Next black box: XPS-DR or SuperCap DR

282 without PS is weak. With one HiCap is better, but still not ideal. Two will make the difference. Then question 2HiCaps or SC? HiCaps will give bolder sound, when SC will move 282 towards 252 character. It depends what sound you prefer.
A bit similar with CDX2, 555 will give more, but will make sound a bit gentle compare to XPS.
The best is to find the chance to listen yourself.

You need to update your profile! If you have just the one source with the CDX2 then get an XPSDR or ideally 555PSDR. If you think you maybe going for a 252 later down the line then consider getting the Supercap DR later on or stick with HiCapDR or add an additional HiCap DR if you are sticking with 282.

2 Likes

I have had an 82 for some time now which is similar to the 282 and have had one hicap, then 2 then a Supercap 2. Supercap 2 sounds the best but 2 hicaps gives you more than one. An XPS2 is a very good cheaper option for around £1000 rather than an XPSDR. A Supercap 2 and XPS2 could be a very good option. Non DR but still a very good IMHO

2 Likes

But as you have all DR system I perfectly understand why you would want to continue with that. You will find that a Supercap 2 beats a HCDR though.

1 Like

Just when I decided to stick with my xps dr with the cdx2 I read your comment that the 555ps is better. Doh

Sorry but it is, much better. We preferred CDX2/555PS over CDS3/XPS2. CDS3/555PS unfortunately brings out the best of both combinations.

Back to the OP’s question, we found that both external power supplies absolutely transform the CDX2 for the better. The SCDR really improves the 282 but I’d transform the CDX2 first.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

Power supply to the CD player. Many people enjoyed adding a 555ps to a CDS3 but an XPS2 will also improve the source

True to form, it’s always about a 50/50 call.

I have available light pre-loved units I have offers on, just can’t decide which way to go, but I am sure it will all work out.

1 Like

Not sure the balance of the above posts is 50:50 - more likely 90:10…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.