New vinyl play-order?

The following has arrived/is due to arrive next couple of days, a somewhat eclectic mix! New Ortofon Blue being installed on Rega P3 (once I stop typing), what order would you guys play the following (random) list in?

1. Oxygene - Jean Michel Jarre
  2. Equinoxe - ditto
  3. Phaedra - Tangerine Dream
  4. Dance- Gary Numan
  5. Ultimate Collection - Dylan
  6. Space Oddity - Bowie
  7. 3-D - Kraftwerk

Also, would it be advisable to run new cartridge in for a few hours before ‘listening proper’ starts?

What a bizarre question. Do you seek advice when deciding in which order to put on your socks? Or whether to eat your peas or carrots first?

2 Likes

Just a bit of fun really :grinning:

1 Like

Leaving aside whether which if any I might not play at all, the order I’d play in would depend on mood at the time, notmally picking the next shortly before or after one finishes, generally the thought of what to play next simply coming to me at that point. If I was planning in advance I’d have a reason or theme for planning: e.g wanting to listen forward or reverse chronological order, or increasing or decreasing energeticness (not that that’s a word!) of the music, or progressing age of artists, or collection in alphabetical order etc… I suggest think of a theme and do that wayif for whatever reason you are committed to those specific albums.

1 Like

I think that’s good advice IB. ‘Wherever the mood takes you’ may be the best strategy sometimes :slightly_smiling_face:

Since you asked, Gary Numan and Kraftwerk. And send the rest back.

1 Like

Peas first, because they go cold quicker.

2 Likes

LOL … you realise the Bowie and Dylan hardcore will be sending out a lynch mob? :grinning:

… i tend to do right sock in advance of the veg, then a final flourish with the left sock :grinning:

Given their likely age, they’ll need to come in numbers! Perhaps a bit harsh with Bowie. But at least the Dylan “Ultimate Collection” is likely to be a very short Lp!

2 Likes

I would recommend starting with Lou Reed’s Metal Machine Music to avoid any paranoia about initial burn-in affecting the sound from your new cartridge. After that, any of the above should sound good.

1 Like

I wouldn’t play any of them.

Although they would suitable for running in the cartridge, with the volume turned down. :innocent:

1 Like

I would close my eyes and do a lucky dip :relaxed:

1 Like

Noticed vinyl prices have shot up last few years! LP’s I bought new five years ago have rocketed in price. I bought job lots of old Floyd, Genesis, Zep etc for peanuts … £1-2 a disc, now ten times that in some cases. Is it still on the up?

Carrots with the peas thank you very much. One forks a bit of carrot then loads the fork with peas using the carrot as a shelf.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.