Next update … prefix to superline?

Thanks Richard

I have experimented a lot with the plugs. No effect. When I switch of the DAC it is silent. As silent as it is with all switched on with the prefix.

Is there a great difference in gain between standard and e version? To be honest … this is also an issue as it is really a problem finding the correct volume. So much easier with prefix s.

As for the run in…
I know the difference, when the boxes must warm up or run in, but here it is a bit different. The bass is really much less prominent and seems even less detailed. I had a track with a cello and it sounds woody with prefix and a bit „electrical“ with SL.
Is this an issue with „olive sound“ vs „black Naim“ sound?

I a bit concerned as with every update it gets better - with a hear in period. But comparing now gives me the feeling that it is better with current setup (prefix)

Additional question

I have now re installed the common setup with prefix.

This is bad as the SL can not run in. Is it possible to let the SL run in, when it is plugged in (sc) but not connected to the TT. Is there a problem as the input goes in the preamp but the Port is open on SL side.
The snaic for prefix is pulled of the SL!

I like to give it some burn in before the next test and would like to hear music in the meantime (prefix via aux 2)

Just leave the Superline powered up. I left mine powered for a couple of weeks before daring to listen properly. I was advised it would make a big difference. It sounded wonderful when I did connect it up and listen properly.

Thanks a lot - you are the best
Is it it possible to run such setup for break in:

• supercap connected via Burndy to SL - SL not connected to TT (open input section)
  • supercap connected to prefix via snaic and connected to nac 52

This double power sounds critical on paper.
Will this be possible or is it burning the whole system?

No, you can’t have theSupercap powering both items at the same time. You’ll impair overall performance andpotentially stress regulators, which should be avoided.

My superline sits directly above my ND555, which I’m using wireless and I hear no ill effects.
When I first got it I used to hear voices, mostly in Russian, but they went away when I replaced the steel framed rack with Fraim. Earthing the steel rack had minimal effect, as did swapping the system to the other side of the room, a 1nF plug reduced the voices to a level where they didn’t intrude and a 470pF plug was nearly as good without the slight dulling effect on the music.
I do remember my exdemo superline changed its sound over a couple of weeks when first I had it, enough that my choice of loading plugs changed, but I was using AUX2 power for the first time too.

Thanks a lot.
Had done hard work today - my back hurts from re-stacking Fraim… not a job I would say I live a lot :wink:
Humming appeared when DAC is turned on - even with SL far away.
Humming is also present, when DAC is only on power - no cables connected.

At the end I had the following result…

• no psu can be nearby / under SL —> with one Fraim free underneath it is fine.
  • no psu can be under nac 52 - that’s new —> with one Fraim free it fine

This is strange - it was a double feature.
I put my tuner and an unused 250 (power off) in the free space - but it is bad, that I can not use the expensive space, which I need very much.
HDX and P3PS went outside Fraim ready to be picked up by forthcoming quadraspire rack. I will test SL in quadraspire as well.
Simple putting in near p3ps under supercap, which was my first idea is blown with the wind.

I also had some radio Moscow issues today. When I fitted ground wire to SL (must have forgotten it) radio went silent.

Anyone some ideas on the results of humming search?

Now I will Give SL a Chance. The bass is there! It is much more direct, make fun to hear, when a lot is happening in the music. But also had some stressing moments when woman’s voices crawl to deep in my ear.

With no cap plug, it is very open, but too much for me today. Took 1nf and 500 (near k load). 4,7 nf is fine too - a bit less open.
Will try 1k resistance…

Good night

Ah, that’s interesting. Didn’t realize that until you just pointed it out. When I got my first Stageline, it was an “E” and the gain was too low for my Lyra Argo medium output MC cartridge (0.45mV). I swapped it out for a “K” and everything was perfect. I see the difference in sensitivity for the Superline “E” vs “K”, as you say, is smaller than the difference between the Stageline “E” vs “K”.

I don’t recall seeing which DAC you use, as it’s the thing that is upsetting the superline please tell.

A naim system should have its signal earth (ground) connected to the house earth only once. In the black series this is usually done in a Naim CD player, Naim streamer or Naim DAC. The cases of Naim gear always have a safety earth, the streamers and DAC have a switch to disconnect the signal earth from safety earth if a Naim CD player is also connected.
The hum can be from having no signal earth connection or too many, if your DAC is a Naim one look on the back beneath the RCA sockets for a switch to select between chassis and ground.

If the DAC isn’t providing a signal earth connection to house earth and there isn’t one at the turntable you need to provide one.

If both DAC and turntable are providing a signal earth to house earth you need to remove one of these connections.

I don’t know what was done about signal earth before CD players, (@Richard.Dane? ) Naim released their first CD player 2 years after the 52.

Thanks!
It is the Naim DAC. The source is hdx/dac/xps.
I checked the switches yesterday. The DAC is ground and HDx floating.
The tt is grounded too, when removed there is noch change in hum - only radio voices appear.
It is also not only the DAC. Every psu (tried different combinations) coming near SL or 52 will cause the hum. And for all it’s the Same - a simple power on will be enough. I do not need to put cables in to cause the hum.

and with the DAC floating?

Same issue… (but I am not sure if I also switched the hdx to chassis yesterday when testing it). it’s independent from the DAC. Every psu near 52 is critical. DAC even more, maybe because of different digital psu.
Strange is, that in former setup (prefix in tt) there was no issue. DAC was underneath 52 and no hum.

I think it’s time to have your dealer come and assess the problem and provide a solution to your satisfaction.

As I have found a solution (putting away the boxes) this might be difficult to realize.
Now everything is silent but with 2 dead spaces in my rack.
How to you stack your Fraim - is it so unusual, that here must be a free space?

Dealer has another SL and he suggested, that I try his one n comparison. Think that’s the next step.

Thought that it is usual, that SL and psu must be far away. But for the 52 it is Strange… that’s correct.

I have on the left.

Artemis SA-1 turntable with Schröder Reference arm and SPU Royal N cartridge.
NAC 552.
superline and stageline N.
ND555.
NAP 500.
empty shelf

On the right

Townshend Rock mk2 turntable with Aro and Decca Maroon mono cartridge.
power supplies for both turntables.
500ps.
555ps.
552ps.
supercap.

There is a slight hum when I switch to the Decca/stageline but that’s par for a Decca and down to connecting both channel’s return cables in the cartridge. It’s not at a level that’s problematic so I live with it rather than leave one wire dangling from the Aro.

The empty shelf at the bottom left is to lift cables off the floor.

I don’t use Fraim or SL drago. I do like Naim phono stages but always found them open to noise in my home. As I use an LP12 it made sense to get a Urika instead. Hopefully the N version will provide your solution.

Drago, in this picture you can see where I have the Superline sited, just below the NAC552, albeit spaced using intermediate legs;

3 Likes

Thank you all!
This is my intermediate setup.
I could not place another Fraim to the right as the AVR needs to be placed. Therefore I have ordered quadraspire.
With psu underneath SL there is a hum - the 250 I have placed now is offline as a spacer.
With psu underneath 52 (e.g. DAC or …) there is also a hum.
By chance I could try SL under TT and 52 underneath … free Space and… DAC or SC. So there will be one space gained on the left. Will also try to put SL in quadraspire… (it’s ordered but will take some time… )
The high tower on the left should be an intermediate solution… had a spare fraim

5 Likes

Humming, make sure your cell phone is out of the area. Even with the Rf mode done to my prefix when it gets close it hums. Anyway….

Yes, I know. But that’s a different kind of humming. Cellphone is away !