Next upgrade step?

It’s true. The 555 is a much bigger improvement. But if one doesn’t have the cash it’s irrelevant.

1 Like

It is, but my original point in post 8 was that adding an XPSDR was a bit underwhelming, so our friend here should try to audition an XPS to see whether it’s worth spending that money rather than going down a different upgrade path.

1 Like

When I added an XPSDR to my 272 I did it without prior audition and was delighted with the improvement in the sound. Everyone is different and one person’s delight may be another’s disappointment, so it’s always sensible to have an extended audition. Regarding the 555DR, I’ve said before that the improvement from 272/XPS to 272/555 is much greater than that from 272 to 272/XPS. I bought my 555 new and I don’t know what they cost used and you don’t see that many around; maybe they are cheaper than I think and that with a bit more saving it may be possible for the OP. Of course, if someone is stretching for that setup the power amp, speakers, supports etc all need to be of sufficient standard to enable the benefits to be realised.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.