New Year system resolutions?

@suzywong

Congratulations!
I can’t yet imagine giving up work, but my wife is eager for her new life when she quits her job next year.

Hope 2020 brings you joy!

@mickdale

Yes, Lingo 4 v Radikal dem for me I think, in the new year.

Then - the winner vs Fraim :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well done, enjoy retirement.

Retirement rocks! Congratulations and hope you have a ball like me :grinning:

1 Like

My resolution is simple. Do not spend anymore. Just listen to what I have and decide from there in 2-3 years time. But I know the upgrade is pretty simple. 555PS, 300DR, PL and full loom SL. Then is end game and stop. I hope. I really hope that can be end game already. Haha.

“Retirement is where every night is Friday night and every morning is Saturday morning”–best description I ever heard. Enjoy.

1 Like

Good for you! I retire in 3.5 years. I could retire now but I want to add a bit more to my retirement portfolio. At least I now have my system completed. Getting that done before retirement was a goal, and the last piece fell in place a few weeks ago.

1 Like

My boss and company already know that April 1, 2020, is my last day. But I’m looking for my next position. I like what I do too much.

2 Likes

You won’t regret that decision and probably wonder why you didn’t do it years ago!

I think you might find you need less money than you thought - but you do need a weekly plan of activity - this time of the year can be difficult when weather is not at it’s best. Good luck and well done.

1 Like

That is 3.5 years of quality time spent working - you must be completely mad. :smirk:

I bet you’ll find you need less money than you thought. Too many people chase that goal of adding more to the retirement pot when life is far too short to spend time working - you could be enjoying yourself.

3 Likes

There are actually people who enjoy working. It is sad to read that so many people retire and the apparently did not like their job.

1 Like

Yes that is very true.

I used to love my job (mental health nurse) until successive governments, dangerously incompetent managers and soulless bean counters sucked ALL the joy out of it. I took early retirement and haven’t regretted it for a single day.
My wife (consultant physician in a hospital) will be retiring early in 3 years for the same reasons.
Our jobs used to be a real joy to us until they were ruined beyond all recognition. You are right, @Ardbeg10y, in the end we did/do not like our jobs.

3 Likes

@Ardbeg10y

Yep, I’m one of em. My state retirement day came and went. I aim to keep working as long as I enjoy it - a reduction in hours/days maybe ( I could use an extra day or two off ) but…work…love it!

@Graeme
I can understand that. I was a Social Worker and Deputy Manager in Children and Families for over 40 years. My last Local Authority were a sick joke. What saved me was a complete change of career - working now in retail, even at comparatively pittance pay, saved my life.

1 Like

Just listen Music…

I was an accountant in local government and to my personal cost I was too far from soulless. I used to worry so much about the services and how to deal with ever decreasing funds that it made be ill with anxiety. I used to love it when we provided great services and really helped people. By the end it became almost exclusively how to deal with cuts in the least worst way. All very sad. I’d never say that getting knocked of my bike was anything other that a nightmare but at least I escaped the hell of work.

As to 2020 I’m going to try to buy less music. I bought lots this year and want to get to know it better.

2 Likes

I think for many of us that is exactly the problem: we care(d) too much.

Sorry to hear you got knocked off your bike, hope manage to get back on it and recover from your injuries.

I’d like to buy less music and like you, get to know what I bought this year a bit better, but I’m on a roll and feel a need to cross the 2000 cd barrier for some strange hoarding, compulsive collector type of reason. There are worse addictions I’m told :rofl:

2 Likes

Sticking with, enjoying and appreciating the two Naim setups I own.

Reducing my daily work hours from 12 to 8 and spending more quality time with the family and after reading HH post above I aim to do this.

1 Like

Haha, yes, same set of problems. My career change was to house husband, and the pay is lousy! :rofl: Best job ever though!!

1 Like

Thanks Graeme. A brain injury is a bit of a bummer but we’ve got used to it after three years. Now Mrs HH has retired too we are focusing on holidays and generally doing stuff rather than buying stuff. The stereo is more than good enough and at over 3,500 albums that’s more than enough too. My volunteer work with WemsFest keeps me busy and helping to run the concerts and working with the musicians is great fun. Sitting in the pub with people who have made dozens of albums and are world class musicians really puts into perspective why we bother having a Hifi. It’s not to spend endless hours tweaking but is to get lost in the magic of music.

7 Likes