Noise on the phone stage of my 82

So problem identified by Darran……it’s because I use the mains as an Ethernet/internet connection.
I use the Devolo magics system.
Nothing much I can do about it apparently….

1 Like

Interesting. You mentioned you didn’t have these further up the thread so the noise now makes more sense. If you can get rid and hardwire an Ethernet connection then that will certainly help.

Ethernet over mains devices can cause hifi havoc. Is there any way you can get rid of them and find a different solution?

3 Likes

Difficult as the router is in a different room. So I would have to run a cable from the router to the streamer……and then to my Mac and then to my sons PC upstairs……

Yes sorry I missed that….:roll_eyes:

If running a long cable is tricky, how about using a wireless access point?

I have done this using an Airport Express and it works just fine and no nasty mains issues.

1 Like

Yes ok good idea. Will give it some thought.
So if I converted my wall socket Devolo things to the Wi-Fi version would this work?

You should ideally get rid of all the Devolo stuff as even just one of them at the far end of your house can cause problems for your hifi or other networked equipment.
A conventional wired network using Cat5e cable run around the house with the odd switch where you need to attach multiple devices is nearly always the cheapest and most reliable option. It’s just the disruption of running cables that puts some people off.
If you can’t manage that, WiFi can he a reliable option, with the possibility of wiring some devices directly to one of the WiFi extenders if necessary. Apple’s Airport devices were a great option, but they are dated now and a modern Mesh setup would be my choice. Still, an old Airport Express as Richard suggests can be a good solution for very little money.

2 Likes

Yes I think I am coming round to that view.
The streamer does see the Sky Wi-Fi router so perhaps just use that. There is a slight improvement in SQ using the Ethernet but if that means no vinyl it’s not worth the trade off……
Might just kick off by removing the devolo from room the hifi is in. The devolo has been in for some time and while I do notice a slight interference it’s still listenable on the phono stage, it’s since adding another devolo into the same circuit as the hifi that’s it’s become much more pronounced, so will try taking that out first and see what it’s like.
Thanks for the input everyone…. Very helpful as usual.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.