Newby system build advice

Yes, if you can find one it will do the job. It’s the NAPSC that won’t.

2 Likes

The iSupply would need to be the one for the Stageline, rather than either of the other two versions.

Worth seeking out imo.

Ok so how do I differentiate which i-supply can power the Stageline please ?

You want the i-Supply (S), athough really any should be fine but the others won’t come with the 4-5 interconnect that you’ll need to take signal from the Stageline to the pre-amp.

1 Like

Graham Slee products are excellent, but I have to admit that I haven’t heard one against a Rega PS.

For what it’s worth, my advice would be to change the cartridge or stylus to one of Audio Technica’s Micro Linear options before looking at the phono stage. I did exactly that on advice of my dealer a few years ago and have to say it was one of the best upgrades I’ve made to my system at any price - the extra detail retrieval this small change will make will be eye-opening.

1 Like

I think that would be my advice too, however the TT is new, and the OP doesn’t currently own a phono stage. Under those circumstances, would you partition the budget between stage and cart? In other words, go for a cheaper stage, and upgrade the cartridge at the same time?

I think it depends on timescales and when a cartridge upgrade would be possible if in the short term the budget was maxxed out on the phono stage.

Ah yes, I’d forgotten that small detail! If it were my money I’d do exactly that. I know PS’s are important but I cannot understate how much of a radical upgrade changing the stylus on my cart was. Albums I’d previously written off as in poor condition or badly mastered were rendered a new lease of life so that’s where I’d spend the bulk of my budget. I think the OP will be looking at around £225 for an ML stylus which is most of his budget. However eBay has several Rega Phono Mini’s (a perfectly fine PS) for £110. Upgrading the PS can come later IMHO.

Ok ‘gthack’ I am at a loss to check PS capacitance for the cartridge not being an audiophile.Version i-suppy (S) noted
‘Christopher_M’ thinks its a good match(AT 1 Stageline)
As the cartridge is new I am loathe to replace it immediately considering my limited budget. If the cartridge is amazing and the PS stage is less so then I will not benefit from the cartridge upgrade …whereas I will get the best out of the present cartridge I have with a decent PS.I am not going to become a aficionado of HIFI tweaking as I probably don’t have a good enough ear nor the budget.So save for the cartridge/stylus (advice noted Jonners)I intend to only make changes to power supplies or wiring at the very most. The cheapest best value PS seems to be the Rega Fono mini and Schiit mani 2 but the difference seems to be significant when compared to the Stageline,GS and the Rega fono MK5.Is the micro linear stylus compatible with the AT VMNV95E cartridge ? Thanks

I have seen so many contradictory explanations for powering the Stageline. Somebody give me the undisputed truth please :wink: I can not see looking at the back of my Nait 5i (2010) how it could power the Stageline but i have read several comments saying that the 5i can power it ! whats the truth Naimalumni ?!

The NAIT 5i/5i/5Si can’t power a Stageline.

The original NAIT 5 and its later replacement, the NAIT XS (and subsequent variants) can though via their powered AUX2 input sockets

1 Like

Fair enough on the spec checking. I was encouraged to consider stage:cartridge compatibility after various posters here called out the significance of it to cartridge frequency response.

The AT-VM goes all the way up to a Shibata stylus (£159 for the stylus), AT-VM95SH, so your current cartridge body should be compatible with replacement and interchangeable styli. At least if I read the AT website correctly.

Invest in our Audio-Technica VM95 series of moving magnet stereo turntable cartridges, available with replacement styli. Over time cartridge diamond styli become worn, but our VM95 cartridges can be upgraded by replacing the interchangeable stylus.

FWIW, AT-VM95E:

Recommended Load Capacitance 100-200 pF

Is what you’re looking for from the combination of phono lead and phono stage. Check their specs, their capacitance should be listed (though the cable might be tricky) and you can decide from there, plus reviews, build quality etc etc.

I wouldn’t do anything less than this:

Rothwell Simplex = £300
Audio-Techica VM540ML = £230

Yes - I had a 95 series cartridge with the same eliptical stylus as your current one and I switched it for the ML one which you can buy from Amazon for considerably less than I did.

Or if you feel a bit squeamish about making the swap yourself I’m sure a friendly Rega or AT dealer would do it for you if you bought the ML stylus from them.

I think you’ll find if you do this you’ll be wringing every bit of performance out of the cartridge possible. It’s a really cost-effective upgrade which punches well above it’s weight IMHO.

1 Like

Richard is gonna get you for putting that link to Amazon.

1 Like

Good point - edited out!

1 Like

great ! thank you

I dont know what car you drive but I wouldn’t drive anything less than a Bugatti ;-)))

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.