Next Upgrade? 135 to 500?

I wouldn’t be too worried about servicing if the 500 is sounding good. Mine is over 15 years old and sounding the best I’ve heard it. It really is a head and shoulders above the already fantastic 135’s.

3 Likes

In your shoes I would save the budget for the NAC552

1 Like

I suspect that you probably typed ‘upgraditis’, and your computer has devised a new word for you!

Too bad that I can get both 500 and 552 for a reasonable price.
But … as I had the superline moment where my „olive brain or gut feeling“ came into place I should listen first
There is a possibility that I like olive more than full 500 ;0)

1 Like

In my humble opinion, a 500 (non DR) is outstanding VFM. Hard to think what might better it.

3 Likes

This is the point… if it is a good reseller, I would give it a try.
But (if I do not like it for wahr reason ever) re-selling is more complicated as the market for the more expensive is smaller

1 Like

The superline was in many ways also better (resolution!! ) than my prefix.
But at the end the prefix on supercap steroids is so rough an a fine match to all my equipment

Until now I preferred my sound at home and evertime I heared a 500 series at a dealers place, I was more happy with olive.
Maybe it is in my personality that I am not good with changes.

That’s why I initially thought that the 500 is a bit olive!

1 Like

Like @HiFiman I upgraded from a 300 to 500. It was a big step up.

I’ve never heard 135’s but my research led me to believe the 300 improved on a very highly thought of 135.

As I recall the consensus was that the 135 has more punch but the 300 has more finesse and control.

I think you’ll find the 500 has both in spades

1 Like

A 500 DR :smirk::wink::thinking:

Finesse vs punch like opera house against blues club full of smoke.
This describes it very good.
I like this kind of roughness very much.

I currently listening to deichkind (Hamburg band) … perfect on olive even with all electronic

I am not completely through with 500 idea - price is good and … it must be a perfect amp

I was on about VFM. I think I can rest easy on that one…

Not too sure really. With servicing costed in as well. Maybe a newer DR version would be better. A non DR version would more likely need a service

I have similar dilemnas coming up. I have 2 serviced lovely 135s. Have an 82 and Supercap 2. Thinking of getting a 552DR or 52. Other option is 52 and 500 non DR. I’m going to keep my Focal Aria 936 speakers. They are really good.

My amplification is excellent although the 82 could be improved upon.

Another part of me thinks go 52 and 300DR and Supercap DR.

So many options. Bottom line is I am taking my pension lump sum and there is not enough to do everything. I will have to limit myself to £8000 to £10000 for hifi upgrades. With trade in of 82 and Supercap 2 I reckon I can get a 552. Or trade in the 82 and 135s and get a 52 300DR set up.

End game ? Would love 552DR and 500DR. But that is probably beyond affordability. Some compromise is necessary.

And that doesn’t withstand Radikal for LP12 :joy:

Or stay put and enjoy the music.

3 Likes

Very good points @ Debs. With a 52 I would be top of the Olive tree bar a 4 or 6 pack.

1 Like

I don’t know if it helps or is news but…

I had olive 82/SC/250 (also SL/HC) for a long time and heard many other boxes over the years.

The key upgrade was getting a 52. I’d always expected to do that one day, but I’d also expected to get 135s. Instead, I was advised to hear a 300DR to drive my B&W 804 D3s - which turned out to be right.

For me, 300DR beat 135s (and beat 250 by more). However, 52 replacing 82 was a bigger step (mainly for natural feel, control/ grip, the sense of space and detail) than 250 turning into 300DR, Kore turning onto Keel, Lingo 4 turning into Radikal or Cirkus turning into Karousel.

Of course going straight to 52/500 would be an even bigger step.

My impression is that others hear have reached similar pro-52 conclusions.

The 82/HC250 haven’t stopped being good of course. They are now in Tasmania with ND5XS2 and Core and Xplorers.

Your ears may differ…

4 Likes

A lovely pro 52 viewpoint. It will be cheaper and no doubt a good move to get a 52. Nothing will be lost. A 300DR is interesting move with it as well. So question is why not a Supercap DR to go with 52? Or why 300DR vs 300 with 52. It’s an interesting one mixing non DR, olive and classic.

2 Likes

Same (luxurious) situation :grin:
82 to 52 is huge.
Had a 72 before and did not trade it for 82. but 52 had done it!

Now mine is fully serviced last year (as one channel broke down) and this gave another huge step.

You should try a 52… and after that enjoy.
If you would like to trade, a 52 will be fine as there is a good market for it.
135 against 500… that’s what I am thinking too

2 Likes

Supercap dr with 52 could be difficult- read about some people are not happy with it.
Go for 52 and supercap (olive) - send then for a service if necessary!

135 vs 300 should be sideways… 500 is the way. Here we are again :grin:

1 Like

I think I’d keep my Supercap 2 and get it serviced. It’s immaculate and sounds great. I have XPS2 with CDS2. I don’t think there’s an issue with Olive and Classic boxes. Perhaps Olive with DR is different. Perhaps agree on that. If I got 52 would get that serviced and maybe look at 500 non DR.

1 Like