Newby question about old hicap nap 250 setup

I had a conversation with a Naim dealer in my town yesterday and he meant that a o,ive nap250 should’nt run cables longer than 11 meters and it could actually harm the amp. I must say I am really confused and to this point I don’t know what to do honestly. Sell my current setup and invest in so ething modern/ easier like a supernait 3?

That looks very classy. Those old Olive units were lovely pieces of industrial design. Did they ever make it into London’s Museum of Industrial Design that used to be on the South Bank just by Tower Bridge? If not, they certainly should have.

1 Like

From the Naim power amps manual:

1.2 Loudspeaker Cables

Loudspeaker cables are vitally important. They should each be at least 3.5 metres long and of equal length. The recommended maximum is normally 20 metres although longer cables may be viable with some Naim amplifiers.

This applied also with the old CB and Olive NAP250.

1 Like

I had an olive 250 for decades. I used Naim A5 and later TQ Black speaker cable (it’s very like A5 to my ears). The cable run is over 16M. No-one (2 well-known dealers, including one who did a speaker installation) suggested that this would damage my 250 and it didn’t. The guidance from @Richard.Dane may be more impartial than that from this dealer.

2 Likes

I’ve a few runs of 12 metre nac a5 and they work perfect of my Nap 200 and previously Nap 140 and Supernait.

If cost is a matter, you can consider linn k20 too, thats far cheaper and just a bit less perfect as nac a5. I’ve used k20 up to 10 metres worked fine.

Yes, this is what I thought. Ok, then, good to hear this from you :+1:

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, might go the linn k20 way as budget is tight

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.