Newbie question: NAC 282 and NAP 300DR direct connection

HCDRs new at £1500 would not have resulted in me getting 2 on my 282.
Both were bought at 6 to 9 months old, ex demo, mint ,boxed etc ( basically new and run in) for less than £950 each.
I had (and still have) no intention of going to a 252 ( although, never listened to one either!).

1 Like

Just checked a Sept20 Naim price list - £1499. Ouch… :expressionless:

My own ‘2nd’ HC, was less than £400, pre-loved, from a Naim dealer, back in 2012. Better… :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep. And I resented paying £450 for a mint/serviced 25 year old olive HC for my 72/140 system at the beginning of the year. But that’s ( or was ) ebay then.

1 Like

Thats not a bad price, surely…? Serviced…? Mine wasn’t.

I was on the same journey couple of years back, I went
282/HCDR/300
282/HCDR/300DR
282/SC/300DR
252/SC/300DR

my plan is to get the SC to DR as some point in 2022, but I am in no rush

for me even SC non DR takes the 282 on to a new level of detail and music, so thats’ worth consideration

252 for me is my end game - enjoy the music and the journey

No it wasn’t really. And I picked it up reasonably locally too. I think the days if olive HCs unserviced being sub £250 is long behind us.
I have seen too many " serviced" by non naim/class A that I’d not pay the money for. Modded/improved/buggered with that is a shame.

I would rather buy ‘un-serviced’ - and then get it done properly - usually by Class A.

Agree. What I did with my other Olive gear.

The HC was sold (with receipt) of a Class A service 18 months before.

As it turns out the guy was only selling to fund his recent Olive SC for his 82. He was selling both his HCs. When I spoke to him a few weeks later he said he wished he had stayed with the 2 HCs as he heard no real improvement with the SC on his 82.

1 Like

?? You mean ‘no’…?

Yes! Fat fingers.

Hi guys. Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice received on this forum. In the end I managed to get a non DR SC2 and I’ve got to say that it’s astounding with the 300Dr and 282. I was always amazed and happy with the old olive hicap,72,140 combo but this was an epiphany. I previously used to read Hifi reviews and wonder if what they were referring to ( musicality, timing, soundstage width) was just a load of pretentious technical speak. Now I know what everyone’s been talking about with all this PRaT stuff.

The problem is now one I listen to anything else just makes me sad….The other problem now is that Spotify which is so much easier to use for me now sounds appreciably worse than tidal or qoboz

Thanks again!

3 Likes

I think most people would be, in a very good way!! Seems rather a pointless reply to me …

Thanks for that. Just my view.
I have Deleted my original post, now.

:+1:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.