non-DR Supercap vs HiCaps with NAC 282

I loved my 282/300DR combo! I upgraded to a 552 and would have no problem recommending the 282/SuperCap DR/300DR combo. Really engaging.

2 Likes

Yes when I joined Naimland, Naim use to suggest systems: I thought it went something like:

202/200

282/250

252/300

And Naimā€™s Best! The 500 Club!

Now if you are an Active Fan! WellšŸ˜!

RICHARD DANE ADMINISTRATOR

The NAC252 asks more of the source and the overall setup of the system too. By comparison the NAC282 is far more forgiving here. When you move to a better pre-amp and itā€™s a double-edged sword; you hear more going on but itā€™s also not unusual to suddenly hear a problem somewhere in the source or setup that was previously masked.

Well respected knowledgable member, I have used a NAP500, NAP250.2, CB NAP250, NAP160, NAP150x, NAP140 (upgraded 110), and a NAP110 with the NAC552. Thereā€™s not a single bad combination in there - I reckon the NAC552 has managed to get the best from each and every one of them

Me too. Iā€™d also advocate the benefits of a SC over one or two HiCaps on a 282. When I was demoed what an SC could do over a HC (pre DR days) on a 282 it was one of those wow moments. I decided in a about 30 secs that I had to have a SC. That was into a 250.2.

1 Like

MDS - I take it that was a non-DR Supercap?

Having spent a lot of time comparing 2 x HCDR to an SCDR on a 282 I think youā€™d be surprised how the addition of DR regulation makes this a much more nuanced issueā€¦

1 Like

It was, though a few years later I got it DRed.

Thanks - itā€™s a shame in a way I largely tried a HICAP DR vs my olive HICAPS before I serviced the latter.

Just strikes me that a 2nd hand Supercap could be just the thing to bring some good value improvement to the system vs the olive HICAPS, and could potentially allow a pre-upgrade too, it would also be DR upgradable assuming I could find a Supercap-2.

Going out on a limb, assuming you are in the States. Super Caps are a rare bird on this side of the pond!

Iā€™m specifically in the market for an 2013/14!

No recapping or Dr necessary!

Iā€™m thinking about just getting a second HCDR since SCDR seem so rare on the U.S. S/H market these days.

I wouldnā€™t make any rash moves, they have been known to pop up in Canada! Got my 282, Cdx2, and Black/Black Fraimlite from Canada, half of them. Got four tiers from the Netherlands.

Hereā€™s the deal sell your HCDR in the States look for an pre-loved unit in the UK. Tom Tom, Signals, etcā€¦ Or check the serial #s with Naim. From what I here, the difference between the HCDR & SCDR is marginal. Iā€™m just trying to make a lateral upgrade, since I got a great deal on my HCDR, which is an 2015 model!

Plus being an active fan, the SC is a necessity for the Snaxo 362. Just be patient one might pop up!

Eventually I will need a DRed PS for my Pre-amp regardless!

Cdx2>282/SCDR> SC>Snaxo>3 x 250.2s>Briks!

As we speak the 9 tier Fraimlite is in Place!

When its all said and done, I could live with Tri-amped Briks! The only problem, Iā€™ve been Active in the past!

Itā€™s all become a moot point for me anyway, at least for now and the near future. We visited my dealer today and he offered us a S/H XPS-DR he took on trade to audition (for our NDX2). After my wife listened to Bon Jovi Wanted Dead Or Alive ā€“ first without and then with the XPS ā€“ she cried at the loss of more cash and said she wanted to keep it. She really believed she wouldnā€™t hear the difference and would feel good about saying no. Didnā€™t happen. I doubt itā€™s going back to dealer, but I also doubt Iā€™m upgrading 282 PSU anytime soon. Still a big win.

The XPS -DR isnā€™t just an improvement on the NDX2, itā€™s absolutely transformative. My wife would be the bigger salesperson on that than I.

3 Likes

Letā€™s hope for my sake the XPS DR is transformative on DAC (+CD5XS) too, itā€™s in the boot of the car, going on over weekend

2 Likes

Well, Naimā€™s new policy of needing a service with a DR upgrade (and higher cost) has put me off as Iā€™d seen a recently serviced Supercap 2 for sale, and thought I could DR in the future, but now the combined cost would be silly for something not really necessary.

I think this is very wrong. Would you be forced into having your recently serviced car serviced again just because you had an alternator upgradeā€¦?

Iā€™ve had my Supercap 2 changing from 2 olive hicaps with an 82 for two weeks and am very happy with the improvements. The set up now just seems to be more effortless and has a greater sense of authority.

At this moment I cannot see the need to DR it.

So maybe get the SC2 and leave it as it is. Mine is a 2012 version and couldnā€™t be happier with it as it is!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.