No Television

From the late 1990s to around 2010 I was too busy working to watch any tv - apart from the odd afternoon sit down with a cup of tea and Countdown.
If anyone asked me about anything on trend at that time, I was totally clueless. And, what was on trend seemed a bit moronic - so I never felt the worse for it.
Although these days TV tech has come a long way since then, along with prices getting so much lower - along with content being so much more richer.
I really think one is doing a disservice to oneself by not having a whopping great big telly in the house. :star_struck:
Black Friday deals everywhere right now.

I like this forum because it’s a bit like chatting over a glass of water at the water cooler, sitting in the canteen or making a beverage; TV programmes used to dominate those discussions at my places of work. Now this forum has a wider scope for discussion, but TV keeps appearing.

1 Like

You just did.

3 Likes

Make? Model? Value? It’s nice, that’s all. Other than that no-one knows anything about it.

I would love to have a job as that high rolling chief executive who decides what everyone should be watching post COVID-19…

Your posts suggest it is expensive.

You can infer that. It’s not, but I think it’s nice.

I don’t have a watch.

I hope it’s not smug of me to say that.

I don’t have a smartphone, either.

2 Likes

Amen brother !
Bragging and virtue signalling seems to be the order of the day with many here.
Luckily, not all.

1 Like

IMHO. When they need to post and tell everyone about it , yes.

It’s not necessarily a bragging thing (at least not for most), or a vehicle for members to appear smug. I think it’s just about members sharing their enthusiasm for things other than the main items of music and hifi that brought them here, whether it be what they’re driving, what they drinking, what they collect etc… And it certainly doesn’t have to be expensive to be really interesting. It’s what makes this kind of forum tick and something that many find interesting. If you don’t find it interesting then that’s fine too, as there are plenty of other topics that will hopefully offer something to everybody.

11 Likes

I think there is actually too much content to watch now - you can’t watch everything and perhaps I prejudge things but I know very early on if I enjoy something or not.

For me, Game of Thrones was superb early on, for many reasons, but primarily because it had sublime acting mostly from British actors/actresses.

There is something about historical/mythical type genres where British accents just work whereas US ones for example don’t, or at least not in the same way. I may sound like a snob but it’s what I find. I also find historical shows/movies with a clear diversity agenda gone mad to be tedious - casting just seems so out of place, either that or I’m stuck in the past and only enjoy what I used to like.

I’m sure there are many clever, popular, thought provoking productions around but just because they are acclaimed productions it doesn’t mean they’ll be universally enjoyed.

I frankly got bored with Breaking Bad after a couple of episodes, maybe I didn’t give it time but I couldn’t be bothered.

We’ve probably never had so many varied quality productions as we do these days, but if they don’t grab your interest it matters little.

I think I’m a bit sad as I’d rather enjoy some old favoruites again and again than endure modern shows that don’t enthuse me.

Not smug at all.

I have a couple nice watches but don’t wear them unless I am told to. And I held off smartphones until a decade after they appeared simply because my job mandated it. Mrs. FZ is driven nuts but the fact I leave the house without a phone if I think I’ll be gone less than 2 hours.

There are a lot of things that are incrementally very simple but added up all complicate one’s life greatly. For every device that simplifies and saves time, there are three that don’t and just add more physical and mental clutter.

2 Likes

My wife and I watch a bit of TV almost every evening. We try to stay away from what we consider the crap shows. Almost never, lawyer, cop, and forensic shows. The last thing I want to do is watch someone just doing their job. I don’t get why people’s basic jobs are so fascinating to some.
But I must be a bit odd considering the plethora of detective books that get published.

When I’ve lived alone it’s mostly been without a TV but whenever I’ve shared a house with a partner, or even a lodger, we’ve ended up with a telly. I used to read more without one.
Game of Thrones was a good book, I must find the rest of the series some time, though I gather it isn’t finished, unlike the TV series, so I might wait until it is.

Except Columbo!

2 Likes

Well, of course! He’s a classic.

2 Likes

Streaming/ripping music comes to mind, my partner has stopped listening to any music because to her it’s way too difficult…and it is…especially when networks play up. My Mu-so and TV have all developed minds of their own this week. All turning on…and occassionally off as they see fit. Since yesterday all back to normal and I didn’t touch anything.

I don’t think having to use ‘an app’ to select and then play music and, potentially, control the volume helps.

1 Like

That said Mrs AC is quite adept at asking Alexa or Siri to play some pop playlist when she’s pottering around/ironing etc - I think she just enjoys a mixture of music and for decades has never been an album person.