Non DR to DR. What did it do for you?

DR is significant difference. As such, upgrading an existing amp to DR is exactly the same as buying a new power amp blind without testing it with your speakers.

Describing how much better DR is, is a bit simplistic. I upgrading a 250.2 to a 250dr thinking it would be the same only better. Well it was better but it also didn’t work with my speakers that well. It might as well have been a totally different power amp. I had carefully chosen a pair of speakers to match to the 250.2 and upgrading to DR broke the spell. In the end I needed new speakers for it to actually be a step forward.

So when upgrading something to DR, the question should be, would I buy a new power amp blind on a punt?

I think the bet is a lot safer for power supplies as they perform a simpler function with a fixed output. When it comes to power amps, DR is not the only thing that changed. The 250 and 300 were radically reworked.

3 Likes

Lower noise floor but a slightly drier sound. Took some adjusting but I’d choose it every time now.

I had my secondhand purchase and much in need of a service NAP300, serviced and DR’ed at the same time. prior to these works it sounded poorly defined in the bass and rolled off in the treble. Not at all exciting.

It sounded much more as I expected after the works although I do not know which made the bigger difference. I heard from Naim tech that they replace all of the electronics in the amp part during the DR upgrade. So you end up with more or less a new amp. That may be of value to some.

I do recall that the DR was much more expensive than a service alone.

Apart from being more open, more transparent, effortless, lower noise floor, better bass definition and more extended top end, what has DRing ever done for us?

8 Likes

It very much depends on what is connected…
My view all the NACs from the 202 to 552 benefited from the DR NAC Power supplies.
The NDS and current streamers benefit from DR.

The Naim DAC however seemed to prefer the non DR 555PS, with the non DR providing a more authoritative and balanced sound.
The CDX2 I found sounded most natural with non DR XPS2.

All in my opinion of course.

Main benefit with the NACs was clarity and apparent resolution, I didn’t hear any difference in noise floor, the white noise (hiss) from the NACs appeared the same irrespective of PSU type… on the 202 and 252 I found the DR version very much improved over non DR.

1 Like

I changed because my NAP300 was due a service and my dealer said “instead of getting a service why not do a trade-in. That way you get a better amp and a new 5 year warranty”.
So that’s what I did. It is better, it is more punchy and has a better grip on my difficult to drive Totem Mani-2 Signatures.

went from 200 to 300 non DR, loved the more relaxed feel of the 200 so the 300 just offered more of the same, superb focus, drive and warmth - 300 as I have said on here many time I think is the best ££ for ££ AMP in the NAIM range

purchassed the 300 in the autumn, sent back to HQ for the DR in early spring the DR just added more of everything - even more focus, tighter bass, mid range clarity, delighted on the DR upgrade

next one for me is SC from Non DR to DR with my 252

1 Like

“Non DR to DR. What did it do for you”

Emptied my pockets. :smiley:

4 Likes

Interesting. That’s exactly what I concluded. Got looked at like I was bonkers.

I replaced an olive xps with an xps dr
Using a cds2
Now the xps had not been serviced in roughly 8-9 yrs.
Major improvement in all areas with the xpsdr.
Not close.
David

1 Like

More transparent.

Is there a more meaningless phrase ?

.sjb

2 Likes

This past February I sent my 552 and 500 to Chris West at AV Options for a recap and DR.
I received them back in June (Covid) and I felt they needed 6 months to fully come on song.

The 552 I received back was a better and improved version of what it used to be.
The 500 I received back was like buying a brand new model.
DRAMATIC sums it up best

Best
Gregg

2 Likes

It’s a view I have shared from time to time on the previous forum, and certainly has not been a sole view, as your comment supports… so not sure who thought you were bonkers.
I also think some of got confused by servicing and DRing … both will make a significant difference, not necessarily an improvement… though expectation can correlate the two, and I suggest for some components like the CDX2 it’s the servicing that is key.
Each to their own, and the important thing is learn to appreciate what you prefer, rather than the marketeers, dealers or users elsewhere.

1 Like

The DR PSU’s on the NAC’s are a real improvement. The DR’d NAP’s are, to my tastes, awful. Strange digitised bass and gutless. No swing or character. I much preferred the music I like to listen to with the non-DR power amps, in other words. As others have said, non DR to DR power amps are a different sound altogether and, to my ears, worse.

Probably ‘more musical’.

1 Like

I have had a 250, 300, and 500 - all non DR’d
My 500 is now DR.

Sorry however I cannot at all agree with your comment above. The amp DR upgrade is a major improvement for the better. Many have said a 250DR sounds better than a 300 non DR.

Everyone hears things differently I guess

2 Likes

And that’s the point. I have heard 200/250DR vs non DR versions of both. Have owned a 300 but never heard a 300DR. All with various speakers. I think it’s either a character of sound you like or don’t. And I don’t. Thankfully the non-DR versions are now considerably less expensive, too.

I had my 300 serviced and DR’d about 3 years ago and after the initial wow effect I now have mixed feelings about the result. The DR is more dynamic, more detailed, has a punchier bass and a lower noise floor (all positive, of course), but the overall sound is so much brighter that I’m not sure I’d do it again.

For that reason I’ve decided not to get my 552 PS and XPS2 DR’d when I have them serviced.

Claude

I have found that to be the case and am happy with the change overall (inc. the less weight/extra space on the Fraim), but it is a different sound signature, more punchy and forward than non-DR…

Thanks all.

I am having the 300 DR’d and will compare that to the unserviced but excellent sound from the 250-2.

If the 300DR is a success I will then have the 250 DR’d. If not it will get a regular service.