Non-Black Vinyl

I had this misfortune of share a room with another undergraduate who was doing his degree in colour chemisty at Yorkshire’s No1 university.
He used to rattle on about how black was just very dark blue.

Clear will be the best as it won’t have had anything added to the mix.
Bit like silcone, Clear or should i say, transparent is the best at sticking, as its the most natural.
I have many different colour records and have never noticed any differences at all.

I believe all of Analogue Productions UHQR recordings are on clear virgin vinyl. The only one I have is Kind of Blue, it does sound sublime and smokes any other pressing of it I’ve ever heard. But they all go for pretty silly money

I think most of the fame of colored records comes from the fact that they are normally/historically “novelty” pressings not done with sound quality as the objective.

That’s different from picture discs, which are actually manufactured differently from normal records.

I once heard of a company that mixes crematorium ashes with vinyl to make an LP.

Believe they called themselves ‘And Vinyly’.

Might have this written into my will…

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That reminds me of the old joke when I snuff it the wife can put me in an egg timer and I can continue to work after I’m gone.

Yes, but do you get to choose what music is on that LP? You certainly should, as a (very) final request.

Chopin’s ‘Funeral’ sonata, perhaps?

The Beatles’ ‘Maxwell’s Silver Hammer’?

Lou Reed will almost certainly have something appropriate too.

Tomorrow I’m Smoke from Magic and Loss?

Unless of course it is “the black stuff” which if you shine a light through it is deep red.

2 Likes

I quit vinyl a few years back (I am not always a trend sensitive guy :-)) and by then coloured records was always o.k. as long as you stayed off the picture stuff.

But back in the 70s the coloured ones always meant trouble. Noise and clicks and pops.

According to the vinyl mastering guy at the company I worked it was something with the black they mixed in to the vinyl in manufacturing that made the record stronger, and during the years they came up with better colors that had the same effect. The exceptions were pictures and clear vinyl where they didn’t mix anything in.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.