Nightwish - Birmingham'21 and beyond

Another poor Vocal Coach hasn’t heard Nightwish at all - and starts with Ghost Love Score… :astonished:

(This quite a old recording, from the Imaginaerum tour - when I believe, Floor was still a hired hand, standing in for Annette…?? )

1 Like

He’s sceptical initially but I love the fact he enjoys Empu’s drumming - so many of these reviews only focus on the vocsalist.

Also likethe fact he rarely pauses and adds infrequent live comments.

Empu (Vuorinen) is the guitarist… :blush:

In this case, the drummer is Jukka Nevalainen, who later stood down and was replaced by Kai Hahto, from another Finnish band, Winter Sun.

Winter Sun’s bass player, Jukka Koskinen, has recently taken over from Marko Heitala, as touring bass player.

1 Like

Ah yes, thought I might have got the name wrong when I posted.

1 Like

I know the original purpose of this thread was to discuss the cancellation of the NW UK tour but it has morphed into a more general discussion on NW.

I’m not sure whether this warrants a new thread in its own right I’ll let the OP @IanRobertM decide so here goes…

There a number of YT reactors / analysts which I regularly watch, not those who sit and watch a video then use a generic “wow, that was good” type comment but rather those that genuinely bring something else to the party- vocal analysis, musical analysis, commentary on production values, instrumentation etc
People like The Charismatic Voice, Julia Nillon, The Wyldeside, Tank the Tech, Wings of Pegasus.

TanktheTech has worked in the music industry as a Roadie, Guitar Tech, Merchandising, Assistant and Tour Management and when COVID stopped tours he started a YT channel and as part of that ‘journey’ he started with GLScore and fell in love with NW to the extent of having Nightwish Wednesday and some 30 NW vids later I feel he has sufficient experience

Earlier this evening he posted this

It’s an interesting watch and has made me think a little bit more about YT, current copyright legislation and unfortunately NIghtwish (the band not the music)

Yes It could be viewed as a rant about personal finances but there are wider questions raised.

1 Like

Its fine… But I have just revised the Title of the Thread to reflect the reality.

Now to watch the YouTube vid you have linked…

1 Like

Hows The Heart… Acoustic - from 22nd April’22 at Tampere - just Floor & Troy…

2 Likes

7 Days to the Wolves - again from 22nd April’22 at Tampere - full band:

Apparently, Floor had the Flu… :astonished:

1 Like

There have been many many comments on YT videos along the lines of “Floor could sing the phone book…”

So, she does

1 Like

Is it possible to have… Too Much… Nightwish…? Nah…

Dark Chest of Wonders - Live @ Ice Hall, Helsinki 24.4.2022

1 Like

This is not a great YouTube video - hand held smart phone, from the front row…

But… its by one of the Vocal Coaches - who actually went to SEE Nightwish just a few days ago…!!!

“Ghost Love Score” NYC, USA - 8th May’22

Getting increasingly more careful with that famous final note!
Fabulous performance from our Valkyrie goddess.

1 Like

I really don’t think its a problem for her. Its clearly within her range - and I have read that higher notes actually take less effort - as less air is needed…?

More precise - more consistent - would make sense, though… Even for a Valkyrie… :astonished:

1 Like

In a reply to a posting I made about Morgan James HappyListener replied about the reaction channel pygmies v Elizabeth at TCV

The good microchips in the YT algorithm suggested this to me posted a couple of days ago a great bit of editing of NW pygmies by the channel owner. Although having said that there is one giant amongst them

5 Likes

Just in - from Ticketmaster - ony 6 months left now…

Nightwish - Birmingham - 22nd November 2022… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sleeping Sun - Live @ Rockfest, Hyvinkää 2.June.2022

3 Likes

@VinoVeritas, interested to hear who you think is a giant among these guys? I’ve recognised several of them and have my own idea, but let’s hear it from you?
In any case, you make your point well. Most of them have nothing to say of interest.

Of those featured in the YT video
Most in my opinion have / are using GL Score as a means to boost YT numbers with the odd interesting comment but mostly Wow, Stunning and other similar declarations.

A couple do bring something to the party but long term over a number of artists and videos my interest has waned

Doug Helvering - a composer who can on occasions talk usefully but he annoys me when he moved on to reciting chord progressions and playing along.

Mr Rock and Roll - nothing mind blowing but worth it for for the sheer enjoyment. See further up this thread for him

Kardavox - seems to have dropped out of my radar recently but as a vocal coach in ‘metal’ he does have something useful to say.

My go to analysts

The Wyldside with Eric Clark - He has worked within US commercial radio for many years and seems to have a almost encyclopaedic knowledge of music and I’ve been down many rabbit holes after he says things like “I’m getting The Nice or ELO or Judas Priest” after a passage of music and his insights into the music industry are quite interesting.

Tank The Tech brings instrument / gear descriptions to the discussion as well as what appears a genuine love of music.

But for me my absolute favourite is Elizabeth Zharoff at The Charismatic Voice - a real opera singer whose progression through for her a completely new world of music has been almost as interesting as her analyses. She both reacts and analyses.
She doesn’t feature in the above video as her reaction was to the very early South American version of GLS.

Other with honourable mentions Julia Nilon and Beth Roars

The “giant” well there was one who didn’t really react in the traditional sense - no wows, no analysis and she made the reaction channel faux pas of interrupting the solo😃 but for me you could see the “that was well done” moment.
Our Valkyrie Queen FJ

( Sorry @jejese1 I miss interpreted your post but I’d written this and I wasn’t going to delete it!)

1 Like

@Richard.Dane
Sorry if I’ve broken the rules just repeating previously used terminology

For me, the Trash Talkers win 1st prize with the comment ‘she can sing’.

The libel and defamation laws prevent me recording comments on many of the other parties involved.

3 Likes