Newbie questions (SN3/200/202/282)

I second the 282 its a much better pre than the 202, if the budget is tight how about a used 282 and 200DR, the 200 will power the 282.

Add a HCDR or SCDR later, the SCDR takes the 282 into another league as I found out a few days ago :grin:

3 Likes

I can wholeheartedly recommend the 282/200 pairing but seek out a DR version of the 200 as it’s the DR functionality that powers the 282, unless you have a HC of course.

1 Like

Now that someone suggest Supercap Nac 282, I’d better be first to say go direct for 500 range.
I don’t mention statement.

2 Likes

As you know the 282 is essentially four different pre amps depending on PSU

1. 282 powered by NAP200 or below
  2. 282 1x HC
  3. 282 2x HC
  4. 282 SC

Just illustrating the versatility of the 282

1 Like

I ve just received my new supernait 3 in my new house in al Cairo together with atc scm 19 and everything is in the burn in phase.
My opinion is:
Sn3 is an incredible performances for the price amp
282,hcdr,250dr is totally in another league, it is the only real quantic leap in classic range
Atc scm19 are definitely fantastic with sn3 but not effortless, they would like the additional authority of 250dr

Enjoy!!

1 Like

My experience is that the 202 is not such a good choice against the others you have listed. I would start with the Hicap, 282 with the 200 and then go on from there, missing out the 202 all together. Of course the 250 will give another uplift.

If you prefer a one box system take HH 's advice with the SN3.

2 Likes

Well, I meant Naim newbie. Back in the late 80s I was an engineer at a college radio station, engineered some live bands and recording sessions, and understand most electronics. I started out with an SAE rack-mounted component system, then got tired of all the boxes and wires, so went B&O, which I’ve stuck with ever since. Thus, there is a giant lacuna in my hi-fi stereo knowledge over the last 15-some years as I’ve not followed developments.

Marc

1 Like

Fair enough, Marc. Resonates with my experiences a bit. Only a degree or two of separation between mid-80s Seattle college radio and myself — a bit of a golden era here.

Anyway, after years of progressing from stereo in college through home-AV in the 90s, I was finally in a position to add some used Naim pieces to my AV setup in 2011, simply as an experiment.

My local dealer offered me like 90 days money-back on a used NAC112/NAP150/FC2X/CD5X. He said if I inserted it into my Denon 5.1 system, it would “transform” my KEF Q-50s. I laughed, and took the bet. Never have I been so happily shocked.

Thus motivated, in about 2-3 weeks I learned all the models, current and past (feature-wise), and read a lot of owner testimony here and around the Web.

Next, I borrowed a NAC202/NAPSC for a day, and was immediately impressed, and convinced Naim knows what they are doing; and the used market seemed to agree.

Thus, I can personally recommend the 202 as clearly better than the wonderful NAC112.

That said, I returned the 202 immediately and began saving pennies in case an attractively-priced used 552/500 came along, which it did in about 18 months, almost before I was ready.

What gave me the confidence to go big was witnessing the reliable demand for second-hand Naim pieces, due in no small part to Naim’s legendary support, long product-model production, and fan-devotion to long-discontinued models. It gives a margin of safety few other brands enjoy. McIntosh and Harley Davidson come to mind in the same category.

My point is, I think it is safer to wade in deep with used Naim pieces than with most other brands I have owned/considered. I doubt you will be disappointed, especially with the value for money of pre-loved pieces, which you can trade for different pieces at little loss.

Nick

3 Likes

Checking audiomart, I see there is a 282 (w/ napsc) and 250DR used from two different sellers in my area, total $7400 vs $14.4k new (plus 9% tax). It’s pretty tempting!

1 Like

A lot of people stay at 282 forever — no argument from me.

That is the main demo at most dealers, for good reason.

4 Likes

Buy it. At that price if you decide Naim isn’t for you and you decide to move it on you won’t get killed. Also SN3 can be a bit underpowered for bigger speakers or bigger rooms.
I’d also add that if the sellers are local you could check the gear out before pulling the trigger, and the sellers will probably cut you some money for a local pickup and cash sale. At least I do when selling things.

1 Like

Don’t forget that you’d also need a Hicap DR.

1 Like

Like Halibut sez you’ll want a Hicap and in the US they are expensive

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.