Noisy speakers when SN3 is turned on

Which one would you recommend?
Thanx

That would depend on budget.

My obvious recommendation would be for a secondhand Naim DAC; it may be a bit over your budget, but itā€™s definitely a great digital front end for your Supernait.

At the other end of the scale you have a DAC like the Arcam IRDAC, which can be found for not so much money these days - thatā€™s probably the minimum level you should aim for here.

In between you have more great value secondhand buys, like the excellent Rega DAC-R, the diminutive Chord Mojo and its bigger brother, the Hugo.

Just a few options to consider.

2 Likes

Well then probably I know what to put me under the tree at Christmas :smiley:
Thanks so much to tell how to spend money wise. :wink:

1 Like

My understanding of how a ground loop isolator works isnā€™t filtering, but two separate transformers which magnetically transfers the audio, but will not transfer electricity and therefore wonā€™t transfer the hum.
The use of these transformers of course may sound like the audio is being filteredā€¦
As a cheap, quick fix, Iā€™d say a ground loop isolator is worth a go, particularly if it means @Luke76 can be up and running before he gets a DAC, if thatā€™s the route he chooses to go.

Thatā€™s possible, when i looked up ground loop isolators online i found various explanations so it appears that perhaps different approaches are sometimes used interchangeably with these types of products. One that i came across is:

These circuits work by measuring the signal from the RCA cableā€™s center conductor. The signal is then compared to the signal on the RCAā€™s shield, which is called a ā€œreferenceā€ in electrical jargon. The difference between the signals is then amplified, which eliminates the noise.

Ultimately all these approaches are lossy and will reduce the sound quality, that is unavoidable. I would personally not use them long term for this reason!

1 Like

Richard,
may I ask another Rookie question.

How does all this streamers receive music then?

• airplay (Apple)?
  • Bluetooth (my wife using just normal Samsung mobile - NO Apple)?
  • of course via connection of Hard Disc etc.?

ā€¦

Thanks for your Know-how transfer :smiley:

If you have an internet connection then you can connect to online streaming services via Wifi or wired ethernet. Similarly you can also stream from any local server or music storage you may have (current gen streamers can serve and stream, meaning you could just plug in a USB drive with music files). You can use Airplay, but I would caution against Bluetooth as itā€™s mainly for convenience rather than quality, and connection is not so robust beyond a fairly short range.

Oh Dear -
in this I reveal my ignorance, having thought the ground loop isolators we recommend to be simple 1:1 transformers which are used to break the problematic multiple paths to earth.

1 Like

Another question concerning the Supernait 3.
Is the power button on the back to be turned off every time not using it? There seems to be no standby status?! Isnā€™t it strange to leave it on all the time - I mean how much electricity is used just to leave it turned ON?

BR Wolfgang

This has been covered a million times. Turn it on. Leave it on. Drive less to offset the CO2 emissions.

5 Likes

My SN2 is always just off cold to the touch. Clearly not dissipating much energy as heat.

Leaving it on all the time has minimal impact on electricity bills (and the bleedinā€™ climate).

Sorry but what means ā€žjust off cold to the touchā€œ? Sorry but I donā€™t understand this. :thinking::wink:

my supernait 3 is just slightly above ambient room temp, ie its faintly warm to the touch , so just above cold.

3 Likes

Slightly warm. Marginally above room temperature.

1 Like

The SN3 has Power Consumption (quiescent): 37VA.
This is written in the specs on the website.

Itā€™s not huge and much less than most other amps. But itā€™s not nothing and will cost a few quid a month. As mentioned, use renewable energy and offset it in other ways. Also take into account that in winter the heat dissipated by the SN3 does not have to come from the room heating

Thanks guys! :+1:t2:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.