New York visit

The view from Ellis Island looking north - apologies for using Flash
http://www.w9259.co.uk/New%20York/nypan1304.html

use the icons to pan and zoom and maximise the image.

A fascinating visit / experience is to go to the aircraft carrier https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/AircraftCarrierIntrepid.aspx

Flight deck has lots of iconic military planes including the Lockheed A12 SR71 Blackbird

You also get a guided tour of a nuclear submarine berthed alongside
Even my wife was extremely impressed by this visit

visit John Devore and buy an Orangutan O/96 :slight_smile:

Hi Jamie we were there over New Years as my girlfriends family live there . I really enjoyed visiting the Frick Collection on East 70th street , just off Central Park . It’s the former home of an industrialist dripping with fantastic art , just the right size to lose an hour or 2 .

There’s a great Italian indoor market called Eataly near the Flatiron building which is superb , even just to wander around but it’s impossible not to Eat or Drink …
The Frick Collection
1 E 70th St, New York, NY 10021, USA
+1 212-288-0700
https://goo.gl/maps/ErDJNrP6X2BWaLLS8
Eataly NYC Flatiron
200 5th Ave, New York, NY 10010, USA
+1 212-229-2560
https://goo.gl/maps/rvPZLh93Xy1jSQmRA

2 Likes

Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square, Strawberry Fields Memorial in Central Park, Grand Central Station, 96/98 St. Marks Place in East Village - the cover to Led Zeppelin’s “Physical Graffiti” album, The Chelsea Hotel - Sid Vicious stabbed Nancy Spungen there!

1 Like

A visit to the two great retail stores - B&H
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

and the Apple shop

Empire State Building early Sunday morning 8am no queues - bliss and an amazing view.

2 Likes

Hi, I took my son and daughter a couple of years ago, and on friends advice went to Top Of The Rock for the best view of NYC and gave the Empire State Building a miss which worked for us. Also we took a Helicopter trip (by Liberty Helicopter Tours NYC) which really was an amazing once in a lifetime experience. The Harbour Boat tour is another great way to see the city, the buildings and bridges from a different perspective with plenty of interesting historical information from the knowledgeable guide who clearly knew his city. The good thing about the being on the boat or helicopter is that you can get far enough away to get good pictures!

We too did a lot of walking but also opted to take Taxi’s which were reasonable in cost for the 3 of us, and quicker than going down (and back up) to the subway - so more time for ourselves.

As others have said, there are plenty of museums to choose from and it probably is a good idea to research which exhibits are on while you are there.

A Broadway Show is also a must if you are interested, we saw Jim Parsons in ‘An Act of God’ which was hilarious!

Smalls Jazz Club is also highly recommended - I recall we haggled with the guys at the door for entry price as it seemed to be the thing to do!

NOTE - Photos attached are all downsized from the original 6000 x 4000 pixels (at 300 pixels per inch).

1 Like

Good move. You miss the longer queues and you get great views across the city with the Empire State Building as part of the view.

Somewhere boxed up I have a load of old photos that I took from my office, which was on the 103rd floor of the south tower of the WTC. On one particular grey foggy day I got to the 103rd floor (It required 2 elevator rides, changing over in the middle) to find glorious blue skies and below a wonderful white blanket of cloud with just a few of the tallest buildings poking through - the Chrysler building and of course the Empire State Building. Luckily I kept a loaded camera in my briefcase and managed to take lots of photos that morning.

2 Likes

Empire state was empty in January, but it obviously gets crowded, evidenced by the long snaking corrals, ready for the crowds. We loved it. The art-deco interior was as much of a highlight as the view.

I once went to a business meeting high in a skyscraper more-or-less straight across from the Chrysler building. A great view of the chrome-work from the board room we were in.

Here are a couple of pictures taken from the Top of the Rock:

2 Likes

And another from the lower level:

You would not want to miss Peter Luger, they serve the best steaks.

1 Like

Great stuff everyone, thanks very much for your insights and suggestions😊

Some cracking ideas…even retired i cannot spare the 3 or 4 weeks you will need, have a wonderful time, keep us all posted😉

Cheers I will. Have 6 days tho’…

1 Like

Some thoughts for you, Jamie. A New Yorker friend of mine posted this on Facebook yesterday about playing tour guide to visitors from Michigan: “We walked across the 59th Street Bridge, lunched at 300-year-old Fraunces Tavern, toured the American Revolutionary War Museum, rode the Staten Island Ferry, watched the boats go by while sipping cocktails at an outdoor deck on Staten Island, walked Wall Street and watched the tourists line up for miles to touch a bull’s balls, had steak, lobster and, of course, duck at the Peking Duck House on Mott Street in Chinatown, went to reading at KGB Bar, strolled St. Marks and topped it off with bands at Bowery Electric. It is amazing what one can pack into a day when motivated.”

1 Like

Hopefully he was feelin’ groovy.

1 Like

My vote goes to Saxon + Parole @ 316 Bowery. Absolutely fabulous steaks and brilliant cocktails… their Manhattan on tap is memorable.

I hope so. But it’s more likely that he was choking on traffic fumes.