Nightwish - Birmingham'21 and beyond

Maybe you need more Floor…?

Evolution of Floor Jansen

Ok, so Nightwish fans know that Floor can sing operatically - say when singing a Tarja era NW song. And she can do Phantom of the Opera, with Henk Poort.

But ever seen her do actual opera…? Here you go… A bit of Puccini. From 2013.

1 Like

If anybody is interested here is a reaction / analysis from a professional opera singer…

Portimenti anyone? :smiley:

1 Like

And now for something completely different

One of the reactors a couple of hours ago released a video talking about Amaranthe with Annette in 2008
(sorry but IMO don’t bother I can see why the NW army aren’t too complementary about her live but love the studio albums.)

However, reading the comments on that led me to this, A song Tuomas wrote especially for Annette, WOW, Nightwish does Jazz (with a rock tinged Emmpu solo).

Nightwish -Slow Love Slow at Montreaux Jazz Festival 2012

1 Like

OK, it’s not often I swear, but F*!k me,
Floor just does it better, 1930’s Jazz Club anyone

1 Like

You beat me to posting it… (I knew it was there, but you found it quicker than me…)

Its that Dutch woman… Again…!!

She is sooo good… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It would be interesting to put that on the Jazz thread and see what they make of it (Tin hat on)

1 Like

Go on then… Risk it…
Lols… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Floor only did 1 year of Opera study (according to Wikipedia).

Imagine … If she tried a bit harder… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah, but some tall hippy dude tempted her to the dark side.

“Arjen explains: Floor has a bright future ahead. Not only does she sing well, she has a great appearance and a lot of charisma on stage. Hans van Vuuren of the Transmission label had just signed After Forever and asked me whether I could use her voice on my CD. After listening to her demos, I wasn’t quite convinced, but decided to give her a chance. Once I had worked with her, I knew it wouldn’t be the last time. Though Floor can sing very high and has an opera-like voice, I wanted to use her voice very differently on ‘My House of Mars’. Despite the fact that it appears as if she is a trained singer, she actually sings on feeling. I never tell her what to do, and let her do her own thing. That is how very original melodies are created. On Star One she had a lot of ideas for the harmonies, and during the live tour she also did a few lead vocal parts.”

2 Likes

“I also had the chance to study. I did 4 years of rock academy, a new study back in 1999 for pop and rock music. While I was doing that I was already taken lessons at the music theater academy. I enjoyed it so much after my graduation I did 1 more year after that, but I became busy with After Forever so I couldn’t do it full time. I was about 24 at the time my operatic voice grew and I decided to do 1 more year of opera as a part-time study.”

From - Interview - Floor Jansen - Sept 2013 - so she had just joined Nightwish as stand in for Anette.

PS. The Tall, Hippy Dude has brought many great, relatively little known singers & musicians to the fore, in his various projects. And he is still doing it…!!

Quite a spectacular song that, surprised me when I first heard it on vinyl having not listened to the album before.

2 Likes

I did…

There’s now a mini discussion on what jazz is😀

1 Like

You tried… Pah…!!!

(Another former Clarinet player here… :slightly_smiling_face:
Now learning Guitar… :grimacing: )

Amazing how paths cross.
Started out with classical guitar, (grade 3) but never tried electric.
Moved on briefly to cornet with my uncle’s colliery band instrument.
Found my home with clarinet (grade 8), still got them but haven’t played for 30 odd years I keep thinking I should but I know how ‘good’ I was and I looked at a piece of sheet music the other day and thought where the hell do I start with this.

Discovered mutual liking for Nightwish and Ayreon amongst other

1 Like

I got to Grade 5 with the Clarinet. The Mozart Concerto was one of the set pieces, I recall.
I still have my instrument, but do not play it.

My Guitar playing is mainly Electric - and - I am about to start taking Grade exams…!!
My teacher suggested that I go for the ‘easy’ Grade 2, as a start. The exam should be later this year.

Back to Nightwish… Floor used to play Flute.

1 Like

Good luck with the exams

1 Like

This could have gone in the “What made you laugh today thread” but imho it would be better appreciated here…

2 reactors have today released a discussion on Everdream one has watched it one hasnt but has done a few NW songs

After a few seconds of vocals the newbie commented…
There is no escaping Floors control once she gets a grasp on you she speaks to your soul, you’re hers, you belong to her…she gets you she holds you but it has this guilelessness to it, the innocence of
I’m gonna push you down the stairs
Walk to the bottom
Pick you
Kiss you
Then pushes you down another flight of stairs

Later on after Empu’s guitar solo he says…

“Empus solos bend to the attitude of the song and us the listeners barely hear it, it’s this real subtle thing he able to do - and he’s laughing about it”
“He has what in country music is the ‘Aw Shucks problem’ the Aw Shucks problem is Roy Clark, Ry Cooder Jerry Reed when you watch them play they’re just sitting there with a dopey look on their face like oh shucks… then you actually watch what they’re doing and you’re like “Oh my God that is incredible.””
Empu is this little Puck like sprite who just kind of gets up there, he’s goofing off, unplugging peoples in ear monitors and he creates the illusion that what he does on that guitar is no big deal… but it is a big deal.

Anyway sorry for long rambling post but those comments made me chuckle- I wouldn’t bother listening to the rest of the 1hr 6min video it rambles on a bit

1 Like

Would that be from Just Jen Reacts…? Its over 1 hour long… WT? - ???

I think the Newbie must have swallowed a very big dictionary…
What rubbish… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Yep Just Jen react together with Eric Clark (The Wyldeside) he of US rock radio heritage - normally I quite like his analyses.

As I say don’t bother listening to it there’s about 10 minutes of music and the other hour is just rambling with JJ gushing as to how NW changed her life

The other comedy moment comes about half way through when he starts to shuffle JJ picks him up on it and his reply is “ Ive got a kid to pick up from school” so even he was bored

1 Like