Non Naim equipment also on Hydra?

That why there’s a fuse there, to protect the cable.

2 Likes

That seems like a nonsense statement to me. A 0.75mmsq cable can be sold but would be dangerous if you tries to power a 3KW electric fire with it.

It presumably has had to undergo the relevant safety checks to be legally sold and
to be CE marked but this does not mean that it is safe ‘regardless of what might be connected’. That is just not true.

Not on the website. But the Hydra I had came with a warning that it must only be used with Naim equipment.

I don’t think electric fires are allowed to have IEC inlets, and have to have a hard wired captive cable.

Apart from that I seriously doubt anyone is going to use a Grahams Hydra for anything outside of normal domestic (hifi) products. And even if something does suddenly draw a huge amperage that’s why the plug fuse is there to blow and prevent damage to the cable.

Beyond that I think it would be best for the maker themselves to advise should anybody be worried.

PJL, you are obviously concerned here about your Grahams Hydra so I would advise you to contact them and present them with your specific concerns and await their answers. When you have them, by all means post up on here, but until then it does all appear to be somewhat alarmist and arguing for the sake of it.

1 Like

You only stated a few of my posts.
But as i said, amp load will determine whether it’s safe to use with other equipment.
Star Earth has nothing to do with it.
A single plug extension lead is star wired on all connections
It’s only when you add more than one plug, or in this case cable, that you can then use different ways like daisy chaining them all, as it’s cheaper like this to do.

1 Like

You are deliberately splitting hairs here Richard. You know perfectly well what I meant - it’s the principle that’s important. 0.5mmsq cable even is perfectly legal to sell but that dowsn’t mean it’s safe to use with anything. I’ll stand by what I said. What you stated was utter nonsense.

Agrreed.

I don’t have one any more since I no longer use Naim kit, other then Muso QBII’s.

I’m sorry you think I’m arguing for the sake of it. I thought I was raising perfectly legitimate safety concerns. I wouldn’t class failing to comply with the manufacturer’s advice as being ‘alarmist’, particularly where mains products are involved.

1 Like

OK, let us know what Grahams say then.

1 Like

Will contact them after Easter.

2 Likes

I appreciate everyone chipping in. Hopefully Grahams can further clarify things :slightly_smiling_face:.

In the meantime I found this picture from Graham’s:

If you look very carefully you can just make out the wording on the label:

Must only be used with Naim equipment

That pretty much settles it doesn’t it? But I will attempt to obtain further clarification from Grahams for the sake of interest.

From an electrical point of view not a problem at all. Different if the other way round with the Hydra fused for higher current than the smaller cables can safely take, but if the Hydra us fused suitably for its 0.75mm2 then it is safe for any cable not less than 0.75mm2. (And usable from an electrical point of view with any kit drawing current not exceeding the Hydra rating).

1 Like

Since my previous topic about this seems to have disappeared for no reason I’ll post the reaction from Graham’s here for those who are interested to connect other items than Naim to the Hydra:

Answer from Graham’s:

This does make a lot of sense as the Hydra is designed to complement and make use of other star earthed items. These are only Naim items from Grahams but this also complements other manufacturers who use star-earthing in their products. It is safe to use like this. We’re very pleased to hear that it makes such a good improvement for your system and hope you continue to enjoy it for many years to come.

Question:
Recently I traded my 3 box gear and speakers for a Naim 333+332 in combination with active ATC SCM40’s.

This meant I have one spare wire on the Hydra. I used this end to connect a star wired power block (Wireworld Matrix II) in which I plugged the original power cables of the ATC’s.
To my surprise this sounded so much better than when the block was connected with the Wireworld Stratus 7 cable. There is so much rhythm, drive, punch and dynamics suddenly. Now my question is if this is safe or OK to connect things like this.

Depends on the total load on one socket with a 13 amp plug.

My entire system is ultimately connected to a single plug in the wall. Amp, streamer, phono stage plus psu, turntable psu, minidisc player. I have 10 sockets star earthed but a single connection to the wall.

1 Like

I’ve moved your post to the original thread.

Just to answer one of the more contentious issues of the thread, did they say anything about whether it was electrically unsafe to connect non-Naim equipment?

1 Like

In the answer they say it’s perfectly safe to connect other devices.

Thank you.