (to all intent and purpose) they don’t exist.

2 Likes

Richard,

I haven’t bothered to report this as an issue because it is a very minor one. I use Microsoft Edge, and the only minor issue relating to this that I have found is - whenever one attempts to click on the profile of someone who happens to have a ‘hidden profile’, there is no way to page back to one’s last location. The screen does not respond to any attempt to page backwards.

A very minor issue.

For what it is worth, I hated the format of the new forum for all of 2 or 3 days. I normally hate change and so I decided to give it a few days before complaining. After just a few days I found myself preferring the new format. Quite a common occurrence with change and old fogeys (well - I’m getting there quickly) like me.

Richard, it’s Safari on the Apple Mac.

Thanks Super. That’s odd, I’m using Safari too on my MBP. Is it all fully up to date? What version of Safari on which OS version?

Richard, it’s Safari version 12.1 on macOS Mojave version 10.14.4 This is the latest.

Just earned a “First Onebox” badge! Er… does that mean I’ve suddenly become important???

1 Like

I’d like to say yes but I haven’t a clue either :flushed:

Definitely important. When I got it, I checked what it meant, when you add a link to a post, the forum software goes to look for it and will try to create a snippet of the content in your post. That is a OneBox. By reading the user guide to find that out I got a badge to tell me I was Certified, still not sure about that one.

I see you’ve also earned ‘higher love’. Lucky you!

I’m also regular, so many joke options. :grinning:

I think that the new forum technically is far superior. Many many features that are quite helpful and make for easier reading.

It would be unfair or just nonsensical to compare content; that always ebbs and flows on such fora. I just remain grateful for those who post what I consider good content, which might be technically good, or just funny in a way I appreciate humour, or just educational in general, etc etc.

Part of the fun for me is that being from the States I’m in a minority AND I get to learn all sorts of slang and witticisms from other cultures.

2 Likes

A tip for searching old forum:
Search in Google, you will find easily topics from old forum with content related to your search, then copy from Google the topic title you want to find and search it using archive’s search function…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.