Next Upgrade Recommendations?

I would go for an 82 and a 250. Maybe get an olive 250 to match the 82. You have the hicap already. You will be able to do these uogrades at a low price and then get the units serviced.

I think 82, Hicap, 250 will sound better than a classic 202 hicap 200 system.

Or keep the 200 for now and get a 282 if you want the current style boxes.

Don’t underestimate how good the olive and chrome bumpet gear is and how good value it is.

Best of luck.

1 Like

The OPs profile suggests he’s ordered an SN3…
If UK based, trading the XS for a (preloved?) 282 would have been my suggestion…

Another vote for a 282, then look at your sources, then a 250 or even a 300 … funds allowing of course. Don’t be afraid of going for ex demo or second hand from a reputable dealer. Virtually all of my system was built that way.

3 Likes

My thoughts as well. I’m in a very happy place right now but I have a feeling 2023 will refresh the classic series as well. Availability of said updated lineup is what I fear the most . :slight_smile:

1 Like

He mean to say, Authorized Dealer.

1 Like

Sell 200 and use PS only for intergated. Then go for 252/250 or something new if launched.

I would strongly disagree with that! For me the 200 is quite capable of holding its own in many Naim systems. It has a very different presentation to the 250.
The 250 is technically better, as you would expect at double the price, and has a more muscular sound that many will prefer. The 200 has a lighter touch, and some have even preferred it. I ran mine with NDX/282 for a few years, and with speakers that are not too demanding its a combination that’s very easy to live with.

4 Likes

Whole heartedly agree with you on the 200 ChrisSU

And following the Naim principle preamp first so the 282

The 282/200 is a great combo especially with the addition of a hicapdr

1 Like

Love my 202/200 combo.
A very capable amplifier!

2 Likes

It’s a good question as having a Nait as a Pre or a Nap for that matter is never a good idea long term so that is where you should spend your money.

Also if you have room you might consider trading in your speakers and subwoofers for a set of sympathetic floor standers.

The 202/200 is a much underrated amp on this forum add a Napsc and a Hicap and you have an amp to keep and forget about.

1 Like

Have all four and quite happy😊

1 Like

If you want things to get better, you have to start at the source first. So I would replace (urgently) the Thorens with a Linn LP12 with Radikal or Mober DC Motor Kit or a good quality direct drive turntable like Technics SL-1500c.

Hmm, sorry but from a technical perspective any TD-150 only barely meets the radio broadcasting standards of the 1960s. With development that the BBC took in the end of 70s towards direct drive units like Technics SP-10 MK2a, a TD-150 falls totally apart.

That may depend on whether you mean in relation to specs like speed accuracy or a ikity to play well. It is not without coincidence that Linn used essentially the same design. And the main bearing of the TD150 was exemplary, still with no play or other discernible wear after many 1000s of hours play. However I am not arguing that there aren’t better TTs today, just pointing out it was a particular gem and the fact that it is old doesn’t alter that, though if the OP wants better then I’m sure that is very possible - but at a very significant cost yet still have the limitations of vinyl.

Yeah, I don’t know what the bigger disappointment was for me, the 200 or the SN1. Big let downs.

I bought the 200 based on comments I read on the old forum. Back then I hadn’t yet learned that opinions on SQ are highly variable. And I hadn’t figured out which comments to ignore and which to pay attention to. I was anxious to move on from my SN1 so I got a 200 to use with it expecting to get a 282 next. The 200 only slightly improved the very disappointing SN1. I was so anxious to move on I ended up buying a 252 since I wasn’t seeing any s/h 282 at the time. Prior to the 252, I was using a HC2 with the SN1 that I had upgraded to a SC2 so it was an easy move. Except it sounded like crap. Bright, not much warmth and little depth. Luckily a 250.2 materialized and I was back where I needed to be. I had got on really well with the 72/HC/250 prior to that. And I home demoed a 102/180 before going the 72 route years earlier. For me, the 102,180,202,200, are just forgettable. That said, I’m glad people like them b/c I want Naim to have a product line that’s successful even if it doesn’t work for me.

2 Likes

Just because something has similar features doesn’t make it the same design. With WOW&Flutter at 0,08%, signal to noise ratio at 46db the TD-150 is a 60s design and performer. Today LP12 with Radikal achieves something around 0,035% and S/N ratio at 78 dB or more when also equipped with Keel and Trampolin II. But there´s always been a hughe difference in design and function between TD-150 and LP12. Even between an Ariston RD-11 and an LP12 there are very clear differences, although they come from the same pen.

The LP12 has always been better than others because of the much smoother running PEEK material in the platter bearing. The LP12 has always been of better build quality and assembled with more love than the others.

Funny story: modern Thorens barely equal up to their vintage sisters and brothers but aren´t any better than 70s and early 80s specs. Most todays mid-class TT are much much worse either (Project Debut Carbon 0,15%, Rega P3 0.09%, Pro-ject RPM 9.1 0.08%). If the same quality level as with digital formats shall be achieved you need to go for something like Technics SP-10 MKII, SP-15, SP-10r, SL-1200GR or SL-1500c, Pioneer P-70LII, P-10, Onkyo PX-100m, Denon DP-80, DP-6000, DP-7000, DP-100m, Teac TN-400 Magnefloat

1 Like

Looking at your system the obvious weak link is the streamer, that’s where I would start.

The preamp too….

2 Likes

I’m going to be forthright here so apologies but that is absolute tosh and should be ignored. The 200 was a mighty fine power amp which for many years I used without HC or SC with my 282 for many years.

Sorry!

2 Likes